Tangling Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tangling Problems

Hey guys this is my first post on the forum and I am new to sea fishing. I have been sea fishing for about 2 months and have started to tie my own rigs. I like using the pennell pulley rig but when I do it always comes back in tangled around the swivel which attaches to the shockleader. What is this caused by? Is it just the tide when bringing the rig back in or am I making the the rig to long? I;m using 60lb line for the weight side and the hook snood is 25 lb mainline mono any help is much appreciated thank you.

Originally posted by kevden45 View Post
    Hey guys this is my first post on the forum and I am new to sea fishing. I have been sea fishing for about 2 months and have started to tie my own rigs. I like using the pennell pulley rig but when I do it always comes back in tangled around the swivel which attaches to the shockleader. What is this caused by? Is it just the tide when bringing the rig back in or am I making the the rig to long? I;m using 60lb line for the weight side and the hook snood is 25 lb mainline mono any help is much appreciated thank you.
    try making snood 35lb ay least i use 50lb on my rigs and have hardly any problems

Comment

Heavier snoods tangle less. also the length of ur snood is also a factor . use shorter snoods in strong tide... hope it helps
      Punch and pull then let rip

NESA Lure Fishing Challenge 2011 Winner

UK species : Cod, Whiting, Poor Cod, Whiting, Mackerel, Coalie, Pollack, Rockling, Bass, Plaice, Flounder, Dab, Grannylasher, Pouting, Launce, Weaver, Sandeel, Ballan wrasse. eelpout

Global species: jewfish/big eye croaker,catfish(Sagor/African/Silver), whip ray, snapper, grouper, pufferfish,threadfin, trevally,stingray, mangrove shark, flowerhorn,

2014 combo:
      Kompressor SS /slosh30
      tt sport /525 mag

Comment

and thats causes less catch... oops!

Originally posted by codcatcher3000 View Post
        use shorter snoods in strong tide... hope it helps
        one problem with that matey, shorter snood and strong tide = less fish...

This is because in a strong tide the hook will lift off the bottom and often hover around 2tf-4ft of the bottom with the tide strenght, and bottom feeding fish, like cod, may not find ya bait.

this is why in strong tidal conditions i use either pulley dropper rigs or up and over rigs, where as i will use normal pulley rigs in smaller tides
        South Shields & District SAC

Comment

I use 60 lb snoods then when I get them out of the rig wallet I use a cloth and grip the snood running tightly down the snood this takes out any kinks in the line
          Cod machine

Comment

Yer 60lb snoods here too, not had a problem with line tangling
            www.home-improver.com
            Where quality counts

Comment

Originally posted by kevden45 View Post
              Do ya fish the beach or river. ?????????

If ya fish the beach and there is a bit of a sea away and ya use long hook
              trace it will tangle every time so use shorter snoods i use 40lb of me hook
              snood and 60lb of me sink.

If ya fishing rivers i would use a long snood like Andy says and use heavier line
              for ya hook snoods.
              Feel free to take a look at my blog.

http://edds-fishingtales.blogspot.com/

Cheers eddie t

Comment

Make sure you use a lead that will stay put! If your using a pulley rig and your leads bumping around the seabed the trace will wrap around the rig body and ravel up. Also if you clip yours down, untwist the snood from around the rig body before you cast, if you don't the water pressure on impact can force the twists up the rig body into loops, which can snag your swivel, genie clip or whatever!
                Stay safe!
                Enjoy your fishing!
                Take your rubbish home!
                Rocker.

Comment

i would try and avoid using mainline/mono for your snood,try something like amnesia or greased weasel,no kinks ortangles,even if crabs/rocklings get ya it straightens up

Comment

Working...
                  X