A week in Gdansk(with photos)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A week in Gdansk(with photos)

Lynn and I finally decided that Easter fishing in the North East wasn't working for us, so we looked for a quirky foreign city to visit and Gdansk seemed to fit the bill. Just over 2 hours from Glasgow with Wizz and prices that seemed too good to be true, we flew off last Saturday, with me topped up with Diazapam, as flying scares the Bee Jesus out of me!!

Flight was scary as hell but we arrived and the Wizz bus was there to take us to our hotel(£3 each), the room(£23 a night) was lovely with a balcony, big bathroom and the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in.

A good night's sleep and off to the old town to explore. There is some amazing architecture, all lovingly rebuilt by the Russians after the Germans flattened it during the war!

We had read about a boat trip to the shipyard that brought Lech Walesa to the attention of the world and ultimately ended with him becoming president of Poland, so we went looking for that and were surprised to find the ship was rather incongruously a fake Galleon! I was surprised to hear on the commentary that Walesa actually climbed the fence into the yard during the strike, as he had been sacked months earlier!

It was a really interesting trip to pass all the old heavy industries and shipyards and also to see the monument that commemorate the first shots fired in the second world war.

I'm not sure the rest of the tourists agreed mind you!

On the way back we saw a fair few folk fishing in a very small space, maybe a Gdansk hotspot, or perhaps the Makkie were in! I have to say that we saw a lot of guys fishing, with strangely earth worms! I have to say we never once saw anyone catch anything.

Photobucket seems to be playing up at the moment and I haven't really worked out how to use my new camera properly yet, plus I couldn't fit my lenses in my pokey wee case, so I will write part two later, if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by kayos; 19-04-2015, 05:55 PM.
    2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Very interested, its great to see these reports and photo's.
    Keep it up.

Comment

its all very good mark!!!!!!!!!!! the new camera seems to be doing fine,and pics supported by a good commentary.bring on round two
      AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

nice viewing mark,as said,looking forward 2 round 2.

Comment

Working...
        X