new to multipliers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to multipliers

alright lads this is my first post be nice :-) im thinking about movin onto a multiplier and im not sure which one would be the best for to me to get was thinkin of gettin a okuma magnetix thoughts??
    You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.”

Originally posted by jack555 View Post
    alright lads this is my first post be nice :-) im thinking about movin onto a multiplier and im not sure which one would be the best for to me to get was thinkin of gettin a okuma magnetix thoughts??
    If it iz your 1st one go for sumthing with level wind and pritty slow sumthing lyk Abu 6500 And welcome are sumthing with brakes ect
    Cod can only juge me if am a haddock https://www.facebook.com/groups/141034916010629/

Comment

Need more info first before a decent answer can be given. Where do you do most of your fishing? Is it clean ground beaches, clean ground / mixed ground piers or into the rough stuff? Different reels are needed depending on your answer, for example a 7HT is perfect for clean ground work but not up to the job of hauling through kelp.

Got to disagree with Scotty above, forget about the levelwind and get a CT reel. Levelwinds are far more trouble than they are worth and it takes very little time to get used to guiding the line across the spool with your thumb. Apart from trouble with leader knots catching, weed catching and seriously slowing your cast down levelwinds also mean that when you get the inevitable birdsnest (and you will) the extra bars in the cage make them far more difficult to unpick, especially in the dark with cold wet fingers.

And at the end of the day line lay doesn't have to be perfect anyway; far from it. As long as it is fairly even and most importantly retrieved under a little pressure (the weight is enough here) and doesn't have any loose coils then all should be OK.
      CLIP IT AND WHACK IT

Comment

Well a got learnt to use level wind at 1st difo propel have difo methods
        Cod can only juge me if am a haddock https://www.facebook.com/groups/141034916010629/

Comment

cheers for the replies lads, all taken on board and i fish mostly on ssp ive heard nothin but positive things about the 7ht like
          You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.”

Comment

wellcome to the site m8 i used a fixed spool all the time then the last year moved to a multiplier got a diawa slosh 20 second hand but kept gettin where the line on the reel was over running took it to reelsport in hebburn who put brakes in and have not had a problem since touch wood would never go back
            KOMPRESSOR SPORT
            PENN 525 MAG SLIDEY
            PENN 525 MAG KNOBBY
            OKUMA TRIO 55
            YUKI RUBYMAR
            RON THOMPSON TYRON
            SPECIES HUNT 2015 = CODLING, TURBOT, FLOUNDER, DAB, SS SEA SCORPION

Comment

How much you looking to spend ?

I owned an okuma magnetix and hated it other people will say otherwise
              If i was you id go for something like a slosh 20/30 abu 6500 or something with magnets like a penn 525 mag

My choice would be the slosh or the penn both great casting reels an can be picked up fairly cheap second hand
              PB SHORE COD 9LB 14oz seaton sluice 3/11/12
              PB BOAT COD 9lb 15oz
              PB COALIE 9lb 8oz
              PB LING 7lb 8oz

Comment

av got a slosh 20 only had it for two sessions but seems pretty solid n winds fast to keep ya gear out the snags

Comment

heard alot of good things about the slosh also, and got a budget of 175quid not sure if i should get levelwind or not?

Comment

You could buy a cheap level wind to get used to a multi and keep enough cash to buy a new slosh or a penn there is some cheap multis around or a second hand one

Comment

Originally posted by jack555 View Post
                      cheers for the replies lads, all taken on board and i fish mostly on ssp ive heard nothin but positive things about the 7ht like
                      7HT good reel mate, I'd avoid a level wind reel like the plague

Comment

With £175 you can buy a lot of reel id go with either a new or second hand 525 original im not a fan of the mag2 thew new one or as i mentioned the flosh 20/30 new but make sure you have a set of blocks put in
                        PB SHORE COD 9LB 14oz seaton sluice 3/11/12
                        PB BOAT COD 9lb 15oz
                        PB COALIE 9lb 8oz
                        PB LING 7lb 8oz

Comment

I've used an Abu 7 and a 7000 both with level wind and also used penn 525 I'm not a bloke who can cast far the abu7 is a good reel for the money pulled in a double shot if dog fish up a cliff no problem for 65 quid ideal reel for a first multiplier

Comment

cheers for all replys been helpful but i think il go for the penn 525 mag2 as ive heard nothing but good things about this multiplier cheers

Comment

Good choice mate

Comment

Working...
                              X