No announcement yet.

Bluey for cod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

only tried it the once on ssp and got a nice coalie tend to use Mackie with rag or lug.
    once tried crab sticks but a problem trying to keep it on the hook falls apart
    consett warlord retired

Comment

great bait had a couple of canny cod from craster on bluey and squid tied to a pennel rig bigger the better mind you it stinks but its a top bait

Comment

Always in me bait box "have had cod on bluey alone never fish without it

Comment

Originally posted by LiamNE View Post
          Seems to be the current fad doesnt it? and not just for cod...

Shops seem to be very willing to sell if and recommend it, but would be interesting to see if anyone has caught on it.
          Used it for pollock in SW Scotland this year - nothing, lures fished much better.
          THE bait for ray's,a lot better than macky when tipping your werm when ytin bashing.macky's too mushy,bluey is a lot firmer n has more oil content.Bluey is a very versatile bait,like mentioned above has tempted sum rite zoo creatures too.Very cheap,shop around but can be found less than £2 for a pk of 3,I only pay £1.85 for a 3pk,so for that money allways have a freezer full,ready for the ray sessions.

Comment

I agree with hound hunter in that bluey has more oil content than mackerel but I find it mushier so it's best used partly defrosted but if it goes too soft then use whole sections or a long fillet folded/doubled over when targeting bigger fish like cod, pollock etc.

Comment

Bluey was all I used in the winter but have started mixing with mussel with better results ie a mussel sausage with a good chunk o bluey bound on

Comment

Originally posted by spongebob View Post
                Bluey was all I used in the winter but have started mixing with mussel with better results ie a mussel sausage with a good chunk o bluey bound on
                Nice combo
                Bluey n razor a nice cocktail too

Comment

prefer to use my own caught makeral which is frozen same day. individually wrapped in foil, then wrapped in news paper. the makeral when defrosted is loads better quality then that of some tackle shops especially some of the bluey which goes to mush. makes you wonder how many times its been defrosted.
                  like said sometimes helps to use half frozen I wreckon.

if I was to choose between my caught makeral or bluey tackle shop mush it would be the makeral anydays. think it stays in tact longer.
                  having said that if I could catch bluey from the pier i'd probably prefer the bluey.
                  its all about how its frozen, I use a fast freezer and each one double wrapped up. bleeding cracking bait and free

Comment

Working...
                  X