Help with research please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with research please

I was reminded by a colleague today at 5:10 (I\'m meant to finish at 4:30) that the boss on his way out (4:10) had said \"Remind ellboy that he is doing a presentaion at our weekly meeting on Time Management\"

Weekly meeting takes place for a whole hour on a monday morning stopping us from dealing with the ****load of work we turn up to.

Last week I had 1 day when I could sit down in our diabolical canteen, surrounded by screaming numpties, to enjoy a plate of curly chips. (The peasants go for the straight ones, the culture brigade get gravy but have realised that the curly chips suffer on application) all the more curly chips for me YUM

Anyhow, I\'ve got an eff off presentation sorted out for them / him, working on it now. Gist is ...Why do we need to manage our time? So you ********s can squeeze as much out of us as possible. Did a web search on time management and it\'s all \"maximize your potential to succeed and watch the gimmers fall by the wayside\" (£345 for the training pack) all links saved and ready to be PowerPointed. Got some great breakdowns of what we spend an average week doing - mainly sleeping and working.

What I\'m after and can\'t find are the statistics on what we do in an average lifetime. i.e. 40 years kipping, 20 years fishing and the rest is gravy. If anyone can dig those stats out I\'d be most grateful. I\'m also about to go searching for how the UK measures up against other countries in terms of hols, working hours, employment stuff. I get the feeling we come way down in the list but need the proof.

Help me **** my boss off. He\'s small and hairy and went to my school I\'ve just found out. (a year older than me) I\'ve got an awful feeling I bullied him a bit, just mild stuff, nowhere near as bad as what the rest of the school did to him (Teachers included) I think he somehow respects me for it.

What a pile of ****.
    "I mock thee not, though I by thee am mockéd.
    Thou call'st me madman, but I call thee blockhead"

Dunno if you\'ve tried here, Charlie:-

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=440

Or this:-

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/lib2001/index.html

Don\'t think it\'s EXACTLY what you\'re after.....but it may be useful.

Lol.......Don\'t get me started on \"Time Management\"..........what a load of bollox that is

[Edited on 3/12/2005 by TC]

Comment

Washing and ironing take nine months,
      cleaning takes 16. Another two years and two months pass cooking the family meals.

The \"life by numbers\" breakdown is the work of German researchers who added up all the snatched moments of everyday activities to find how much time they take up over the average lifetime of 78 years.

The result is a fascinating picture of how we spend our lives.

Eating and drinking, whether a quick bite on the run or a leisurely lunch, takes five years.

But the average TV viewer spends six months longer than that watching their favourite programs.

Other more traditional pastimes such as reading and playing games formed no part of the study.

Instead, it revealed we spend four months of our lifetimes playing computer games.

And another five hammering and painting in DIY projects.

In contrast, the supposedly big responsibilities of an individual\'s life take up surprisingly little time.

For instance, we spend seven years of our lifetimes actually at our jobs, according to the research.

Nine months, however, goes on travelling to and from the office. Education doesn\'t seem to take up much time either. Only one year and ten months is spent in the classroom.

For drivers trapped in daily travels, the calculation that we spend six months stuck in traffic jams may seem to fall rather short.
      In fact, the smallest chunk of time is allocated to the height of passion. It seems just 16 hours is spent having orgasms in the average lifetime. But at least we do spend two weeks kissing.

Sleeping takes up the most time, using 24 years and four months of the average lifetime.

The research, published in German science magazine Geo Wissen, was the result of a study of national statistics and personal questionnaires.

\"It would probably surprise some people to think that they spend an average of six months of their lives sitting on the toilet or four whole months playing computer,\" said a magazine spokesman.

\"That, of course, is a relatively new calculation because computers weren\'t around a decade or so ago.\"
      ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
      Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

oh forgot to mensh\', my invoice is in the post

16 hours? - depends on what pharmaceutical products are involved
        ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
        Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

Thanks Tony been there and got some interesting graphs and info.

I\'ll deal with you later Sparky, far to busy trying to find time to exhale when my activity sheet says I should be inhaling.

It used to be called Time and Motion if I remember rightly

Comment

You DO remember rightly......

Unfortunately, these days I haven\'t got time for motions......hence the bag attachment

Comment

Lol.......Don\'t get me started on \"Time Management\"..........what a load of bollox that is
              Another quote for my presentation if you don\'t mind Tony,I\'ll attribute it to TC and say it came from that well known cartoon with the dustbin and telephone thing going on.

Comment

mark could you highlight the relevant bit\'s in bold please or put them into a powerpoint presentaion or some spreadsheet type of **** with my name in cell P2f please.

Comment

Why is it the ones who insist on you keeping an up to date \"project management plan\" and expect (nay....demand) that you manage your workload properly are the ones who come to you with \"URGENT\" (\"thisafternoon\") work for you to do for THEIR presentation, document, strategy, etc, etc.........when THEY\'VE been working on it for the past 3 weeks or so !!!!

That sort of thing is the reason I tend to get into work at around 8:45 and am still working at 3:00am most nights

Comment

While we\'re at it how do our working hours per day and days off per year match up to our electron fiends. I know the dirty spaniards have about 9 months a year off (Flexitime)

As for zee Germans. They\'re either not working at all (Hitler / Thatcher/ gerhardt miterand legacy) or sunning themselves on OUR BEACHES.

Now I\'m on one
                    Italians = Nice! Cheese and tomato based culture with nice suits and scooters. Bad! Mafia and too much had waving (WTF, chill pedronio)
                    Spanish = Nice! The only country with a fly named after it you want to eat. Bad! Coastline serously polluted by an annual influx of disease. (Us and out extended families)
                    Last one for now

Dutch / Hollanders / people from the Lowlands (Includes Norfolk same ****ing difference)
                    Nice! Everyone sounds like Paul Whitehouse
                    Bad! Too much emphasis on clogs, tulips, anal sex, dykes, bikes and museums containg only things from Hollandland.

To be continued ..........Germany, wooooooooooooooo, my head hurts

[Edited on 3/12/2005 by Charlie_Thompson]

Comment

Hmmmm....

8:45AM - 3:00AM = 18.25 hrs per day
                      take off 30 mins for lunch (if I\'m lucky) = 17.75hrs
                      take off 1 hour at tea time = 16.75hrs
                      take off a couple of hrs spent looking in on here = 14.75hrs

That\'s 5 days a week @ 14.75hrs

I\'ve not included the weekends......lol

Don\'t get paid overtime.........get time off instead..........what\'s the point of THAT ????

I HAVEN\'T GOT THE F\'KIN\' TIME TO TAKE \"TIME OFF\" !........Even if I did....I\'d just be stockpiling stuff for when I returned !!

Oh dear.........YOU GOT ME STARTED...........Lol

Comment

The first step towards effective time management TC, take a full and detailed inventory of........... It\'s also one of the first steps on the 12 step plan as well! First thing I did TC was add up my hours (did you use the windows calculator as well?

Comment

Last year we went over to a computer based weekly \"time sheet\", \"TAS\" or \"Time Allocation System\" as it\'s called. Prior to that we used a paper based system. I used to bring my \"weekly\" timesheets home to fill in (once a month). Since going over to the new TAS system, I\'ve not filled in ONE timesheet.......simple reason.......I haven\'t got time to do so at work and I\'m far from being the only one in that situation.

Aye...it\'s a cushy number working in Local Government.....lol

Comment

Capitalism for you, right in your face. Wage slavery, exploitation, ignorantisation and the unremitting fact that the rich continue to get richer and we continue to get poorer. We are geting the **** ripped out of us on a daily basis. We should sort it out. 6 world wars and always against other countries. We should declare war on this system that is obviously failing us. Run by buck toothed english graduates, from the top ten UNI\'s! (I want to smash people up when they say UNI!) A few years ago for an ordinary person to make it to university was a tremendous thing, if your family was lucky enough to get someone in it used to be pronounced \"UNIVERSITAYEHOEYA****A\"

Gotta sleep

I just hate Blairs and Straws and even yer ****ing Prescotts a few years at UNI and ****ing us all up

[Edited on 3/12/2005 by Charlie_Thompson]

Comment

\"I just hate Blairs and Straws and even yer **** ing Prescotts.......\"

It\'s people a bit more local I was referring to.....lol........but YES.....ultimately, it\'s the crack-pot policies of the Govt which are ultimately responsible for the ridiculous hours we put in.

And THEY want a 15% pay rise ????

Comment

Working...
                              X