Syd Barrett...RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syd Barrett...RIP

Syd Barrett, the former leader of Pink Floyd and one of the key figures of the sixties, has died at the Cambridgeshire home to which he retreated as a recluse more than 30 years ago.The Guardian has learned that the singer, 60, who suffered from a psychedelic-drug induced breakdown while at the peak of his career, died last Friday from complications related to diabetes.
    His brother Alan confirmed his death, saying only: \"He died peacefully at home. There will be a private family funeral in the next few days.\"

A real genius, and years ahead of his time.
    Demons run when a good man goes to war...

sad news indeed, a huge influence on me as a youth, he\'d recently be seen to pick up a guitar again as well

http://www.nme.com/news/pink-floyd/23570

[Edited on 11/7/2006 by mark]
    ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
    Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

Very sad to hear that.
      He changed the face of popular music just as much as the The Beatles - sad thing is.....unless you\'re a Pink Floyd fan, you probably haven\'t even heard of him, let alone the inspiration and legacy he\'s left behind.

On a more cynical note.........This probably means PF will be releasing a digitally remastered \"boxed set\" of their early work and it will have stupidly high price tag on it.

Comment

Aye Tony...but there\'s some canny stuff on \"Piper at the gates of dawn\" and \"A saucerful of secrets\".
        Demons run when a good man goes to war...

Comment

RIP Syd. love the early syd inspired mentalness of Floyd.

Comment

Although I mostly prefer the newer stuff (being a young\'un and all)with the exception of saucer full of secrets, this bloke started off a band that changed the way I looked at music. He showed that music is a lot more than a cathy tune that you can dance to. Some music can have a deep message that is only visable when you look for it. He broke the music mould and is no doubt respected by most of the top musicians today for what he done to the industry. RIP
            <i>Put back what you don't need.</i>

Comment

Working...
            X