• Show
Clear All

• gill nets

what is the legal limit for gill nets
    as in how far off the shore should they be

thanks

sless

Hi Sless,

at the present moment, as far as I\'m aware, within the NESFC district (River Tyne to Donna Nook (South bank of the Humber Estuary)), no gill nets can be placed inside the 10m depth contour. This is throughout the year unless you have a salmon licence, although this is only April to September.

Cheers

Doc
    If it doesn't bite its not worth catching!!!

Comment

thanks doc

sless

Comment

In todays shields gazette Terry Woods reported seeing fishermen shooting nets only 150yds from marsden rock. The water wouldnt be 10ft never mind 10m.

Comment

Welcome to NESA Andy, thank\'s for that mate, I think there are a lot of issues that need to be addressed as far as our sport goes and the more things that are brought to light the better.

I have no doubt that we will get some things wrong but the more posts that are made on subjects like this the better. If we continue to ignore them we will end up with no fish and no sport to enjoy.

Thank\'s again for informing us about this.

Jim.
          Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Comment

I think we need some kind of quick response phone number for such things ...Doc this is your neck of the woods mate is this legal and if not is there owt we can do about it mate ????

Comment

i saw this number to report any wrong doings
              cant remember where i saw but i logged it
              the doc might know better though

sless

Comment

i know this is not up your way but earlier this year me and sharon took the puppy to the beach and we went to mappleton we walked along the beach towards cowden where we came acros some salmon nets that were been emptied by a comercial fisherman i asked if he had anything much but he replied not anything realy but something caught the corner of my eyes attention so i turned to look and at the side of his landrover was a basket (the ones the girls have to put there ironing in ) it was half covered in a oilskin jacket so i noticed something moving about in it when i walked over to it to have a look it was full of decent size flattys and a couple of salmon and some of the flattys were still alive but if he has a salmon license is he allowed to land the other fish or should he have put them back. as the regulations say that fishing is not allowed in under 10m of water

sean

[Edited on 5/11/2005 by big_sean]
                The beautifull South

Comment

Alan Charlton posted two numbers for Defra (north and south). Again I am not sure if these numbers could be used for this reason but I have them both in my phone.
                  I think as much info on this as possible would be welcome.

Jim.

Comment

cheers graham would be a good thing for all shore anglers to have a (quick response)number in there mobiles to report such things

Comment

good point sean

Comment

Graham that is the Defra south number mate. The Defra north number is 01670731399.

Jim.

Comment

thanks for that,its in my phone now

sless

Comment

I wonder what sort of response you/we get if we make a complaint,alot of government run organisations have alot of red tape etc before they take action.Trading Standards,DHSS and the likes spring to mind
                            Cheers Alan...

Comment

got both numbers

Comment

Working...
                              X