Noisy Saltist 30H!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy Saltist 30H!

Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice about my Saltist?
    Very noisy when casting and it feels like it is vibrating as it goes out. It definitely cuts my distance down! I have tried taking the brake blocks out etc. but nothing changes!
    I was told to take a file to the cage as they are bad for corrosion, but I have had a good look at where the spool fits in the cage and there is no rot that I can see with a magnifying glass. The spool spindle seems ok and when pulling line off there are no sounds of grating or the spool catching anywhere.
    Stumped! (Don't fancy filing the cage to be honest)!

sounds like bearings to me m8.
    have you got a cloth

Comment

Originally posted by tonybax View Post
      sounds like bearings to me m8.
      I'd agree, although it could be something as simple as bad line-lay causing your spool to go out of balance. I spooled one up badly one time & couldn't believe how bad it was when I chucked it - the whole rod seemed to wobble in my hands & it was hellish noisy. Simply re-spooling it properly solved the problem, but if it's a more grating type of noise it's probably a bearing - might be time for a new set (I'd always replace both, otherwise having one new & one old might cause further issues!).

Gary
      ....fishin' accomplished......

Whitley Bay Angling Society
      on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/whitleybayanglingsoc/

Comment

Sorry, meant to say that I have replaced the bearings as well! That was what I immediately thought of but the reel is exactly the same! I will check the line lay, but I always lay on the line as level as I can.My 30TH is as sweet as a nut and that has heavier line on.

Comment

Did you replace with uprated bearings (ceramics) ? As these can be noisy, check the pinion gear is in line, flush the bearings and re oil.
          Also check spool to cage clearance.
          If its got t1ts or tyres, its gonna be trouble.

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem

Comment

Replaced with standard bearings from Formula. The spool clearance seems fine, i.e.. pulling line off the spool turns perfectly with no noise at all. One thing that is different to my 30TH is that when I take the spool out of the 30H the large spool bearing is stuck on the spindle, was with original bearing and even more so with the new one! The bearing stays in the housing on my 30TH! I will have to check everything again and if I solve it I will let you know.
            Many thanks to everyone that have helped!

Comment

I wouldn't worry about the bearing coming out on the spool - happens on some of mine too. I'd have a close look at the spindle / pinion gear area - give the spindle a good clean & polish & thoroughly clean and de-grease the pinion gear. Make sure when you put it back together to put a little drop of thin oil on the spindle & don't put too much grease on the pinion / gears. It sounds like it might not be disengaging properly (too much grease can have a bad effect) or a tiny bit of dirt can get in the spindle / pinion area, again if it's over greased. Then make sure you've got the end-float set just right.

If the bearings are good & this doesn't sort it I can only suggest a slightly bent spindle (unlikely) or the spool's out of balance a bit.

Gary

Comment

try putting an imbalance on one side of the spool (bunch the line) then re-level and fill.if no improvement try the other side! good luck.

Comment

Try stripping the line, then wind a shoe lace around the spool ( dont tie it on ), then give it a good yank, check your spool dont have any wobble while its spinning.
                  If ya stuck im sure one if us would have a look at it for you.
                  Like gary has said, a bent shaft on a saltist is unlikely.
                  If its got t1ts or tyres, its gonna be trouble.

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem

Comment

Cheers Neil, but I think I may have sorted it, by re-spooling my line. Gary seems to have hit the nail on the head. Going to try it again tomorrow with no bait! I went fishing yesterday and it sounds and feels OK when casting with bait on but stupidly didn't try without!
                    I will post my findings tomorrow!

Comment

Can't believe that re-spooling my line has made such a difference! Reel is fine now! Thanks to everyone with their advice.

Comment

Glad you sorted it mate! Seems to be that getting the first 30 or 40 yards or so on properly is crucial or it can throw the balance of the spool out of whack somehow. If you get it badly wrong, your reel will certainly let you know!

Gary

Comment

Noisey Saltish

Try :reelbearings: If you go on e-bay you could get new ones. Very reasonable priced to. I had same trouble with my SL 20. New bearings less than £5. tournament ones too. Solved my problems. If bearings are stuck. Try a wire from a lead grip lead turned double then Tiny & I mean Tiny bend into Hooks at the end opposite each other. You can use a screw driver in the loop to pull with more power. Should pop out. Oil bearings a little before replacing.

Comment

Working...
                          X