DEATH OF A BOYHOOD INSPIRATION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEATH OF A BOYHOOD INSPIRATION

Just read that Heinrich Harrer died on Saturday, aged 93.
    I guess most of you will not have heard of him, but for me he was one of my boyhood inspirations and the person who got me interested in climbing after finding a book of his, \"The White Spider\" in a junk shop.
    In 1938, in one of the greatest mountaineering feats of the time, he was in the first party successfully to climb the notorious North Face of the Eiger, in the Swiss Alps.
    If you get the chance, have a read of his book \"The White Spider\" - gripping stuff.

[Edited on 9/1/2006 by TC]

The film \"Seven years in Tibet\" was about him and he was played by Brad Pitt. He and a fellow POW escaped from a British camp in India and crossed 65 mountain passes and the Tibetan plateau, in the dead of Winter, on foot. It took them 2 years to reach Lhasa, Tibet, where they stayed as guests of the Dalai Lama until the Chinese invaded in 1951. Great film.

I remember the papers having a go at him when the film was released (1997) as he was allegedly a member of the Nazi Party when he was younger.

A truly great man in my eyes for his physical and mental toughness, I only wish that my childhood heroes had been as inspirational, most of them died choking on there own vomit after drink and drug excesses
    www.robadairpetcare.uk

Comment

Yes Rob.....canny film (if a little untrue in places). Get hold of the book \"Seven Years In Tibet\".......for a full account.
      He was a member of the SS for a short period - in the role of ski instructor.

Comment

little known fact, but he was also a pal of Aleister Crowley - drug fuelled maniac and all round sexual nutcase! Crowley actually made one of the first attempts on everest in the early 20\'s, and nailed most of the alpine peaks in his time, before he decided to shave his head and nail his testicles to a piece of wood that is.

they were both members of the Society des Alpinistes as well, big mountains, hob nailed boots, tweed trousers and a bit of hemp rope tied around your waist!

I guess you had to be slightly mad to try it
        ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
        Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

malcolm slesser has wrote a few books on climbing
          have you read any of them tc

sless

Comment

Do you mean the author, writer and mountain explorer (mostly in Scotland, Greenland, Brazil and Peru).

One-time professor of energy studies at Strathclyde University and head of systems analysis at Euratom (1976-8).

Presently consultant in the field of natural capital accounting and energy systems analysis.

Author of over 100 published technical papers and of ten books covering energy systems, environment, exploration, sustainable development and guide book to the Isle of Skye and ski-mountaineering in Scotland..

Founder member of the International Network of Resource Information Centers (INRIC/Balaton Group) and of the Resource Use Institute. Member of the Scottish Mountaineering Club and past president. Lives in Edinburgh, Scotland..............??

If so......Nah, I\'ve never heard of him..........lol

Comment

he is me dad and i take after him
              hahaha

sless

Comment

Yep.....the family resemblence is plain to see, m8

Comment

lol

Comment

pmsl

Comment

Hahahahaha, nice one.

Jim.
                      Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Comment

Couldn\'t see it at first but if you squint a bit ...yep it\'s the nose isn\'t it TC.
                        You can take the lad out of Walker but .......

Comment

Landlord of my local is in to all that,just come back from a holiday climbing some bit of rock.
                          Can\'t see the point myself,want to get to the top,jump in a chopper.
                          THE PSYCHIC BIKER

Comment

nice one tc
                            its not realy me dad
                            im only funning

that bloke is smiling

sless

Comment

Sless do you wear those lovely red shirts for fishing as well?

that might be what\'s scaring the whiting away from the Cleadon results for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X