Silloth for Plaice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silloth for Plaice

Have been told that Silloth is a very good mark to catch plaice, would appreciate any advice on when and where to fish, bait, tatics ect

Theres a hardware shop in the centre of Silloth that sells runnydown....if you go down to the harbour wall you will pick up doggies, over to the left of harbour wall you should be able to see Tommy's Legs, now this is a very good shot for sea bass, my best bass came from there last year 10lb 2oz but in my opinion best fished at low water.....take mussel, peeler, and runnydown. hope this helps and good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by PRICEY View Post
      Theres a hardware shop in the centre of Silloth that sells runnydown....if you go down to the harbour wall you will pick up doggies, over to the left of harbour wall you should be able to see Tommy's Legs, now this is a very good shot for sea bass, my best bass came from there last year 10lb 2oz but in my opinion best fished at low water.....take mussel, peeler, and runnydown. hope this helps and good luck.
      He asked aboot Plaice not doggies or Bass! Sheesh....

Rite GerryBerry, if your going to target those big spotty binlids there, I would suggest taking plenty ragworm, as well as some crab and some squid. Rag on its own practically outfishes all for Plaice, but tipping it with a peeled crab leg/claw or a small trip of squid can just sometimes tempt those extra bites

As for rigs, depending on how far you casting, I'd use 2 hook Portsmouth loops or Pulley wishbone rigs, with plenty beads and sequins as attractor's. These rigs give you the benefit of fishing two baits over a wider area of the sea bed (the portsmouth loop rig does anyway), and fish the baits hard to the bottom or just on the bottom where the Plaice will be feeding.

Hope this info helps mate, go catch them Plaice!
      Last edited by <(Andy2009)>; 11-04-2012, 01:53 PM.
      South Shields & District SAC

Comment

READ HIS THREAD AGAIN I'M SURE HIS LAST WORD WAS ETC

Comment

fished there last summer, along the beach left of the tommy legs, first cast 25yrds with in mins had one plaice just say size, on rag, after that tipped every bait up with mus/squid and only fished bass no more plaice. wasnt complaining as we had a great day hitting bass constantly!, its a lovely place and great fishing,
          if your fishing low water, watch the tide though coz its a naughty one! sweeps behind like nothings wrong! we ended up walking back to the beach up to our chests cracking spot! love it and cant wait to get back up there!!
          You Hurd the man tubs...get undressed !

Comment

he did that pricey m8 . .! etc, etc, anything else to do with fishing.

Comment

Silloth

Originally posted by <(Andy2009)> View Post
              He asked aboot Plaice not doggies or Bass! Sheesh....

Rite GerryBerry, if your going to target those big spotty binlids there, I would suggest taking plenty ragworm, as well as some crab and some squid. Rag on its own practically outfishes all for Plaice, but tipping it with a peeled crab leg/claw or a small trip og squid can just sometimes tempt those extra bites

As for rigs, depending on how far you casting, I'd use 2 hook Portsmouth loops or Pulley wishbone rigs, with plenty beads and sequins as attractor's. These rigs give you the benefit of fishing two baits over a wider area of the sea bed (the portsmouth loop rig does anyway), and fish the baits hard to the bottom or just on the bottom where the Plaice will be feeding.

Hope this info helps mate, go catch them Plaice!
              Well Andy you seem to know your stuff lad especially your rigs man excellent as your learning me a thing or two.cheers

Comment

He says he after he's after plaice as he's been told its a good mark to catch them, so I.E., he wants to know the best bait, tactics , ETC, to catch PLAICE there...

Comment

Originally posted by jameswlong1941 View Post

Well Andy you seem to know your stuff lad especially your rigs man excellent as your learning me a thing or two.cheers
                  No probs buddy, happy to help.

Comment

Thank you lads but could anyone point me in the direction of a good mark where I could hopefully catch a few PLAICE as these are what I would really like to catch. Thanks for info already received it will be put to good use I can assure you.

Comment

Originally posted by GerryBerry View Post
                      Thank you lads but could anyone point me in the direction of a good mark where I could hopefully catch a few PLAICE as these are what I would really like to catch. Thanks for info already received it will be put to good use I can assure you.
                      tommy legs, low tide,fish the bottom, big rag bait ups!, there was a write up about it in sea angler a good few months back if i remember rightly
                      You Hurd the man tubs...get undressed !

Comment

Working...
                      X