Unusual Catch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual Catch

Here's what I believe to be a strange catch for shore fishing on the east coast, last night (Tues 20th Sept) while fishing at the bottom of South Shields pier, I caught a 2lb Spotted Dogfish. It was taken from the harbour side on a strip of mackerel.
    Last edited by Trevor; 21-09-2011, 06:49 AM. Reason: spelling
    PB 8 1/2lb Cod...Roker

Originally posted by Trevor View Post
    Here's what I believe to be a strange catch for shore fishing on the east coast, last night (Tues 20th Sept) while fishing at the bottom of South Shields pier, I caught a 2lb Spotted Dogfish. It was taken from the harbour side on a strip of mackerel.
    They are starting to make their appearance on our cost allot more frequent. I have heard of 5 this year. They are a nice fish to catch, just annoying when bass fishing at the mull. Congrats mate, they are a rarity on our shores
    Cod Mission: Cod over 5lb!

Success: 27/09/12

PB COD!!!: 9lb 13OZ!

Chance of Success?: Dismal, But possible!

Comment

A lad I fished with up Dunstanbrough the other Week had 1.
      GET OUT THERE AND STICK A BAIT IN IT !!!

Comment

Dogfish

Oh well, seems like it is not such a rarity, although I must confess I had not heard of them being caught other than by fishermen out in boats, and more prolifically on the west coast. I did enjoy wrestling it in though, it put up a hell of a fight.

Cheers
        PB 8 1/2lb Cod...Roker

Comment

They do give a bit of a scrap like. Can be murder to unhook tho. tough mouths.
          Cod Mission: Cod over 5lb!

Success: 27/09/12

PB COD!!!: 9lb 13OZ!

Chance of Success?: Dismal, But possible!

Comment

Doggy

I your right there, to be honest with you I was all for just sacrificing the hook, given the teeth an all. But another fisherman called Noel, who was fishing just a stones throw away came and helped pin it down and after a bit of a struggle managed to remove the hook.
            PB 8 1/2lb Cod...Roker

Comment

ya get a few around here mate seaham pier is good for them this time of year.
              Feel free to take a look at my blog.

http://edds-fishingtales.blogspot.com/

Cheers eddie t

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor View Post
                I your right there, to be honest with you I was all for just sacrificing the hook, given the teeth an all. But another fisherman called Noel, who was fishing just a stones throw away came and helped pin it down and after a bit of a struggle managed to remove the hook.
                Just be carefull they dont wrap thier tail around your wrist they will remove your skin, i grab them behind the head then bend the tail up to its head so you can hold them with one hand leaving one hand free to unhook, takes a bit of practice though.
                In order to become "old & wise", you must first be young & stupid.
                Age and experience will beat youth and enthusiasm every time.
                Youth and Skill is no match for Age and Treachery.

This link is good for tide and weather and more http://magicseaweed.com/Tynemouth-Lo...rt/26/tide/uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Mad as a fish View Post
                  Just be carefull they dont wrap thier tail around your wrist they will remove your skin, i grab them behind the head then bend the tail up to its head so you can hold them with one hand leaving one hand free to unhook, takes a bit of practice though.
                  spot on advice there mate thats exactly how i was taught to handle them
                  Nothing makes a fish bigger than ALMOST being caught

Comment

Few years back there was 4 of us fishing up at Dunstanburgh Castle all on the high cliff mark.3 out the 4 of us got bites and we all pulled in a dogfish.
                    Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

Comment

Working...
                    X