Identity thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identity thread

Thought it b good idea to start an Identity thread. I know it would help me out a lot as not been fishing long so could well help out other new comers. I'm thinking along the lines of identifying similar looking fish like pollack n coley and of course long and short spine sea scorpion, aswell as common fish. anything people will need to help them all in 1 thread to refer back to as wen needed.
    Last edited by Wee Ver; 15-05-2013, 06:00 AM.
    Species 2013 : crabs, warts

This type of thing being an excellent example of the kind of thing I'm thinking about.

Sea scorpion

Major difference to the underside of head especially if gills pulled taught slightly. Thanks to the help of Stewart 1971 on this 1 for me
    Last edited by Wee Ver; 21-05-2013, 09:47 PM.

Comment

[ATTACH]7315[/ATTACH]

Comment

good idea ok heres a bag of cod i caught,oh and a pollock at the top atb plum
        Attached Files
        did eeerrrr ya snap it off like?thats a shame teeeheeeeheeeheeee and take your rubbish home and dont be a meth

Comment

Canny bit of info on coley and pollock

Coley
          Coalfish

Pollock
          Pollack

Howay lads feel free to join in pics and maybe a little write up on how to identify the species

Comment

Great idea this thread cos I'm new to fishing. I didn't realise there were so many species to be caught in our waters. I could do with some info on what size fish your allowed to keep as well. Is it different sizes for certain species or weight?
            All the gear, no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Nooo Fish View Post
              Great idea this thread cos I'm new to fishing. I didn't realise there were so many species to be caught in our waters. I could do with some info on what size fish your allowed to keep as well. Is it different sizes for certain species or weight?
              Minimum sizes are set by the local IFCA and there are two sets you need to know about.

South of the Tyne is the NE IFCA and these are the minimum size limits:

Minimum Landing Sizes

North of the Tyne is the Northumberland IFCA and these are their minimum size limits:

Minimum sizes of species - NIFCA

At present there is no difference between the two sets as they only include those fish subject to EU minimum size limits. Also note that any fish not on this list (eg Flounder, Dab) has no legal minimum size in which case it is down to you and you conscience what you keep. The only exception to this are Shad and Common Eel both of which are legally protected species and must be returned.
              CLIP IT AND WHACK IT

Comment

Thanks for that mate.
                All the gear, no idea.

Comment

Join in if uz want to, by all means feel free I won't object honest!

Comment

How to ID Gurnards

Species Profile: Gurnards | World Sea Fishing - Sea Angling Webzine, Forum and Tackle Shop

How to ID Rockling

(Basically 3 beards, and no fine white hairs in the indent means its a Shore Rockling, Fine white hairs in the indent means its a 3 bearded, 5 beards... duh)

Comment

Good for mini species I.d.

Mini Species | Britishseafishing.co.uk
                      List of South Shields Pier Fishing Marks http://youtu.be/l-R3XPf0S0Q

2014 Species Hunt 37
                      2013 Species Hunt 27

Comment

Polymogs we used to call them, had a nasty sting off one of them as a kid, don't touch them at all now, just pull out the hook and throw em back.

Comment

cod and pouting

This is an upodated version of what is already on here, but more info.

Identifying Poor Cod and Pouting | Britishseafishing.co.uk[IMG]

Comment

Working...
                          X