No announcement yet.

Arnold Clark!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A standard service should consist of ALL filters oil filter air filter pollen filter and fuel filter
    Not a problem with spark plugs as your car mark aint done enough miles lol
    Last edited by spongebob; 24-01-2014, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by spongebob View Post
      A standard service should consist of ALL filters oil filter air filter pollen filter and fuel filter
      Not a problem with spark plugs as your car mark aint done enough miles lol
      The service manager told me they didn't take the plugs out because they might have cracked them and we would have expected them to pay for new ones!!! Just utter chancers!

I spoke to CAB this afternoon and they said I should write to them again and ask for the money we spent on the "service and MOT" package to be returned. If they refuse CAB will contact them. I await Arnold Clark's response with baited breath!!
      2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Comment

A standard service will be oil and filter , check lights wipers levels suspension steering and tyres
        invictus maneo

Comment

Originally posted by kayos View Post
          When Lynn bought her car from the above she paid extra for 2 sevices and MOT's. First service yesterday. Although the car is 6 years old it only has 21,000 on the clock, archetypal 1 lady owner previously.

Arnold Clark called her told her the service was complete and recommended the following work be done. New air filter, spark plugs and timing belt and if she agreed they could do the work there and then and give her a deal of £430, but only that price if work done now. She was very upset and passed the phone to me. I knew the timing belt was done last March as it was stamped in the service book! Upshot was I had it out with service manager who admitted the spark plugs, air filter and timing belt weren't checked but was recommended "due to age/mileage of the vehicle", a fact that they did not share with Lynn!! Also they didn't even check the service book. What the hell kind of service doesn't change plugs and filter? Total waste of money and an absolute scam recommending work and not saying the items hadn't been checked, as any normal person would assume they were checked during service!! Spoke to the customer service manager at Head Office, he couldn't have cared less!! Is there a motor trade ombudsman or similar does anyone know please?
          Kayos can't believe that the cambelt wants changing after 21000 miles or is it the case of the motor is 6 year old.

Comment

Originally posted by beachbuddy View Post
            Kayos can't believe that the cambelt wants changing after 21000 miles or is it the case of the motor is 6 year old.
            Yes it was six years old last March and changed by the previous owner. If the T@ats had opened the service book they would have seen the work had been done and stamped!! To try to con folk is a disgrace. If a company phone you and tell tell you "Your service is complete and we recommend you get this work done, plugs, air filter and a timing chain, if you agree to us doing it today, we can give you a 20% discount so it will only cost £430." A normal person would assume they had done checks and the work was needed. I knew the timing belt had been changed so I knew they were at it. Went straight up there and confronted them and service manager admitted none of the 3 things recommended for replacement were checked, he had no choice really as timing chain was stamped in the service book as changed. You couldn't make it up!

As you can tell I am angry as.............They will not get away with it though.
            Last edited by kayos; 24-01-2014, 07:03 PM.

Comment

The service manager told me they didn't take the plugs out because they might have cracked them and we would have expected them to pay for new ones!!! Just utter chancers!

I spoke to CAB this afternoon and they said I should write to them again and ask for the money we spent on the "service and MOT" package to be returned. If they refuse CAB will contact them. I await Arnold Clark's response with baited breath!!

Nice one mark I hope you get the correct result fingers crossed for you ;-);-)

Comment

Caveat emptor springs to mind here. Not wanting to sound unsympathetic Mark, because I am, but how do you think mainline dealers stay in business? By ripping off the ordinary punter with excessive car prices, servicing charges and promises which never bear fruit.

To be honest I wouldn't trust any of them. How many times have we heard of warranties which only cover engine and gearbox. We never discover this until we actually go back and try to claim on the warranty.

I haven't heard of a service that didn't include the items that you mention but this is just another scam they are coming up with to con the ordinary punter.

The main problem is, and we are all guilty of this, is we don't read the small print and make sure we fully understand everything before we make a purchase.

Difficult situation Mark but I genuinely hope you get some success from this to get your service completed without extra cost and to teach the dealer a lesson
                A bad day's fishing is better than a good day at work

Comment

You are right on a lot of what you say, but it is the flagrant deception they indulge in. I mean if they had said " We haven't actually checked the parts we are recommending need changing it is based purely on the age of the car." Now then we would have said, no thanks. They know that so they deceive. Anyway if you give in to them, they will continue to do it, so I am not letting it go. That's a Taurean for you!

Comment

When Lynn bought her car from the above she paid extra for 2 sevices and MOT's. First service yesterday. Although the car is 6 years old it only has 21,000 on the clock, archetypal 1 lady owner previously.

Arnold Clark called her told her the service was complete and recommended the following work be done. New air filter, spark plugs and timing belt and if she agreed they could do the work there and then and give her a deal of £430, but only that price if work done now. She was very upset and passed the phone to me. I knew the timing belt was done last March as it was stamped in the service book! Upshot was I had it out with service manager who admitted the spark plugs, air filter and timing belt weren't checked but was recommended "due to age/mileage of the vehicle", a fact that they did not share with Lynn!! Also they didn't even check the service book. What the hell kind of service doesn't change plugs and filter? Total waste of money and an absolute scam recommending work and not saying the items hadn't been checked, as any normal person would assume they were checked during service!! Spoke to the customer service manager at Head Office, he couldn't have cared less!! Is there a motor trade ombudsman or similar does anyone know please?
                    Arnold clark is a big company mate and imo they wouldn't give a toss about an ageing motor like yours (even if it's low millage) and you personally. They're regimental in the service department, regardless of previous work, if it say's do it at that age/millage then they'll do it subject to your authorisation. They're only really interested in the company vehicles and ppl who renew every 2 or 3 years. If yer after an older car steer clear of main dealers, it just ain't good business I reckon. Hope this helps like, for the future of course

Comment

Originally posted by mick303 View Post
                      tell them ur going to go to trading standards.
                      Kayos, Mick is dead right, get in touch with Trading Standards.

Comment

Originally posted by Topfly View Post
                        Kayos, Mick is dead right, get in touch with Trading Standards.
                        complete waste of time, forget it. just a good job you used due diligence to avoid the rip off, be thankful and move on.

Comment

You are right on a lot of what you say, but it is the flagrant deception they indulge in. I mean if they had said " We haven't actually checked the parts we are recommending need changing it is based purely on the age of the car." Now then we would have said, no thanks. They know that so they deceive. Anyway if you give in to them, they will continue to do it, so I am not letting it go. That's a Taurean for you!
                          Mark

I agree with you totally and g.ordon who posted after you the mainline dealers only care about the company lease cars and those who change their cars regularly.

I had a similar problem a few years when a mainline dealer insisted on changing a timing belt on my Ford Orion which only had 19,000 on the clock. The recommended mileage for the timing belt was 60,000. I wrote to Ford complaining and they refunded my money "as a gesture of goodwill"

I think we could all roll off many stories of greed and deceit but the manufacturers rely on the mainline dealers for sales and so they won't criticise them.

My current car I bought from a place in North Yorkshire who buys cars on your behalf. The owner openly admits that the mainline dealers buy up nearly new cars at car auctions so that they charge what they like for the car and can keep the prices artificially high.

Stay clear of mainline dealers, they don't need you
                          A bad day's fishing is better than a good day at work

Comment

I know that mate, but our paper work said "standard service" which is not mentioned on their website! My issue is they phoned my partner and told her work needed done but did not tell her they hadn't checked these parts and she obviously assumed they had as they had just serviced it. If I had not been on the ball she would have been scammed!
                            On the website they are not covered in a standard service or the value one. I bought my car from a similar large franchise and its the same story. They are called a service but more of an oil and filter change and safety check. Always come up with something that should be changed at an extra cost. Don't think you have a case really but good luck anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by lys823 View Post
                              I know that mate, but our paper work said "standard service" which is not mentioned on their website! My issue is they phoned my partner and told her work needed done but did not tell her they hadn't checked these parts and she obviously assumed they had as they had just serviced it. If I had not been on the ball she would have been scammed!
                              On the website they are not covered in a standard service or the value one. I bought my car from a similar large franchise and its the same story. They are called a service but more of an oil and filter change and safety check. Always come up with something that should be changed at an extra cost. Don't think you have a case really but good luck anyway.
                              agree, best bet for a car that has ran out of manufacturers warranty is find a good local garage with good rep to do the service, after all it's only really an oil change and brake check required. MOT will show up any serious defects

Comment

Trust me mate

All cars differ on service schedule
                                No car requires spark plugs on every service nor every filter changed

The requirements will be documented in your service booklet

Some cars are long life service
                                Others require a mileage or time service IE. What comes first

A garage has no responsibility to check previous services
                                All it has to do is notify you that it will be required at a set time IE mileage
                                Or time the garage only opens your service booklet to stamp and document what work they have carried out

They have not tried to have you over its just a case of the guidelines for your car will say they are due because ov a upcoming mileage or age of your car

I would advise against commencing to start any proceedings against them because it will cost you money

It is your responsibility to inform the garage of any services that have been done
                                If the work was nor carried out by them

IE you stated the timing belt has been changed previously

Hope this helps
                                Species CAUGHT : Codling,Mackerel, Coalie,Dab,,smooth hound,spotted hound, Sea Scorpion, Rockling , Whiting

Comment

Working...
                                X