Where's the Mackerel????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's the Mackerel????

Being my birthday and Mark taking me out at night, we decided that the weather wasn't good enough to go across the pond, nor did
    we have time, as we had a restaurant booking in Glasgow at 730pm at "Arisaig."

So much to my chagrin we tootled off to the Greenock Waterfront. Now I have not fished there for 3 years and was not too enamoured by the prospect, but what choice did we have?

The dregs of society were out in force today, "taps aff", super lager in hand and behaving the way you would expect. I don't like to be elitist and I know we are summer only anglers ourselves, but we don't dump our rubbish in the sea, we check behind us when we cast, we don't cross other angler's lines and basically are careful as the waterfront is busy with kids, dogs etc all passing by regularly. Also there was dredgers working the channel, making a lot of noise, which didn't help my mood!

It all got a bit too much for me and I had a wee nap!

Our combined Mackerel fishing has been pretty dire this summer.

Mark - Blairmore - 1 tiny Mackerel and 1 tiny Saithe.

Us - Strone - 4 Mackerel between us (I had 3 of them!).

Mark and Reg - 2 tiny Codling( both for Reg!).

Today - Us - Blanked!!

Where's the fricking Mackerel??

It's 16th July and we blanked!!

Seriously, what is going on?? If we can't catch Mackerel on the 16th July, when can we?

Is this the end of Mackerel fishing in the Clyde?

Is the North Sea fishing fleet netting them all before they reach the UK?

If it is, Mark will have to buy that caravan in Whitley Bay, I keep harping on about, if he wants to catch anymore fish!
    So after just 2 hours we packed up and went to the pub!

Anyway on a brighter note I had a lovely birthday meal (can't believe I will be 60 next year!) in Glasgow, Mark splashed out and bought me my favourite - Oysters, lovely!

We chatted about maybe having a weekend in Eyemouth and a 6 hour trip on Bee Cool. It has a long bench in the middle of the boat, so Mark could fish from a seated position - watch this space.

We were in Sofia, Bulgaria last week, what a brilliant city it is. Prices in Sofia were about a £1 for a pint, same price as a coffee. £1.30 for a glass of decent wine and a 2 course meal for two, with drinks for under £25 (and that was a lot of drink!). Our apartment was only £183 for 7 nights. Would definitely go back, as there is still a lot to see and day trips we didn't manage to go on.

Out and about in Sofia.

Awe get over it Lynn, we had a great holiday and you had a lovely birthday. Next time we will catch some Mackerel for your Brekkie.
    2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Comment

Originally posted by kayos View Post
      Awe get over it Lynn, we had a great holiday and you had a lovely birthday. Next time we will catch some Mackerel for your Brekkie.
      thanks for reply MARK, some how i couldent find LYNNS post.
      should be plenty,MACKEREL YOUR NEXT,SESSION OUT.
      GOOD LUCK,BOTH OF YOUS.

Comment

Working...
      X