A day on the Clyde

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A day on the Clyde

Up with the lark today hoping to get out on my own across the Clyde. A bit risky because of my back, but I was like a man possessed!

I awoke to clear blue skies and I popped down to the corner shop for rolls and cold meat. Not only was it sunny, it was actually warm! I returned to the flat and filled my rolls and had a wee sneaky bacon one with my coffee. My fishing bag was already packed so I relaxed with my breakfast. High tide was not until 615pm so I had decided to get the 220pm ferry and get the bus to Blairmore to arrive at 1530pm. I wasn't sure if my back would stand up to the journey and some fishing so I thought just a few hours would do. I also had to pick up ragworm from my local tackle shop.

Anyway I was going stir crazy looking out the window at the beautiful day, so I just metaphorically got on my bike and hit the bait shop. Managed to catch the 1220 ferry to Dunoon and the bus to Blairmore, arriving at 130pm. It was gorgeous!

I had 2 rods today, one for bait and the other to see if I could cope with some spinning for early mackerel. I set up the bait rod with a Rigs n Bits 2 hook flapper and baited up with the ragworm. The worm was a bit mushy, I think they had been in his fridge all weekend and they tended to blow when I hooked them, Mmm. Anyway I cast out and set the rod down.

The pier was in a bit of a state. There were plant pots scattered around the pier - covering up the holes in the wood and the bothy had big holes in 2 sides, looked like vandalism to me. The wooden bench also had a large burn mark on it. I was shocked. It wasn't like this last year and it is in such a rural area I was surprised to see the state it was in. There are only 3 piers left on the Clyde that you can fish from and Strone is already ramshackle, so it is a real worry. It is owned by a trust and they clearly don't have the money to fix it up. I was really shocked at how much it had deteriorated in the last year.

Anyway to the fishing. After only a few minutes the bait rod started to nod a little and I struck and wound in to find this little guy on the end of the line. A tiny saithe(or coalfish as you call them). Despite its size, I was delighted. Took a quick photo and returned it. Baited up again and tried to cast out but got a crack off. I have't had one of those in ages. Note to self - if you buy a second hand reel, change the line! I only packed 4 rigs and 4 leads but I re rigged only to find one of my leads had it's wire missing, so only 2 leads left! I baited up again and cast out. I rigged my spinning rod with a nice 2 ounce Chinese spinner but was interrupted with the bait rod again. Another saithe, same size. I caught a dozen of these throughout the day, or maybe the same one twelve times!

tried the spinning rod and first cast caught this little chap. About 7 inches long and quite the smallest mackerel I have ever caught! I was pretty pleased though as I knew there must be bigger and better out there. I immediately cast out again - another crack off! Can't blame old line this time, not sure what happened? Anyway put on a new spinner but by the time I cast out again - nothing! I could only cast maybe 5 or 6 times in a row before I had to take a rest. So spinning was sporadic throughout the day, resting more than fishing. The bait rod was still catching tiny saithe but also snagged up one time(I don't remember there being snags at Blairmore). So now I was down to my last lead. Still I caught regularly until the mushy ragworm ran out, so I packed up that rod and was left with just the odd cast of the mackerel rod. I did notice a few small fish jumping(seatrout?) but they weren't interested in my spinner and I caught nothing else on that rod., It takes a special kind of angler to catch just 1 tiny mackerel in over 4 hours of fishing!

However I was chuffed to get another 2 species for the SAR hunt. One more and I will get mackerel status, whoo hoo, never done that before!

By 430pm the clouds started to roll in and the breeze freshened, so I decided to pack up and head for the pub in Dunoon! By this time my back was pretty sore and I was not able to wait for high tide, so just as well I went early. I had a couple of pints at the Best Western in Dunoon, then caught the 740pm ferry home. I am a bit sore today but I enjoyed my day out. Hopefully the next weather window is at the weekend, as I miss my partner in crime. Mind you I don't miss getting my ass handed to me!

I sent her photos and she made fun of the size - I have heard that before!!
    Last edited by kayos; 11-06-2019, 06:41 PM.
    2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Nice photos Mark. Am up on the east coast for a few days from Saturday - will try and match your piccies. Weather looks a bit better.

Comment

I the good,old days have gone.
      You done canny,mark.

Comment

Great read and pictures in a lovely area.

Comment

Great report Mark but how come you were on your own?

The state of disrepair is sad and the seat looks like someone has had a disposable barbeque on it which won’t have helped.

Comment

Scotland

Used to love fishing up there in the 70s and 80s

Comment

Originally posted by Kev1n View Post
              Great report Mark but how come you were on your own?

The state of disrepair is sad and the seat looks like someone has had a disposable barbeque on it which won’t have helped.
              It really is sad, it was fine 2 summers ago.

I was on my own Kevin because it was a weekday and Lynn was working. Schools close end of June though, so not long now.

Comment

Try Kilmun Jetty or the point (Grahams Point?). One and a half hours either side of high or low water. Dunno what they are like now but they were very good shots in the 70's, specially around the turn of the tides at night.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                  Try Kilmun Jetty or the point (Grahams Point?). One and a half hours either side of high or low water. Dunno what they are like now but they were very good shots in the 70's, specially around the turn of the tides at night.
                  Haha, everywhere on the Clyde was good in the 70'S. Kilmun Jetty has fallen into the sea mate.

Comment

Cracking post mark
                    have you got a cloth

Comment

great read and nice pics

Comment

Originally posted by kayos View Post
                        Haha, everywhere on the Clyde was good in the 70'S. Kilmun Jetty has fallen into the sea mate.
                        You sure the jetty is doomed? I'll take your word for it but it still looks fairly intact on GoogleMaps (image@2019) and surely the point is still fishable? Good tide run in that area.

Comment

Oh you mean Kilmun Pier. That is still there.........just. Fenced off and broken down, the jetty has gone.

The point is fishable with a chance of a sea trout. However very shallow water, so I prefer the pier.
                          Last edited by kayos; 15-06-2019, 10:56 PM.

Comment

I know the big cod have gone mate. They used to spawn about February ..... Meanwhile get/make yourself a drop net (small mesh), bait it with half a macky, guts and all. Drop it off the end of the pier. Give it an hour. Pull it in, see if it's full of buck whelks/hermit crabs. If so, stick them on your hook on yer light gear and hoy it out ..... Meanwhile (again) get yer heavy gear out, one hook, 8.0/10.0. Get yer Macky. Cut it in half. Tie it on. Heed and guts annarl. Fish it on the ratchet for Conger eels. As usual, bait fishing is normally much better in the dark and on the big tides.

Best of luck. The Doctor :O)

Comment

great pics and report Mark,well done on the species too!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

Working...
                              X