2001 - whats that all about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 - whats that all about

so I sat up and watched 2001 a space oddysey again last night for the umpteenth time, and I\'m still none the wiser.

first of there\'s some monkeys, then there\'s some more monkeys, then they all go to sleep after shouting at each other. A lepoard appears with a dead zebra then goes away. the monkeys wake up and there\'s a big black slab, which the monkeys eem to like. the second lot of monkeys find a pile of bones and club a pig to death and eat it and then go to sleep again, then they club one of the first monkeys to death, and then we are in a space ship with rigsby(?) on hisy back from the moon to earth. Next we are on the moon where there\'s another (or is the same one...) black slab which takes offence to having its picture taken and lets out a deafening eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee noise for a while. Now is 18 month later and were are on another space ship where they apear to eat trays of pease pudding and mushy peas, with an uptight computer called HAL (useless info; its called HAL as its letters come before IBM, which is imposible as IBM was formed in the 30\'s and this 2001) HAL throws a wobbly and tries to kill everyone. Someone called Dave tries to shut down HAL who in the throes of death decides to sing \"daisy Diasy give me your answer do....\"

Dave then jumps in an oversized tennis ball and flies towards yet another big black slab orbiting jupiter. 10 minutes of flashing lights, solarized film footage of oil in water etc and the oversized tennis ball has landed in a futuristic bedroom with mock regency furniture in it. Dave has suddenly aged 40 years, and see himself eating his tea and promtly disappears leaving only the older version of himself in the room (still with me??), the older dave then sees himself dying in bed before himself dissappearing. The black slab then appears at the foot of the bed. The dying dave waves at it and lo and behold turns into a foetus (eh?)

last we see of the feotal dave is when, having now become the size of mars, the foetal dave is orbitting the earth, and then the credits roll.

Confused??

I have watched this film sober and bladdered, straight and tripping me tits off. I\'ve seen the release version and 2 different directors cuts and whilst sometimes I like to think I now what its all about, the next time I see it I\'m non the blodddy wiser again!

If you want to be even more confused, watch the directors cut of 2010, or 2019.

the foetal dave is alive again, or is he a ghost, or is he god, or all 3 at the same time etc etc etc
    ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
    Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Mark,I taped it, never seen such c**p, ran it to-day kept fast forwarding, to find something that made scence, half way through gave up, waste of time fishy1

Comment

Mark it sounds to me like one of Ells dreams,is his name in the credits lol
      white van man

Comment

Mark it sounds to me like one of Ells dreams,is his name in the credits lol
        No you come to mention it one of those monkeys did look familiar
        ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
        Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

Working...
        X