Fishing with Mr. Grumpy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing with Mr. Grumpy!

Mark was ticked off as soon as he woke up this morning. We needed to go to the tackle shop for bait to satisfy his float rig craving. However we were both on the wine last night, so driving was out and I sent him on the bus - he was not a happy camper! I did, in his absence, make the brekkie and the packed lunch, so I thought that was fair. Bacon rolls and B&M's finest strong filter coffee, just what I needed for my slight hangover! We packed the rod bag and a chair for my injured man and off we popped for yet another bus.

Working for CalMac for 30 years Mark still has a pass that gets himself on the boats and buses free, a great bonus., Even better, as his partner, I get on the boat free too, but not the buses unfortunately. So for the pair of us to go from Greenock to Gourock return on the bus, Gourock to Dunoon return on the ferry and Dunoon to Strone/Blairmore return on yet another bus costs under a tenner! I can't believe I will get my bus pass next July, however on the plus side, the whole trip will then be free!

When Mark went for the bait there was clear blue skies, but by the time we got to Gourock the clouds had rolled in - making Mark grumpy again! The ferry and bus to Strone was pleasant, I always love the journey, so picturesque. We arrived about 1330 and as usual there was no one on the
    pier - just how we like it. By now it had started to brighten up and indeed the sun did come out for the rest of the day and I think I spotted a wee smile on the old git's face.

It didn't last long!

I quickly and expertly rigged my spinning rod, while Mark spent an age trying to get his float rig set up on the third rod. He was singularly unimpressed I had brought the reel with the braid on it for some reason. I watched him trying to thread the braid through the float, he couldn't manage it and got so angry. It was hilarious, I laughed so much it hurt. Finally, after about 20 minutes he had the braid through and the rest of the float rig set up. He opened the ragworm tub and the air went blue - they were all dead! I did sympathise with him, as 2 weeks ago they were mush too and this time even worse. £4.50 for a few dead rag! A disgrace really but what can we do? It is the only tackle shop within 25 miles and I think the guy knows it. No way he should be selling that stuff. We were both upset. Anyway he did his best to bait up and tried to cast out. More profanity! He had threaded the braid through the side of the top ring! Haha I laughed so much I nearly had an accident!

Well the rod got chucked to the ground and that was the end of the float experiment! I kept my counsel and he silently rigged his spinning rod. Then what I hoped wouldn't happen, happened. I caught a mackerel, oops! Not very big, but my first fish of the year, so I was chuffed but tried not to show it. To be fair, Mark was magnanimous and was as happy for me as he could be in his rage!

Eventually he was ready to fish, seat at the edge of the pier and off he went casting out. I have to be fair to him here, he managed to cast from a seated position, farther than I was casting standing up! I had another few mackerel, although really small, which Mark said was the same 2 weeks previously at Blairmore. Then at last he caught a fish! Just a wee mackerel, but at least he had a fish!

Just then a father and son(about 10 years old) turned up. Unusual. The father said they had gone to Blairmore Pier, but there was 5 fishing on it. Wow, there is never usually that number on there. So glad we didn't go there! Anyway they set up with the usual string of tinsel nonsense and Dad cast out for son and then for himself. First cast they were both in, which disgruntled us both and then
    made us even more disgruntled to see them putting 6 inch mackerel in a poly bag! Why do people do that? Mark made a comment, which went down like a lead balloon!

We weren't catching, so Mark changed to a green sparkly eel thing with a jighead and tried that. It worked first cast! Another mackerel, again not very big, so back it went. I then had 2 in 2 casts and both were decent, so in the breakfast bag they went. Mark again commented to the father and son that these were the size you can legally keep, such a lovely atmosphere darling!

My man looking cool in his new prescription sunglasses.

Does my bum look big in this?

We both caught a few more and at last Mark got a keeper - thank the lord! Another smile almost broke across his chops and with that he was done. His back was hurting him quite a lot, so packed up. I kept at it for another 10 minutes to no avail, but we had 4 for tomorrow's breakfast, so at least I was happy!

No SAR species card for me, as I forgot it, but I'm sure I will catch another mackerel this summer - I damn well better!

So I packed up too and we headed for the pub at the top of the pier. There was a swan sitting on her nest. Seems a bit late in the year for eggs not to be hatched.?

The pub was open, being a Saturday, looks nice, the derelict house next door, not so much. Like Blairmore the pier is getting shabbier each year'

An eventful day, Mark was grumpy for most of it, but he cheered up in the pub and we had a laugh. Even more so when the father and son came off the pier and I asked if they had caught anymore Joeys - I don't think they knew what I meant - but we laughed heartily when the dad said he used the mackerel and caught 2 sharks!

I presume he meant dogfish!

He also said that proved we were wrong about him keeping the tiny mackerel.

Mark nearly choked on his lager!

It's good to know there are anglers dumber than us!

Headed for home.

Dunoon Pier closed to the public.

The once famous Gantock rocks - huge cod there until 1983 when Thatcher scrapped the 3 mile limit!

Until next time........................

great read n great pics n what a nice place

Comment

Haha, that’s a great write-up and photo report Lynn. I don’t blame Mark for being grumpy when he opened the tub of mushy rag or when the two numpties started bagging undersized fish.
      The derelict house would be an ideal retirement project for the pair of you with the pub on one side the pier on the other and lovely views in between.

Comment

Great report and Pictures Lynn--big well done to Mark for not giving in to the bad back!!!!!!!
        AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

what a report, really enjoyed it

Comment

Best read there's been on here for some time.

Comment

great read
              have you got a cloth

Comment

It takes so little to whisk you back over 50 years, and re-kindle fond memories. In the late 50's/early 60's, my Uncle had a Market Garden in Kilcreggan, and we used to spend a couple of weeks there, every Summer. That's where I first got 'hooked' on Fishing (sorry!) We used to wander up to the area round 'Tut-Tut' (Google it ) and spend many a happy hour there, actually bringing Fish back for Tea a few times! I even remember the astonishment I felt, when a Submarine slowly coasted past us on the surface, and my Dad saying "We'll catch nothing now - that bugger'll have scared all the Fish!"
                Thanks for this Report from just across the Loch. I realise things aren't as good as they once were, as far as Fishing's concerned, but it was still nice to read something about the Area.
                Like they say, "Small World".
                Last edited by Silver Surfer; 04-07-2019, 09:54 PM. Reason: Missed important point out.

Comment

YES,got to addmit,like all other reports,was a SUPER REPORT.

Comment

top report lynne nice one
                    consett warlord retired

Comment

Thanks for the nice comments lads, much appreciated.

Comment

Great read nice one
                        Feel free to take a look at my blog.

http://edds-fishingtales.blogspot.com/

Cheers eddie t

Comment

Working...
                        X