Reel seat help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reel seat help!

right ive just got a century g5 supa sport and the reel seat is high, i want to move in down the rod!
    ive tryed to unscrew everything and simply slide the seat down but ur nrrrr! it looks like theres loads of tape under the seat, is there anyway i can move it down with out cutting into the wrap ect?
    any help would be much appreciated
    thanks
    You Hurd the man tubs...get undressed !

ive got the same problem mate,the century ive bought looks to have the reel seat glued on it,avent a clue what to dee wi it now!!!!! hopefuly sum one will post how to sort it!

Comment

If it's just held in place with tape, pour a kettle full of boiling water over it then try again - they can be pretty tight sometimes, just keep trying...it might take a few goes with the kettle! If it's glued in place, it's usually a hacksaw job.......or you could try loosening the glue with a heat-gun.

Gary
      ....fishin' accomplished......

Whitley Bay Angling Society
      on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/whitleybayanglingsoc/

Comment

wouldnt use heat gun like it might damage the blank

Comment

awhh i will try the kettle trick its blue lekie tape under i think, hacksaw as in cut the plastic down the side and then move it yea? i really dont want to take a saw to it as am sh**e with stuff like that!

Comment

Originally posted by PAUL1971 View Post
            Yeah it's a tricky job, got to heat it up just enough to loosen the glue. If it's glued onto tape, the tape should provide a bit of insulation but if it's glued onto the blank the hacksaw would be the best option. Although anyone gluing a seat onto a blank deserves shooting IMHO lol!

Gary

Comment

well am sorted like, boiled the kettle, removed the rubber rings on the ends of the seats poured the boiling water over the sides and seat put the butt against the wall and pushed, came lose instantly , just got to remove the tape and position the seat where i want it

Comment

Nice one!

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by PAUL1971 View Post
                  Carbon isnt to fussed about heat to a certain extent matey it's the flame that damages it

Comment

Pleased you got the seat loose mate! At christmas I bought an RT Axcellerator and added the reel seat myself! The way I was advised to fit it was two put a few layers of masking tape at the required position on the rod so that the reel seat wont JUST slide over, then cover the masking tape in a thin layer of fairy liquid and slide it on, let it dry overnight and wham it is stuck solid! I must admit it took me a few times to get the layer of masking tape the right thickness, but this technique worked a treat!! When you want to remove it the boiling water trick helps loosen the adhesive that soaks through from the masking tape after adding the fairy liquid. Maybe this is what you had, strange that it was electric tape under it though!!

Comment

Originally posted by CHOPPER View Post
                      Pleased you got the seat loose mate! At christmas I bought an RT Axcellerator and added the reel seat myself! The way I was advised to fit it was two put a few layers of masking tape at the required position on the rod so that the reel seat wont JUST slide over, then cover the masking tape in a thin layer of fairy liquid and slide it on, let it dry overnight and wham it is stuck solid! I must admit it took me a few times to get the layer of masking tape the right thickness, but this technique worked a treat!! When you want to remove it the boiling water trick helps loosen the adhesive that soaks through from the masking tape after adding the fairy liquid. Maybe this is what you had, strange that it was electric tape under it though!!
                      aye bud thats what the bloke i got it from must of done, but yea bright blue electric tape haha musnt of had any masking tape around at the time haha
                      all sorted now though

Comment

Originally posted by tinman View Post
                        aye bud thats what the bloke i got it from must of done, but yea bright blue electric tape haha musnt of had any masking tape around at the time haha
                        all sorted now though
                        Nice Tinman, guess he just thought any tape would do! You wouldn't think it work with electric tape unless he just jammed it right over!!

Comment

Originally posted by tinman View Post
                          right ive just got a century g5 supa sport and the reel seat is high, i want to move in down the rod!
                          ive tryed to unscrew everything and simply slide the seat down but ur nrrrr! it looks like theres loads of tape under the seat, is there anyway i can move it down with out cutting into the wrap ect?
                          any help would be much appreciated
                          thanks
                          Ihad the same trouble trying to get the seat off whole by boiling the kettle pouring over it as many times and in the end had smash it off and buy a new seat m8 as once they are glued on there on to stay so good luck.

Comment

Got it sorted, then moved it back up, more comfy for me reel up haha should of just left it where it was haha

Comment

Working...
                            X