The changing face of angling in the NE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The changing face of angling in the NE

Following the meeting in Gateshead between the NFSA and local anglers, it struck me how much entrenched we are in terms of what is available to NE anglers. Now don\'t get me wrong, this isn\'t about taking a pop at anglers in the north, as I am northern through and through (and proud of it, I\'m married to a geordie (female of course!!!)). However, the comments I hear on how we are going to have no fish left because the commercials have trashed the cod stocks and all thats left are whiting, pervade from the Humber Estuary to the Scottish borders.

So given that there are very few cod, whiting all over the place and nothing else, angling should be in a major decline...... shouldn\'t it?

Well, not at all, at worst it may have stood still for the last couple of years and judging by the number of new or returning anglers there are indications that RSA is gradually increasing. So what is drawing these anglers into or back to our sport, if you listen to the doom and gloom merchants its certainly not the abundance of fish.

Paul and Mark who were at the meeting in Gateshead on Wednesday night heard of the proposed tope byelaw in the NESFC district, and if you think about it why would anglers in the NE want to protect tope, they are a southern species aren\'t they? Well they used to be, but no longer. Along the southern Yorkshire coast they are a significant target species for a period of 4 to 5 months. For those of you who doubt this, see this months TSF magazine, this was an ordinary day!!!!! These tope migrate north throughout the summer months to beyond the Scottish east coast border, they are off the Northumberland coast, but will rarely be caught on a jigger or shad. To catch one anglers need to use the correct gear and right baits, and be prepared to find where they are likely to be feeding, once you\'ve located them, its highly probable that you can go back time and again and continue to catch.

Another issue raised was the proposed limitation on intertidal netting for bass. There has been over the last 4 or 5 years a significant increase in the number of bass migrating into the NE, and survey work carried out by CEFAS and the NESFC (of which I\'ve been involved) has shown that there is a real probability that these bass are now spawning in the NE and work I\'ve carried out with the EA has shown that 1st year bass are present (3 inches). These fish can only have been produced in the NE as they are too small to have swum from the Thames or south coast. This has produced a significant increase in the number of nets placed along beaches and at rocky headlands, all of which were legitimate due to a loophole in NESFC byelaws. Fishermen obviously saw great profit in targeting the bass during late autumn and early winter and this new fishery was being developed by the NESFC, however, the explosion of gillnets on beaches would have a significant impact on angling. As a result anglers voiced their concerns, and after much consultation, the NESFC have produced a byelaw for DEFRA to implement, that will restrict the number of licensed permits to just 5, anyone other than a permit holder (5 number) will be fishing illegally and will be prosecuted. This obviously has benefits because no longer will there be nets blathered across the beaches, if they are, especially in the NE they will be illegal (unless they are Salmon nets (April to September)). The 5 permit holders are all south of Flamborough Head, my area, so there cannot be any on the beaches north of Flamborough Head to the River Tyne, or inside the 5m depth contour.

OK so some of you will be saying that doesn’t affect me because we don’t get many bass up here, again not true. There are increasing numbers of bass present within our district, again it’s a case of altering tactics to increase your chances. The significance of the intertidal netting byelaw is that the greater majority of bass within our district are restricted to the nearshore margins. They don’t migrate further offshore, fish surveys we have done show that they are all caught close to or above the low water mark. A large proportion of the bass we have tagged turn up along the Northumberland or Scottish coasts which shows they are moving north, one I tagged was recaptured 4 days later having travelled 113 miles!!!!!!!!

Most of our boat fishing for bass is carried out within casting distance of the shore, further off you just don’t get them. So next time you are fishing with a good sea on, try fishing in the surf or just at the back of the first breaker, most anglers feel the need for distance, this isn’t were the bass are likely to be. With regard to boat fishing for bass in the NE, get next months TSF, and you’ll see what I mean.

So that’s the tope and the bass, what else is there, well pollock for a start, although I accept that this is a predominantly boat species, they are there in very good numbers and big fish too. Its all about changing tactics, so if you’re a boat angler and the wreck fishing is poor, switch to alternative venues close in for the bass, look for pinnacles or reef’s for pollock or the wrecks for that matter. Try winding up steadily with a jelly worm or shad (classic pollock tactics). If your fishing from the shore try casting a one or two ounce lead head with shad or jelly worm.

Ultimately anglers are renown for their slow response to changing situations, although others will argue that that is the difference between a competent angler and a top notch match angler. What ever the scenario, be it shore or boat, accepting that by concentrating solely on cod we may be reducing the fishing experience, broaden your horizons and you WILL be amazed by what is out there, it’s a simple factor of adapting to a changing environment.

For what its worth, and there are no guarantees, there is real evidence that last year was a better than normal recruitment year for cod, how we look after this is up to the government and EU commission, however, anglers have to put forward their case as forcefully as possible. We can only do this through the NFSA, do we have your backing, if so show it and join now.
    If it doesn't bite its not worth catching!!!

couldnt agree more, until NE anglers change their cod, cod, cod outlook they could be in for hard times. Big Bass have been around on the NE coast for many years even before Blyth Power station, although i suspect that with the coming of the power station they started to breed and have now acclimatised themselves and have spread. Mullett are also a species which are presnt although not many anglers fish for them Pollock are certainly now quite abundant. Tope are certainly present off the Northumberland coast, trawler catches proves this and i have been told they where once caught of Bamburgh by rod and line anglers. All you have to do is adapt, find the right areas and times and you never know. Of course you could always try for the probeagles as well.
    Alan

Comment

I\'m all for the attitude of \"Lets try something different\".I think I posted in the boat section that a friend and myself tried tope fishing from his boat off H/pool.We never got a knock,probably because it was very late in the season and we really did\'nt have enough fresh bait.I think all the species you can catch \"down south\" can be caught up here,but,as you say,we don\'t fish specifically for them.From the shore,it\'s cod in the winter,from the boat it\'s cod or ling.People catch wrasse and doggies and other species,but because it\'s not cod or ling,it tends to be pushed to the background.
      The water up here is becoming cleaner every year and I think that attracts the more \"exotic\" species.Also in possibly 5 years the whole attitude to fishing might have altered on the NE coast.We live in hope.

Comment

Have to agree. Had some very good pollack fishing when I caught onto it late in the season, and will definitely be looking to target them again next year. I\'d like to agin point out the almost surreal experience we had of pulling up good sized pollack again and again, while FOUR charter boats visited the same wreck and left empty-handed because they were only prepared to target ling.

Will definitely be looking to try for tope if conditions allow next summer, have already read your advice, would be happy for any more pointers to success anyone can offer. The trick would seem to be finding a suitable mark.

Comment

I also agree, the tope are there...you just dont get them on rippers

Tat and I spent a day after them but as he said it was late in the season and we were struggling to catch mackrel for bait on that day.

The reason the proposed ban on landing tope in the NE is important is that it provides a precedent for other areas to follow. Of all the areas in the uk where this proposal is likely to be opposed by commercials , this is the one where it is least likely to come up with any objections. But this does set a precident in the uk and allows other regions to follow suit.

We do need to change our approach to fishing, I dont think anyone would deny that the days of bumper cod catces are gone for the time been. But other species area available.

By changing my way of fishing and experimenting I have managed to catch 5 fish over 50lb and 4 over 100lb this summer. Fish to make this look small are available of our coast ...we just need to change our approach and target them.

I spent a saturday evening drinking guiness with a experienced tope catching charter skipper and a set of ne charts on the bar. He identified 4 areas within 2 miles of hartlepool marina that are worth fishing for tope based on his experience, and when we expanded the charts to include seaburn there were dozens. I know doc is catching them.

We will ave to change our methods and attidudes to fishing, some charter skippers have already made the first steps ( see the post on here about the porgie on shy torque) I have spoken to others and seen pictures of hartlepool caught porgies ( the guy preferes not to publish them)

Please support the organisations who are helping to improve angling and be prepared to buy heavier gear ( or spinning gear )

Keep up the good work Doc . I could do with your email addy cos I want to rip off some of your pics for the SOS website

Cheers
          Dave
          Save our Sharks Member
          SACN NE Regional Co-Ordinator
          NSFC RSA representative

Comment

Thanks for that Dave, check your PMs

Cheers

Doc

Comment

hi doc
              over the last couple of years myself and partner(sharon) have started fishing weymouth and i had to buy new gear as the skipper told me northern prehistoric gear is no good down here (he wasnt been nasty)
              he was just trying to help us and what we have witnessed is unbelieveable the majority of the anglers down there are using 12 to 20lb class tackle and light braids and they are reaping big results especially the wreck fishing where they used to be full of cod and ling
              and the occasional pollack and rare bass but now with modern tactics if the cod dont bite the pollock and bass will and seeing is beliveing but i will say one thing that when you fish down there pirks are banned unless everyone is going to use then as the skippers say that they spook the fish (bass and pollock) i am just wondering how many anglers up here would go out on a boat where as the fishing is pre planned ie a day wrecking where shads and gills are the chosen method and feathers and pirks are a no no i bet the skipper would have a riot on his hands
              but when you have tried it you would never want to go back
              i have tried talking these methods with some charter skippers up here and they all seem to say the same thing that how do you tell an angler what he can do
              well the south charter boats are getting biggr fleets and the northern ports are declining
              just look at the comercial fising tubot nets at hartlepool look at how much turbot costs if they catch them in nets they can be caught on rod and line its like you say we all need to look at what we are fishing for and try and target species and also get away from the day out to fill the freezer any angler reading this just look this
              http://www.deepsea.co.uk/boats/flamer/moreinfo/angling_spaces.htm
              each day is booked by individuals and the type of fishing is clearly stated

why wont the skippers up here learn we have the different species but we have never realy fished for them
              ooh forgot to mention dave at bridlington he is now doing just what i have said about targeting species and getting good results as was shown in tsf

well i have had my say now so i will shut up

sean

[Edited on 18/12/2005 by big_sean]

[Edited on 18/12/2005 by big_sean]
              The beautifull South

Comment

Hi Sean,

I agree wholeheartedly with everything you say, and as you quite rightly point out the TSF article(s) (November and December 2005) show what can be achieved. We\'ve been targeting the tope for many years and have a bigger average size of fish than anywhere else in the UK (although Ian Burrett may disagree).

We\'ve been bassing for about 4 or 5 years now with some astonishing catches (45 fish in 2 and 1/2 hrs - all released), and we\'ve had quite a few to 7lb. Again the trick is to try a number of different methods to see which will work best on the day. Light gear is a must, both Dave and I use our beach bass outfits with small carp type fixed spool reels (I use 16lb Dynon with a 9kg shock/rubbing leader attached), this is the same gear we use for the pollock.

The pollacking is a reasonably new addition; although again we\'ve been targeting them for a number of years with limited success until a couple of years ago. It was simply a case of working out when, where and how, once that was sorted the fun really started, again as with the bass; there is a 100% return policy. Light gear is again a pre-requisite.

The wrecking follows a similar pattern, the days of using 1lb to 2lb pirks is long gone, and 8oz pirks are the maximum now. Of course using such light terminal gear means that the rest of the set up has to follow suit. We use 12 - 15lb class rods (Daiwa TDK or the Abu Conolon are my favourites) and SLOSH 20\'s loaded with 40lb Dynon. However, the real benefit is being able to adapt, shads and jellies will on their day out fish the small Norwegian pirks, and quite often take the bigger fish (which we all crave). The lighter gear makes the fishing so much more fun, allows the fish to give a good account of itself, but more importantly allows you to return the fish. We love wrecking, Dave more so than me ( I prefer the tope, bass and pollock, having done the wrecking thing to death through the 70\'s, 80\'s and 90\'s from Whitby and Brid), we rarely take fish home and even then only if they are damaged and won\'t go back. The beauty of using light tackle is that the fish comes up much more slowly,, as a consequence doesn\'t blow its swim bladder in the process and can be returned quite happily, in fact I can\'t remember a cod that wouldn\'t go back this year, Ling are however, a different matter, the solution is simple - we don\'t use bait, although you can\'t get away from them at times, when this is the case we simply move to another wreck.

We took a SFC officer out this year wrecking and just used shads and jellies, total catch between the four of us was conservatively estimated at 8 boxes (about 50 stone of cod and 10 stone of ling), we kept about a dozen ling and 8 or 9 cod, the rest went back quite happily.

So yes the light gear is the way forward without a doubt. And whilst the charter fleet from Bridlington and to a lesser extent Whitby do need to change their ways, the main culprit are the anglers. They still persist with the notion that by going fishing in the North Sea, they are there simply to fill the freezer, and as a consequence they need to use gear that they can winch up as quickly as possible. By doing so they are actually reducing the type of fishing they can do and reducing their catches. There are no longer dense shoals of cod on the wrecks and rough ground, fish aren\'t fighting each other to take that 2lb lump of lead that is bouncing about, less competition makes the fish more sensitive to what they are feeding on and they take notice, if it doesn\'t look right then don\'t bother, and what could look less natural that a 2lb lump of lead bouncing about in an erratic way. Anglers have to change and tell charter skippers what they want from the day, once the charter skippers see the effect they will be convinced, until such time the status quo will be maintained.

Cheers

Doc

Comment

Me? I\'m a Conger fanatic next year :P

Well with maybe the odd Porgie

Comment

they certainly are matchman

over 80 smoothounds this year from the lincs coast and holderness coast.
                    best session i had i had 14 hounds to 8.5lb in 4 hours on the holderness coast, now thats GOOD fishin

canny wait til next year

[Edited on 25/8/2006 by macky]
                    holderness coast

Comment

Great pics macky. looks like you had some fun.

Comment

had a few more on sun stickler
                        7lb and 8lb, along with a pair of thornbacks to 6lb

[Edited on 5/9/2006 by macky]

[Edited on 5/9/2006 by macky]
                        holderness coast

Comment

Going right back to nigels original post I would like to say that we must not forget the cod. It has indeed been hunted close to extinction by our commercails friends. I am pleased to see all the other species being caught from our area. Im sure Chris Mack will tell you that there is no one more enthusiastic about reading about his great fishing adventures than me. I like to here about big bass being caught (however if you listen to some of the old timers its nothing new - they've been here 30 years or more).
                          The point of my post is that to a lot of anglers the north east is about cod. Its about rocks, scars, peeler crabs, lugworms, slackline bites, northerly gales, huge seas and stonking great cod. Fishing for cod is my passion as it is many of the north east lads. Its nice to here about other species but for me it will not touch cod fishing. Call me misguided, lost in the past or whatever. We must not forget the cod and we must fight to make sure they survive. To divert our thinking at this vital time is the wrong thing to do. We need to make it clear to defar and the eu what we think should happen to this years good year class. We need to complain loudly at every opportunity about the mismanagement of cod stocks, so that hopefully the future can be a little brighter.

Rant over

Kayak Fishing

Whitby Fishing Forum

Comment

Glenn

i will take u hound fishing one day next year and u will soon be forgetting
                            the HUGE sea,cod,kelp and freezing ya gonads off
                            it feels strange at first sat on a beach in ya tshirt, but when that rod lunges seaward it almost knocks ya knotted hankey off ya head

its a totally diffrent game
                            i personally think next year on the holderness coast will be something special as it has improved leaps and bounds over the last 5 years regs summer sport

mack
                            Last edited by macky1; 10-09-2006, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by matchman
                              Well, have you complained very loudly as you put it..???
                              Those who know me will be sick of hearing me. Yes I complain loudly at every opportunity. That includes letters to Defra, local mp etc, speaking to reps on local nesfc, moaning to Nigel etc etc etc

Hi Chris, I would love to come hound fishing with you next year. Would I be able to cast far enough though ?

Cheers - Glenn

Kayak Fishing

Whitby Fishing Forum

Comment

Working...
                              X