Treat your cod to a better sendoff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treat your cod to a better sendoff

Here's one of the lucky codling I caught on Monday night.

*If your missus is picky about eating fish but will strangely eat fish fingers no problem, then this is a dead cert. It's easy to do once you've cleaned your fillets up and if you have no distractions you can do the lot in the time it takes to cook the wedges. I'd rather have this than fish and chips any day.**

Cod goujons, lemon garlic and bay wedges, warm bean salad and lemon and parsley mayo

**Lemon, bay and garlic wedges:
    * leave the skin on your taties,
    * cut into reasonable size wedges,
    * place skinside down in a grill pan or oven tray.
    * If you really want to push the boat out, add some chunks of chorizo to the tray. It's not essential.
    * season with salt, pepper, olive oil,
    * crunch and sprinkle half a dozen dried bay leaves over.*
    * Take a couple of lemons, quarter them, squeeze the juice all over the wedges and dump the squeezed chunks in the tray.*
    * squash half a dozen garlic cloves on the bench and chuck them in the pan too, dont peel them, leave the skins on.
    * stick these in a hot oven for about 30 mins.*
    * No need to turn them.* They won't stick if they're skin side down.*

**cod goujons:
    * pinbone and skin your fillet(s),
    * cut into finger size pieces,
    * dip into well seasoned flour, beaten egg, then breadcrumbs.
    * Repeat the egg and breadcrumbs if you want extra thick and crunchy coating on them.*
    * place on greaseproof paper on a baking tray, not a trivet, cos they'll stick to a trivet.
    * put these in the oven once the taties are half done.
    * turn once and consider putting them under the grill to crisp up.
    * if your greaseproof paper sets on fire under the grill, take it out of the oven before it gets out of control, blow it out and reset your smoke alarm

**lemon and parsley mayo:
    * put some mayo in a bowl
    * add some chopped fresh parsley
    * add the juice of a lemon or two
    * mix
    * taste and add more lemon juice until it has a punchy lemony flavour

**warm bean salad:
    * boil the kettle
    * top and tail some green beans and/or cut some runner beans into inch and bit diagonals
    * stick the beans into a microwave bowl and put enough boiling water in to just about cover them.
    * cling film the top of the bowl and microwave on full power for 5 mins.
    * chop a clove of garlic and an optional small red birdseye chilli
    * roughly chop 12-18 green olives.
    * heat some olive oil in a frying pan
    * drain the beans
    * fry the olives, garlic and chilli for a couple of minutes
    * add the drained beans and fry for a minute
    * add about half a tin of chopped toms
    * add a small pinch of salt.* not too much as the olives will be quite salty anyway
    * add a few fresh soft herbs like basil, parsley and corriander. If I chose one of those, it would be basil, but more than one is better.*

*dish up and eat.

sounds fab,, thx for sharing
    Punch and pull then let rip

NESA Lure Fishing Challenge 2011 Winner

UK species : Cod, Whiting, Poor Cod, Whiting, Mackerel, Coalie, Pollack, Rockling, Bass, Plaice, Flounder, Dab, Grannylasher, Pouting, Launce, Weaver, Sandeel, Ballan wrasse. eelpout

Global species: jewfish/big eye croaker,catfish(Sagor/African/Silver), whip ray, snapper, grouper, pufferfish,threadfin, trevally,stingray, mangrove shark, flowerhorn,

2014 combo:
    Kompressor SS /slosh30
    tt sport /525 mag

Comment

Sounds lovely. Very detailed instructions. I think I will definitely try this one. Thanks for posting.
      2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Comment

To much hassle for me hopefully fish and chips tomorrow when I venture out tonight

Comment

Working...
        X