big fish advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big fish advice

hi lads just my opinion but does anyone agree there should be a large fish limit anything over a certain size should be returned to live on that 42 lb cod is a amazing fish and seems a shame to kill it to eat???? alot of cod there i just think this would allow the bigger fish to keep getting bigger insted of cutting the chain any thoughts?

dont think many if anyone would release a fish like that caught in england m8 yes its alot of fish n chip suppers but you never get sick of fresh cod
    KOMPRESSOR SPORT
    PENN 525 MAG SLIDEY
    PENN 525 MAG KNOBBY
    OKUMA TRIO 55
    YUKI RUBYMAR
    RON THOMPSON TYRON
    SPECIES HUNT 2015 = CODLING, TURBOT, FLOUNDER, DAB, SS SEA SCORPION

Comment

i know but once you have the photos thats all you need just seems a shame to kill something of that size and age but explains why everyone complains about the poor fishing

Comment

i release most fish i catch inless its around the 4lb mark bigger and smaller goes back there the best size eating fish

Comment

There's the other school of thought, killing a fish that size will stop it eating a lot of smaller fish.
          Cheers, Keith.

Comment

yea your right cant argue with that not looking to argue just seeing other people opinions

Comment

If its over minimum size then it's your catch and your dilemma only.

Comment

i know that but in my opinion

Comment

larger fish can produce significantly larger number of eggs, in theory it is the best thing to day... reality it is never going to happen, but a 40lb fish would beable to produce 2000 times the numbers of eggs than a 20lb fish. I think the americans and new zealand have alot of maximum length catch limit.

Comment

i know america def have max limits on sharks

Comment

although releasing a fish and see it stroll off in the distance i still would like to know how many actualy live on normaly as if nothing has happened.

do they actualy survive even when you see them swim off,

prob is lots of fish get dropped of piers ie put back but how many survive most i imagine dont .
                      stress of geting dragged in hooks pulled out of them then sometimes dropped from good hieghts/

certainly makes me wunder
                      did you know panel pins comes in diff sizes ?

Comment

well I know when I was fly fishing you could hook a wee brown trout, take a tiny nick from its fin(identification purposes) and a week later still catch the same little bugger. Besides I was watching river monsters the other night and the guy explained how there are loads of fish still living with hooks in there bellies, to prove this they scanned fish with a device that showed the hook. Although I was told that if you handle mackie your natural greese on your hands removes a film of slime and the fish dies sometimes. Whities sometimes look a bit sick when returned!!!! catch and release is good in my opinion, fish should not be wasted!!!

Comment

If caught at depth cod and ling and the likes have swim bladders which fill with air and they just float on the top and can't get down , it's like our bends but reverse . I've seen 10lb plus ling spin at the top and throw the hook only to float and be pecked by seagulls untill we've moved round and gaffed them , shame really coz such a great fish should swim again . But would ya and could ya ? Shore caught no probs , good debate tho
                          I am a fisherman !
                          It is not merely something that I do
                          It is who I am !
                          Fishing is not simply my escape.
                          It is where I am supposed to be.
                          It is not a place that I go
                          But a lifelong journey that I am taking
                          It is a passage that was shown to me and that I will continue to show others.
                          When you understand all of this you will then know me .
                          And we will fish together

Comment

Big fish advice?

Get a bigger priest.

Good luck to the lad with the 42 pounder.

Comment

its a good post by the big lad,nice to see no ones tried to force there point of view in the discussion

dont know what the devil i would do in that situation,knowing it wouldnt go to waste --- knowing it would eat smaller fish---- knowing it would produce lots of fish ---- knowing a flipping trawler might get it tomorrow
                              knowing it would cost a fortune to get it stuffed

roll on the day i have to decide
                              AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

Working...
                              X