Shore fishing in Cyprus.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shore fishing in Cyprus.

Right, I was talking to my mate tonight and he is going to Cyprus on the 31st of March, he would like to know anything at all on this subject including hook sizes and baits . I told him that I had never been there but might know someone who has lol. Any help would be appreciated. TIA.

Jim.
    Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

I lived in Cyprus for nearly 3 years but I was\'nt into fishing then, but I do remember there was a lot of fresh mullet around,
    yum yum :P :P chargrilled :P oh! they were red mullet
    blackvelvet
    May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.

Comment

Thanks blackvelvet that gives me an idea what to tell him about gear to take with him.

Jim.

Comment

Willy,

I\'ve not fished Cyprus, but I have fished Malta. I traveled light with a telescopic spinning rod, because of the rocky terrain in Malta, I fished a bubble float with small hooks (4/6/8 or even smaller) just above the bottom, baited with fresh shrimp/prawn purchased at the local fish market. For my efforts I caught various small fish, probably Wrasse and the highlight was a Garfish (good fun on light tackle). For bait you could also use bread, fish strips, squid and worm if you can get it (Hey, they sell worms in the supermarkets in France !) also consider ledgering off the bottom if it\'s clean enough.

Species to hope for and get some sport on light tackle are Bream, Barracuda, Garfish.

Also consider the time of day your fishing, bright sunlight will spook a lot of fish, so dawn and dusk can be more productive.
        aka "Frodo Baggins"

Comment

Cheers Chris That is great I Really appreciate it. My mate will be chuffed.

[Edited on 25/3/2004 by willywetegg]

Comment

My mate just got back from Cyprus and unfortunately did not get to do any fishing. Apparently you need a licensce to do any sort of fishing over there. It can only be applied for when you get there.

He was told it is because the fish stocks are so low. Lucky we do not have that problem here eh. Well not according to the trawlermen.

Comment

you only need a licence for fishing in fresh water,ive booked two trips on the internet
              £20 aday,they pick u up and supply all bait feed you and drop you off

sless

Comment

Working...
              X