Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For When You Get "SKUNKED" Fishing . . . "GRAMPA DAVE'S CHILI"

For When You Get "SKUNKED" Fishing . . . "GRAMPA DAVE'S CHILI"

Getting "SKUNKED" ( probably an "Americanism" ) happens to everyone, once in a while ( not catching anything ) . . . When it does, we still need to eat !

Grampa Dave's chilli recipe . . .

Well, in case you hadn't guessed it already, I'm "Grampa Dave" . . . Here, at my three grand-children's request, is my chilli recipe !

Please note that this recipe provides a "safe starting point" as to heat and intensity . . . Add more seasoning, as desired !

GRAMPA Dave's Chili

INGREDIENTS :

1 lb. - 80% Ground Chuck ( Ground Beef that is 80% Lean, 20% Fat content )
    2 Cans - Great Value "Chili-Ready" Tomatoes ( Wal-Mart brand name ) ( There may be an "equivalent" in the UK ... Otherwise diced tomatoes work OK ).
    1 Can - Dark Red Kidney Beans
    1 Can - Light Red Kidney Beans
    1 Can - Tomato Sauce
    1 Large - Green Pepper ( Diced )
    1 Medium Vidalia Onion ( Diced ) ( The Vidalia Onion is a "sweet onion" )
    1 Tablespoon - Chili Powder ( "Safe" Starting Point )
    4 - Beef Bouillon Cubes
    4 oz. - Sliced Mushrooms ( Optional )
    Garlic ( As Desired )
    Black Pepper ( As Desired )
    Seasoned Salt ( As Desired )
    Cayenne Pepper ( As Desired - Use Sparingly )

PREPARATION & COOKING :

(1) Combine ALL Ingredients, EXCEPT for the GROUND CHUCK and the ONIONS, in a large pot and heat over Medium-High heat, stirring occasionally.

(2) Brown Ground Chuck and DRAIN THOROUGHLY ( Add a sprinkling of additional Seasonings as listed above, if desired, to add flavor during cooking ). Add to Ingredients prepared in Step 1.

(3) Place Diced Onions in a large skillet and saute' them, until brown (They are cooked separately to prevent an "overpowering" Onion flavor in the Chili ) Additional seasoning may be used, if desired . . . DRAIN THOROUGHLY and add to Pot.

(4) Add the GROUND CHUCK and ONIONS to the pot and stir until thoroughly mixed in. Add water, as needed ( it will simmer out during cooking )

(5) Cook Chili over MEDIUM-HIGH heat, until it comes to a BUBBLING Boil, stirring occasionally . . . REDUCE Heat to MEDIUM-LOW and allow to cook for at least TWO HOURS, stirring occasionally . . . DO NOT ALLOW Chili to RE-BOIL and LOWER HEAT, as needed.

(6) "TASTE-TEST" During Cooking and Adjust Seasonings, as desired . . . SERVE & ENJOY ! ! !

OPTIONAL : We like to sprinkle Shredded Cheddar Cheese on top and add a large "dollop" of Sour Cream in the middle.

I really hope that everyone enjoys this recipe . . . Whenever they come over to spend the night, all three of my grand-kids say, "Grampa, can we make your Chili tonight?" . . . Who could say no to that ? - LOL !
    Last edited by Ez2cDave; 13-12-2013, 07:17 PM.

A love chilli me

Comment

Originally posted by Winton View Post
      A love chilli me
      Do you need a toilet on ice for this one Dave will try this one for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by beachbuddy View Post
        Do you need a toilet on ice for this one Dave will try this one for sure.
        No problems with this recipe ... Nice & mild, UNLESS someone decides to "light a fire under it" with Habanero and/or Ghost Chile peppers ( not me )

Enjoy ! ! !

Comment

Working...
        X