Loch Fyne trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loch Fyne trip

Recently my son and I had a week’s holiday at Loch Fyne, we stayed in a lodge at Minard Castle which is right on the shore of the Loch. There are some very safe rocks that drop into pretty deep water, it took 20 mins to walk to the rocks and be fishing, so we were there all hours!

Right from the start the place was jumping with mackerel, usually getting multiples. As for fishing on the bottom, it was a long way down! The doggies were there, good fun as they wriggle and turn, feels like you’ve hooked a monster, but not much else. We tried float fishing, not much luck … so we tried free lining, which proved to be good fun, catching Pollack and Codling, nothing huge though, putting most back.

The midges were a problem, but we were well prepared, lots of Repel and head nets, so didn’t get bitten that often, just the hassle of having your vision limited.

I would recommend a visit, the fishing is so varied and I’m sure we only touched on what’s available. You can visit the Minard Castle website and check availability.

There are lots of other marks, there is a fishing tackle shop in Lochgilphead (about half an hour away), the owner, Archie, is very friendly and helpful, we had a map and he marked the suitable spots.

We visited Inverary pier one day, there were quite a few lads there catching mackerel, I had little time, so I restricted myself to 5 casts …. and caught fish with 3, so no shortages there. Talking to locals, rays and doggies are caught on the bottom at night.

nice report and welcome to the site. Take some pics next time - lovely place.

Comment

Great report, thanks for posting. I have fished Loch Fyne once before off the point beside Port Ann (just north of Lochgilphead). It was recommended to me by a local in the pub the night before and was a short walk through the forest onto a canny rock mark. I only managed a couple of doggies and an undersize codling though. Hope to go back someday.

Comment

Heading up that way in a couple of weeks, may be wirth a drop in while I'm passing. Great, timely report.
        Cheers.
        Michael.

Comment

Working...
        X