abu 7500 c3 fix advice???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• abu 7500 c3 fix advice???

reet, the spool wont lock so the handle can be turned freely both ways and obz if its cast out i have to keep the ratchet on to stop it running all my line out! haha can anyone tell me whats up with it and how to fix/cost of fix cheers tin
    You Hurd the man tubs...get undressed !

First guess would be the Instant Anti Reverse dog isn't located correctly - it needs one of the tiny copper leaves on either side of the driveshaft cog.

It's dead easy to reassemble the reel with the IAR dog sitting directly above the driveshaft cog and not engaged at all.

I can post a picture of what it should look like and how it locates if you need it.

I reassembled an Abu TGC6000 recently with the Instant Anti Reverse dog correctly seated, but installed backwards

The reel wouldn't forward wind at all, but it worked perfectly if you wound it backwards

That would be my first guess - if you don't know what it should look like give me a shout and I'll take a couple of pictures for your reference
    Last edited by Persues; 07-05-2012, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Persues View Post
      First guess would be the Instant Anti Reverse dog isn't located correctly - it needs one of the tiny copper leaves on either side of the driveshaft cog.

It's dead easy to reassemble the reel with the IAR dog sitting directly above the driveshaft cog and not engaged at all.

I can post a picture of what it should look like and how it locates if you need it.

I reassembled an Abu TGC6000 recently with the Instant Anti Reverse dog correctly seated, but installed backwards

The reel wouldn't forward wind at all, but it worked perfectly if you wound it backwards

That would be my first guess - if you don't know what it should look like give me a shout and I'll take a couple of pictures for your reference
      cheers for the reply, yea if you could put some pics up for me that would be great, hopefully this will sort it like as its a cracking reel. i was going to sell it but dont know if i want to part with it now! haha

Comment

I forgot to bring my reel to the office with me this morning

I found some appropriate information which should help, after a little Googling.

Here's a thread on the superb mikesreelrepair.com website with images of the part I mentioned (from a question posted by a person experiencing similar reel misbehaviour):

Mike's Reel Repair :: View topic - Abu 7000 -- What did I do?

Specifically, here is the main gearing image:

The IAR dog is located at the four o'clock position. You can just see the tail end of it peeking out at the right of the driveshaft. It should be located thus:

You can see one of the copper leaves on each side of the IAR dog is located one either side of the main driveshaft cog, with the IAR engaging the main driveshaft cog as the reel is wound forwards

Hope that helps but, if not, give me a shout. My 7500 is up at the caravan but I have a 7000 at home and if you don't live a million miles away we could simply open them both up and run a side-by-side comparison to get yours fettled, or to balls both of them up

Most tackle shops can strips and sort these reels within moments. John at Sport & Leisure in Blyth is very handy with Abu reels and can normally sort out minor issues while you wait.

Hope this helps - I'll try to remember the blimmin reel next time (not that there will be a next time of course )

Comment

cheers bud, am going to take some tools to it later and see what i can do haha, the pics help as ive not done anything like this before, iam the kind of person who can take things to bits fine but getting them back together is the fun part haha thanks for the info i will let you know how it go's

Comment

well thats sorted it bud, the space between the copper leaves was massive so just give them a pinch together and got it back together, sorted right out! cheers for the help mate. as happy, now to sell or not to haha

Comment

Originally posted by tinman View Post
              well thats sorted it bud, the space between the copper leaves was massive so just give them a pinch together and got it back together, sorted right out! cheers for the help mate. as happy, now to sell or not to haha
              Great news on the fix !

The choice is simple.

Sell - to me

Abu 7000 reels are a great overall workhorse reel but the 7500 is in a different league IMHO.

I'd rather fish one of them than many of the current reels I've tried.

Easy availability of all parts, relatively inexpensive for most parts, easy to service (once you've messed one up a time or two ) and a far better retrieve ratio IMHO for bringing big fish in safely.

To sell or not is your choice (obviously) but nobody will get my 7000/7500 reels until I'm dead.

Comment

Working...
              X