great inventions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• great inventions.

boa1rd so was thinking about above.im going to kick it of with the humble BATTERY.please feel free to add to list.only 1 invention at a time please.

For me, Reg, it is the humble window blinds, because if it wasn't for blinds.......................... it would be curtains for all of us!!
    2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Comment

wheel
      have you got a cloth

Comment

A fishing rod !

Comment

Alcohol....

Probably the main cause of most births, marriages/ divorces and probably deaths

Responsible for a large percentage of crimes and preserves everything.....except secrets..

Makes your late night internet shopping very interesting too..

But we love it anyway...

Comment

Internet - There's nothing you can't find out, what did we do before it.
            Cheers, Keith.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithB View Post
              Internet - There's nothing you can't find out, what did we do before it.
              The internet will be the death of knowledge as we know it. Young people do not read anymore - at all. They just go on the net, play Xbox and chat all day/night on social media.

The prelim for English was last week and the close reading was an article on John Lennon. Six of my seventeen students admitted they had never heard of him!

Comment

Originally posted by kayos View Post
                The internet will be the death of knowledge as we know it. Young people do not read anymore - at all. They just go on the net, play Xbox and chat all day/night on social media.

The prelim for English was last week and the close reading was an article on John Lennon. Six of my seventeen students admitted they had never heard of him!
                For the footy fans - I was reading yesterday an article about Ravel Morrison being compared to Gazza by Lee Clark. Ravel said whos Gazza? Paul Gascoigne? never heard of him!
                Really got to me that did.

Great inventions, what about penicillin...or is that a "discovery"
                Best shore catch 2016 - 7.5lb cod, Seaton Carew!
                CS RNLI representative – www.rnli.org

Comment

Originally posted by LiamNE View Post
                  For the footy fans - I was reading yesterday an article about Ravel Morrison being compared to Gazza by Lee Clark. Ravel said whos Gazza? Paul Gascoigne? never heard of him!
                  Really got to me that did.

Great inventions, what about penicillin...or is that a "discovery"
                  Here is some more world changing events that my students have not heard about. The Holocaust, The seige of Stalingrad, The Vietnam war, Hiroshima, Nagasaki, The British Emoire, Colonialism, the list is endless.

I despair!

Comment

Originally posted by kayos View Post

Yes but if they wanted to research John Lennon would they spend hours at the local library looking for the info they can find on the net in seconds?

I can't speak for youngsters but I couldn't quantify the knowledge I've gained from the web, for example I managed to repair the capacitors on the power supply a Samsung TV, I wouldn't of found that info in a book.

Did you pick up the majority of your fishing knowledge from books?

Ps

Games consoles existed long before most kids had access to the internet.
                    Cheers, Keith.

Comment

Yes but if they wanted to research John Lennon would they spend hours at the local library looking for the info they can find on the net in seconds?

I can't speak for youngsters but I couldn't quantify the knowledge I've gained from the web, for example I managed to repair the capacitors on the power supply a Samsung TV, I wouldn't of found that info in a book.

Ps

what was wrong with the samsung or did it just go off completely?

Comment

Ps

No. they would google it, of course they would. However people should go to libraries and maybe fall in love with books. No one looks up the net to educate themselves for education sake, they only look up what they want/need to know. The internet is amazing, no question, but it will makie dummies of us all in the end, because reading will cease to exist and that is where wisdom is gained. Also it has spawned a class of "know it alls" (not you)who actually know bog all, just a few dodgy facts gleaned from the net and the veracity of such information is questionable.

As to where I learned my fishing knowledge, most would say - "What knowledge?!"
                        Last edited by kayos; 30-01-2015, 02:21 PM.

Comment

hard to say the most important invention, but internet got to be very high up because without it we would not know most of each other and not doing this dicussion ,but for me electricity has got to be the best because without it most of the things we do or use would be useless

Comment

Kayos sounds like he's describing one of my apprentice. The other day he wasn't sure if parrots lay eggs. He's 18 FFS!!

The car has got to be up there for inventions Reg. I absolutely love mine.
                            All the gear, no idea.

Comment

combustion engine
                              •Secretary not permanent fixture until screwed on top of desk
                              Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
                              :man with hole in pocket feel cocky all day

PB COD 22LB (BOAT) Grafter h'pool
                              LING 21LB (BOAT) Esmeralda h'pool
                              CONGER 30LB (BOAT) IOM
                              THORNBACK RAY 13LB (BOAT) ULLAPOOL
                              COD 12LB PIER(middleton)
                              CARP 30LB CANADA
                              PIKE 25LB SCOTLAND

Comment

Working...
                              X