MOG week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOG week

Thanks to all who gave advice on the bass in my previous thread, it's really much appreciated.

So, we had an excellent week up the Mull with a variety of species, good weather and good memories to take home.

The seas were jumping with pollock (literally!) and a good stamp too - we caught at least 20 between 2-4 lb during our 6 days. Best pollock a touch over 7lb - beauty, caught on a jelly. 3 pollock caught over 5lb on jellies / spinners which were probably weapon of choice for the week, although bait did well too.
    There was an abundance of dogfish as usual, mackerel 3s/4s at a time on traces and plenty wrasse too.
    A few coley and little codling showed up also.
    We did the bass fishing one night and it was champion on bait - lugworm with 1/0s used. Excellent fighting fish - and bite like hell too, one bite pulled over the rodstand!
    I didn't weigh any of the bass, but largest was no more than 2.5lb

Really enjoyable weeks fishing and beautiful scenery as ever.

Here's a few pictures of the trip. Hopefully get a few more once my brother sends me the over

Thanks

Best shore catch 2016 - 7.5lb cod, Seaton Carew!
    CS RNLI representative – www.rnli.org

Memories.

your right there Liam,looks like a GREAT 6 days away.
    welldone both of yous.

Comment

Good trip, brings back memories of when me and our kid used to go up there,had some good times

Comment

Cracking report and good stamp of fish big well done lads!!
        Can't Catch Yesterdays Fish

Comment

Thanks

I've been going up annually about 15 years and my grandad has been going up 30+ years. This year was one of the best I've been.
          For me, the fish is just a bonus - I love the place.

That's my youngest brother in the photo. Have to say, he's turning into a bit of a pro with his lure fishing.
          Absolute pleasure to land that fish for him. He had another less than half a pound lighter caught quite literally 2 yards out, jumped onto his lure.
          He fought that one in the photo all the way in though, on 19lb line - my heart was pounding

Comment

Awesome trip. Great job guys..! Fantastic to see some pics to go with a great report....!

Comment

Where abouts do you fish on the MOG Liam? I fished there just the once on the West Bay (where you can camp) but only got doggies.
              Cheers.
              Michael.

Comment

The doggies are all over mate, its a bit like the Mackie on the boat here in the summer - you gotta get past them to get the cod...up there, you're just praying your bait attracts a nice Pollock before the doggies!

I fished several marks this year, I go up for the pollock personally and my favourite marks are Port Patrick, Logan and the MOG itself. If you're after specifics feel free to PM me or post here mate and happy to share marks.

Comment

Working...
                X