PERSONAL MESSAGING - CAN U HELP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PERSONAL MESSAGING - CAN U HELP?

Right then you lot…….I NEED HELP ! (mind, that’ll come as no surprise to you, I’m sure). But NO, it’s not THAT kind of help I need (well, not just now, anyway)…lol

With the exception of several new members joining since we moved over to this new Board, I know most of us had become fairly reliant upon the messenger feature of the previous Boards. They are dead handy for when you spot that somebody’s logged in and you need to contact them straight away (often quicker than e-mail and far more convenient when you’re on the Board).

I’ve asked Elton about providing a PM system on this, the new NESA Board, but this is where the problem comes in.

It appears we have 2 options;

I can already hear the groans of “oh no not again”, about the 1st option, but theses are the choices;

1. We go for a superior board which may
    mean starting the board from scratch. I don\'t know.

2. Everyone scours the \'net for a messaging system that works
    with postnuke (there are bound to be a few).

Considering the amount of time and effort it has taken to get this site up and running, it would be a sickener to end up having to do it all again.

So then, this is where I’m asking for YOUR help.

Personally, I wouldn’t have a clue as to where to start looking on the net for a compatible messaging system (other than searching on “messaging system postnuke compatibility”, or something along those lines).

Can ANYBODY help to track down such a messaging system?

Thanks in advance and your efforts will be greatly appreciated.

[Edited on 1/10/2003 by TC]

ooohh now there\'s a challenge!

there\'s actually loads of PM systems that\'ll work with postnuke, but the problem lies in how much PHP you might end up having to write yourself to configure them, and what versions of PHP \'nuke is running from on this server, and how the server PHP is administered. Either way, I think you\'ll be hard pressed to find something that can just be plugged in and will work, and even if you did, when it goes wrong it\'ll be a nightmare if you don\'t fully unerstand the code that going on inside.

So, my ten bob\'s worth....

why integrate it with nuke, I\'m guessing the server is running Linux, rather than win2000, and if so the mail function of PHP is fairly easy to use. Rather than look for a post nuke specific PM, try a generic PHP PM instead, The down side might be that you loose some of the automatic notification features, so folks will have to manually check there PMs. Is the server running the latest version of C-panel?? or is it something like plesk? If its c-panel a lot of what you want is already there in the server control panel
    ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
    Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

I don\'t know if you meant it but that has got me more baffled than the bosses talking their usual ****e at work.

Hope it helps though to get it sorted.
      :P

Comment

:P Thanks for all the invaluable info 5150 and Mark.

I\'m afraid I\'m with Peter on this, like !!

Hope Elton knows what you mean - I\'m totally baffled now...lol.

Just as a note about judges of character (see also this same post in shore fishing).....I mentioned in response to Harold that I\'d made a scribbled list of a few people who I thought would be able to help out on this matter (I was gonna e-mail them instead of posting about the problem, but thought I\'d open it up to the whole Board)......the list goes;

Harold
        Andy (Winter)
        Mark (mth)

Not a bad judge, eh??

Comment

Working...
        X