THE BLUES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE BLUES

Just been watching it on BBC2........Didn\'t want it to finish....fascinating stuff.

If you missed it and like Delta Blues stuff by Son House, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, etc (the REAL blues men), you missed a treat.

Son House playing \"death letter blues\".........Whooo-Hoooo.....tremendous !!

Just tuned my acoustic to Open A - gotta get me a bottle neck tomorrow....lol

[Edited on 1/10/2005 by TC]

[Edited on 1/10/2005 by TC]

Just been flicking about cos there was nowt on. As they say in Consett Bo££ocks. Would have enjoyed that.

Jim.
    Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Comment

double bollocks!

right up my avenue, got tons and tons early blues, started out as a mission to find the original versions of all the tracks on the first 2 zeppelin albums (yup they are nearly all cover versions) and ended up with a catalogue of artists with names almost as strange as the names given to fishing flies!
      ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
      Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

Zeppelin actually got a mention in the program, Mark:-

Lemon Song.........inspired by and including a few lines of Robert Johnsons\' \"Traveling Riverside Blues\"

Comment

if you check BBC 3/4 the program listings it might be repeated
          Cheers Alan...

Comment

Used to have a mate that played in a blues band fantastic to watch him play he used to be nuts about stevie ray vaughn !!! and not to nuts about eric clapton on account of stevie ray apparantly died on the way to a clapton gig or summitt ,personaly I think clapton rocks

Comment

SRV died in a helicopter crash so the terminus was irrelevant (except for being terminal). Love him to bits though. Bit more edgy than Clapton (who\'se still a good guy)

Comment

Prefer SRV to Clapton, but Rory Gallager beat the two of them hands down for a raw, edgy sound.
                www.robadairpetcare.uk

Comment

Think I\'ve posted this before but Rory was one of my all time heroes. Saw him at the City Hall once and then sat with him in the Wimpy Bar opposite the Central Station and he chatted to us for ages, us waiting for the last bus and him waiting for the train. Magic bloke.

Comment

Got to agree with ALL the names mentioned........they are/were ALL good - better than \"good\"......but.........all imitators - not inovators, in my book. Nearest any of the above named came to sounding like the \"real\" blues (and not the more easy on the ear, \"cleaned up\" blues), was Rory Gallagher when he really got that bottle-neck going.

Comment

http://www.rorygallagher.com/html/index.htm
                      click on albums and theres a load of mp3 samples to listen to sinnerboy guitar solo ..cool

Comment

I know that I seem to be keep going on about them at the moment and that they are not to the liking of many.......but.....it\'s great to see a band with a HUGE following of young fans covering songs originally written and performed by the likes of Leadbelly, Son House, Blind Willie McTell, The Memphis Jug Band and Robert Johnson.
                        As there are only 2 members of White Stripes, their sound (paricularly live) is very raw and basic....much the same as the original blues players.

Take a look in here and click to play the demo of \"Death Letter\" (originally Death Letter Blues, by Son House) - infact - click on the rest, too - you might just like it !
                        http://delit.net/music/title_list_world.phtml?id=7072

It\'s good to know that there is still a young audience wanting to hear songs by the great bluesmen from the past and not just the latest thing by Coldplay or Franz Ferdinand With a bit of luck, they might even start looking for and listening to the original versions - much the same way as Mark did with the Led Zeppelin covers.

[Edited on 6/10/2005 by TC]

Comment

Already got my young\'uns (and not so young\'un) in practice

I doubt many 9 year olds would know who Steppenwolf or Cream are, yet alone listen to them
                          www.robadairpetcare.uk

Comment

love the white stripes mate and know what you mean about the raw sound ...its one band I would absolutely love to see live

Comment

not a big fan, and wasn\'t that impressed with their performance on Live 8 (was it Live 8??), but if you will play a cardboard guitar though, I don\'t suppose you can expect it to stay in tune for long

much preferred French and Saunders take off of them - \'The Poo Stripes\' very funny
                              ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
                              Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X