No announcement yet.

bio diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I\'ve read one or 2 stories about older engines getting clogged up, mainly as they are\'nt as efficient as modern direct injection diesels, but that aside, I reckon there\'s a bit of scaremongering going on as well, from looking on hundreds of sites and forums, I\'ve found 2 cases where people using bio claimed there pumps packed in, but who\'s to say that they wouldn\'t of packed in anyway, things don\'t last for ever!

there\'s a couple of sites with lists of makes/models and the mileage done, some of which are pretty impressive - 300k in a nissan pajero

wierd thing is with landrover, in some models they say uls diesel. bio or even gas oil (red) is fine, red diesel being the dirtiest thing going, yet all of a suddent they change tack and drop the bio, and thats for the exact same engine from one year to the next

I do 50-60k miles a year, bio would save me over 4 grand a year which is 8 pumps ! or a brand new engine every year.

the local garage out here tells everyone not to buy diesle in morrsions, based on the fact he\'s had to fix 2 diesel cars in the last year with the same fault, that bought their fuel in morrisons. go figure

I\'ll be giving it a go. currently have 160k on the discovery, if the fuel pump/injectors start playing up in 20k miles time, will that be because of the bio, or the previous 160k on fossil diesel??

one interesting test I tried was to soak a rag in normal diesel and put a match to it and soak a rag in bio and do the same. far more soot/smoke off the fossil than the bio
    ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
    Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

Mark before ya do your 20,000 miles mate take ya head off give it a de-coke and also get ya injectors sonically cleaned and your pump overhauled,then start ya test mate,i do a lot of work on taxis and the ones i get more than others are the ones run on bio.If ya want to save monay on running costs why dont you switch to gas conversion
      FIND THE ROCKS AND KELP AND YOU WILL FIND ME

http://www.freewebs.com/jc-tiling-services/

Comment

Drink white lightening, stay in the house and get the bus somewhere once a week. Much cheaper although still a strain on the valves. As for it\'s effects on the injector ....
        "I mock thee not, though I by thee am mockéd.
        Thou call'st me madman, but I call thee blockhead"

Comment

I know there\'s a lot of taxis in the toon are running what they call bio-diesel but is really just cooking oil and addititves

so does that mean that if you buy commercial bio diesel on the forecourt its gonna nack yer motor as well??

can\'t wait to find out what happens.

I\'m gonna whip the injectors out tommorrow and give em a once over and take some close up pics of them, then give it a few thousand miles and do it again

even if it does turn out problematic, I can still run me central heating a hell of a lot cheaper if I use the bio in that

Thought for the day:
          Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Comment

hope it goes well Mark.Not sure what the taxis are running on except that they all get it from a place in consett,which also supplies red deisel,and a deisel/kerosene mix
            FIND THE ROCKS AND KELP AND YOU WILL FIND ME

http://www.freewebs.com/jc-tiling-services/

Comment

if its from consett I know where it is and its not proper biodiesel, it a cooking oil/kerosene /methanol mix

the oil comes from couple of large food manufacturers that do lots of deep fryin

Thought for the day:

Comment

even if it does turn out problematic, I can still run me central heating a hell of a lot cheaper if I use the bio in that
                Would it not clog up your radiators though
                "I mock thee not, though I by thee am mockéd.
                Thou call'st me madman, but I call thee blockhead"

Comment

http://gprime.net/video.php/waterfuel

try this mark

Comment

I can\'t wait for the outcome
                    May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.

Comment

by the way what ratio mix are we talking ? or does it vary on the age of the engine? etc.etc,
                      May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.

Comment

One of the lads used this in his car when we were fishing. He just poured cooking oil straight in instead of mixing it. He had a little trouble starting but was fine once it got going. No hiding this from the police though as it smelled like someone was having a barbecue lol. Made us all starving after a night\'s fishing.
                        <i>Put back what you don't need.</i>

Comment

I heard of a few lads who run their diesels on cooking oil mixed with diesel. They recon as long as you don\'t mix the oil more than 50 / 50 with the diesel you get no trouble.
                          Most of them run on about 70 % diesel and 30% oil, still saves a few quid. None of them have had any trouble and they\'ve been doing it a good while now.
                          As said before it smells a bit tho when your stood at the lights

Comment

by the way what ratio mix are we talking ? or does it vary on the age of the engine? etc.etc,
                            with the proper bio-diesel, I\'m running 100%

thats the problem with just chucking cooking oil in, it smells as the fat in it burns, bio has the fat removed

Thought for the day:

Comment

Working...
                            X