Lobster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lobster

I got myself a couple of good quality lobster pots recently and was pleasantly surprised when I caught 4 first time in. Two for tea and two went back for next time

I have a license for the use of pots but my question is When foraging on the shore is it legal to keep a lobster if you do not have a license? My m8 and I have found loads this summer but have always put them back as we had no license at the time. some say you can forage and take what you want? within size limits. I would be grateful for clarification if anyone knows. I do my foraging / potting in Northumberland.

Great fun exploring the rock pools on some of the very low tides.

Cheers

Jonny
    PB Ling 14.5lb (AUG 2013 Stingray)

Originally posted by jonny_s View Post
    I got myself a couple of good quality lobster pots recently and was pleasantly surprised when I caught 4 first time in. Two for tea and two went back for next time

I have a license for the use of pots but my question is When foraging on the shore is it legal to keep a lobster if you do not have a license? My m8 and I have found loads this summer but have always put them back as we had no license at the time. some say you can forage and take what you want? within size limits. I would be grateful for clarification if anyone knows. I do my foraging / potting in Northumberland.

Great fun exploring the rock pools on some of the very low tides.

Cheers

Jonny
    Mate, I believe you need a Limited Shellfish Permit, which entitles you to 2 lobsters and 10 crabs daily. In addition I think this allows you to use 10 pots. I nearly fell fowl to the rule a few months back, but I did not have any license. Please check the facts as you need to be 100% sure.
    Hope this helps John

17lb 10 oz cod (shore)Beadnell

Comment

You're right,it's good fun, I call it rock-pooling for adults.

Northumberland fisheries district covers from the Tyne northwards, if you fish south of there then other regs apply and you'll need a different licence.

You don’t need a licence to forage or cleek for crabs and lobsters but you will need one if you fish with pots. You can use up to 5 pots which must be licenced with a tag and escape gap. For £10 you get 5 tags, one for each pot, watch out that the licence is annual so runs from January to January.
      Potting or cleeking, you can keep 2 lobsters per day which has gone up from only one in recent years. There are minimum size limits for crabs and lobsters. Any undersized ones, softies, berried (carrying eggs) or ones with a “V” notch in their tail must be released where you caught them.

If you fish an area often enough you’ll get to know the regulars who fish pots there. Don’t lift other’s pots, the lads you’ll get to know look after each other and you should do the same. Come summer it’s not unusual for tourists to raid the pots, one even tried walking off with one of mine.

All the details you need are in here: https://www.nifca.gov.uk/wp-content/...ted-7.5.19.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Kev1n View Post
        You're right,it's good fun, I call it rock-pooling for adults.

Northumberland fisheries district covers from the Tyne northwards, if you fish south of there then other regs apply and you'll need a different licence.

You don’t need a licence to forage or cleek for crabs and lobsters but you will need one if you fish with pots. You can use up to 5 pots which must be licenced with a tag and escape gap. For £10 you get 5 tags, one for each pot, watch out that the licence is annual so runs from January to January.
        Potting or cleeking, you can keep 2 lobsters per day which has gone up from only one in recent years. There are minimum size limits for crabs and lobsters. Any undersized ones, softies, berried (carrying eggs) or ones with a “V” notch in their tail must be released where you caught them.

If you fish an area often enough you’ll get to know the regulars who fish pots there. Don’t lift other’s pots, the lads you’ll get to know look after each other and you should do the same. Come summer it’s not unusual for tourists to raid the pots, one even tried walking off with one of mine.

All the details you need are in here: https://www.nifca.gov.uk/wp-content/...ted-7.5.19.pdf
        Appreciate the replies, lads, rock pooling for adults is brilliant As stated I am fully licensed with tags and abide by the rules ( min size, berried and notched tail ) was just wondering if the average joe wandering along the beach could take one if it met all the usual size /condition criteria.

I set my pots and wait for the tide to cover them before leaving and back to watch next tide go out to retrieve have to say there appears to be a very healthy population along where I have been setting the pots so I don't feel too bad about taking a couple every now and then.

Cheers

jonny
        PB Ling 14.5lb (AUG 2013 Stingray)

Comment

Working...
        X