Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another rod question

Hi all,

Fishing with a century TT sport but looking for something a little lighter/softer to fish the clean - mixed ground. Have been looking at the century match/super match rods but someone has recommended I look at the AFAW Tournament Match Mk2.

Needless to say I'm a little overwhelmed so sorry to burden the forum with, yet another rod question.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I got the leeda icon match for the price its a good rod why go and pay top price if its just going to be a back up rod.
    my other rod is a zipplex sst.
    consett warlord retired

Comment

From what I hear the tourney match might be a bit too powerful for what your after. I know a few people with them who rate the rods highly but more in the mixed ground sort of area. Nice tips and powerful lower down. The tt match is a lovely rod. I'm trying to find one myself! It may even be worth looking at the tt lite or ultra lite depending on the ground you fish. If you can find a tt super match LD then its a terrible rod but let me know who has it for sale!! Haha. Lovely bit of kit!. I don't think there are many 'bad' century rods mate so its more of a case of finding the right one to suit your needs. Best of luck with the shopping!!
      Last edited by Juliogeordio; 01-01-2015, 10:17 PM.
      "In order to becomes old and wise, first you must be young and stupid."

PB. Ling - 12lb 6oz. Cod - 11lb 6oz, Coley - 3lb 6oz, Pollock - 4lb 1oz, Flounder - 1lb 11oz, Plaice - 1lb 10oz, Whiting 1lb 9oz.

North east bass fishing addict.
      PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

Thanks for the replies lads.

Dale - I've just been told I can give one of those a bash when the lad comes back from his holiday, so hopefully that will shed some light on that.

Juliogeordio - I'm getting to try the AFAW this weekend! So that'll be nice too. I've looked (online) at the match, super match and the LD version apart from casting rating it's hard to pick one! I have a ZZiplex F1 for the lighter stuff, lovely light rod but doesn't like strong tides etc.

Which of the century match rods have you tried? Is the TTSMLD the popular choice?

Thanks again lads.

Comment

that's a good thing to do try before you buy, I have taken my leeda icon match on the last two outings and like the rod nice rod to handle also my casting has improved more so moving the reel seat down to the bottom of the rod with the abu reel seat.
          had to have a few chucks before I felt ok using the rod with the reel at the bottom but once you see the improvement in distance well worth it.
          consett warlord retired

Comment

The Tip Tornado Ultra Lite is maybe what you are looking for, I use mine on the beaches in the summer and I find it excellent. Don't be fooled by the Ultra Lite name it is no floppy stick, not just for dabs and whiting, I have pulled in smoothhound and ray with it no problem at all. I have had the Tourney match now for a few weeks and have found it to be one of the best rods I have used, a powerful rod with excellent bite detection, looking forward to pairing it up with the UL for some hound hunting in the summer.
            People who live in glass houses have to answer the door.

Comment

another rod question

Where abouts do you live mate? Anywhere near Gateshead if so could meet you and you can have a go with my TT lite.

Comment

Fishingmark is spot on with his comment on the ultralite - silly choice of name really, misleading.

The ultra lite is rated smooth ground but it can handle mixed no bother at all.
                I would however recommend the TTLDSM as your ideal rod based on what your looking for, although these rods are hard to come by second hand due to popularity. The TTLDSM is so easy and smooth, its a pleasure to fish with and also cast. The ultralite and the LDSM with fixed spool and braid will get you 100 yards everytime with no effort, the two rods are actually very very similar.

I reluctantly gave up my ultralite recently, only because I felt it was almost the same rod as the other mentioned. I do still have my TTLDSM and you are welcome to come have a look/give it a chuck - PM me if you like.
                Best shore catch 2016 - 7.5lb cod, Seaton Carew!
                CS RNLI representative – www.rnli.org

Comment

Thanks for feedback and offers, very kind of you! You have pm's.

A little more to think about, but have a better idea now, cheers.

Comment

Yes liam I aint selling this one on like lol. A cccld or a ttldsm would be my choice of rods cccld doesn't lose sensitivity but you gain the ability to cast a heavier lead if needed. You can quite easily see a rockling bite with a 6oz lead holding bottom.

Comment

Working...
                    X