The Last Gdansk!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Last Gdansk!

The next day we went to the Maritime Museum, which was really interesting and included the first ship Polish shipyards built after WW2. The SS Soldek, it was outside at the Quayside, not in the museum!

Lynn got a bit carried away.

What surprised us most was the quality of the food. We had been to Krakow a few years ago and the food was good, if a bit rustic and we expected the same in Gdansk. We were so wrong, it was fine dining every night, even in small cafe/restaurants. Lynn seemed to become a pescetarian for the week having Halibut, Zander, Herring, Turbot, Hake, Cod, oh and Oysters!!

I stuck mostly with meat, but couldn't resist the Halibut at £8! We didn't pay more than £11 each for a meal and I had a Haunch Venison which has to be the best restaurant meal I have ever had. The food was delicious, beautifully presented and the service impeccable, every night and the end of the meal we were asked if we needed a taxi booked. It puts us in this country to shame! As said the food was cheap, beer under £2 a half litre, 15 mins bus ride from our hotel 50p and under £3 back in a taxi. This was in the tourist hotspot of the Old Town, so who knows how cheap it was elsewhere!?

I know the Polish get a hard time in the UK, but we found them lovely. Hotel staff all extremely helpful, cafe staff so efficient and friendly and we just loved it. I understand, that with a good wage being £600 a month, the lure of moving to another country. The receptionist at our hotel said to us that the Poles who come here are not a good example of her country, as they are the ones who can't get work in Poland. I'm not sure if that is correct, but it's what she said. Anyway a wee story from the plane home - I asked for a coke from the trolley and proffered a Scottish £10 which was refused, as they only accepted English notes, to say I was angry was an understatement, but knowing it wasn't the Stewardess' fault, I merely pointed out the irony of flying to Scotland and refusing Scottish notes! About a minute later the Polish girl sitting behind me, a girl of about 25yrs old, tapped me in the shoulder and said "I had a few spare Zlotys, so I bought you a coke!

How kind is that!!

Here is a few more photos.

Last edited by kayos; 21-04-2015, 08:16 PM.
    2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

good read mark and nice pics
    have you got a cloth

Comment

What a great set of reports, thoroughly enjoyed the series, the photographs and the comments.
      Sure looks and reads like you've both had a brilliant time.
      Looks a very interesting place to enjoy a break.
      Might have to fit that on the bucket list.
      Thanks very much for sharing Mark.
      John S

Comment

Yet again Mark superb

Thanks for that interesting read and pictures

All the best

Norm
        ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
        . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
        ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Thanks guys I appreciate the comments. Tony I might PM you in the future if I don't get the hang of the camera lenses, if that's OK?
          2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Comment

LOVE YOUR SHOE STYLE,lynn.crocs again,LOL.

Comment

no probs m8 anytime
              have you got a cloth

Comment

Working...
              X