Penn 525 mag extra help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penn 525 mag extra help!

hi lads, i recently bought a 525 mag extra in great condition only used once by iang from these forums, now i have just taken the reel for a session at the pier and it seems very slow and makes alot of noise when i cast it, the cast didnt go very far either mabey 70 yards, can anyone help me or suggest what this might be?

I've come across a few noisy 525s over the years it could be simple as a bit muck sand over tight spool u need to get it stripped and checked bud
    Goal for 2012 a 30lber
    http://www.bullrushlake.com/

Comment

il try that, this is a very loud noise and it feels very slow even with the mags off

Comment

bearings goosed try new ones!!

Comment

to be honest mate im pretty useless with messing about with reels ect, how much are new bearings? and the reel is litterly brand new out the box only been used the once ;/

Comment

We're u from bud
            Goal for 2012 a 30lber

Comment

south shields pal

Comment

pinion probably worn - needs a good and possibly expensive service. good luck!

Comment

Go into Reelsport on dean rd geordie will sort it for you mate
                  Goal for 2012 a 30lber

Comment

Might just need a service.
                    Last edited by Davey-m; 15-11-2012, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Cheers lad yeah il take it to reel sport tonight and see if he can fix it, the bloke I bought it off is decent enough to offer me my money back, it is immaculate condition that's why I want it fixed

Comment

I bought one of those brand new about 5 years ago and it was noisy from the get-go. It was just when I was getting back into fishing after a 20 year-plus break and I really didn't know much about the gear I was buying. However I soon learned that new reels are often shipped with heavily greased bearings, which alone could account for it's noise / slow performance. If the reel you bought has genuinely only been used once, it's unlikely to be suffering from any broken or worn parts, so the first thing I'd do is give the spool-bearings a good clean & re-lube.

Another possibility (without knowing exactly what sort of "noise" you're getting) is that some 525's need careful "balancing" when loading line onto the reel - if the balance is out, the reel can really scream. I don't know why, it must have been down to some aspect of production, but some 525's will spool-up fine while others need a trial & error, hump-to-the-left/hump-to-the-right loading of the line. If you google "spool balancing 525's" or some such, I'm sure you'll find a much better explanation.

Finally, some 525's are just plain noisy while others run smooth as silk. I've got mate's who've got half a dozen or more of these reels and they tell me that there's always one or two that just won't run quiet. Also bear in mind that if the reel really is almost brand new, that it'll take a bit of time to "run in" - it probably took 6 months for that reel that I bought to quieten down & get the bearings run in etc. etc.

So probably not much wrong with it that a good clean & set-up won't cure, unless the one time that it was used was by the Incredible Hulk to haul in 50lb+ lumps of kelp for an entire session lol!!

Gary
                        ....fishin' accomplished......

Whitley Bay Angling Society
                        on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/whitleybayanglingsoc/

Comment

It sounds knackered I will give you 30 quid for your trouble.

Comment

Cheers g force mate al try them! And lol 30 quid!? The bloke I bought it off said he will give me a full refund of I can't get it fixed and yeah it genuinely has only been used once

Comment

Take the side plate off make sure the mags are all in situ and one hasn't come loose and doubled up pressing against the spool.

Comment

Working...
                              X