The art of hot smoking fishI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The art of hot smoking fishI

First of all we are no artists, just keen amateurs, but smoking is really easy. We have smoked Mackerel and Cod and both have been lovely.

You can make yourself brine with water, sea salt(do not use iodized salt), brown sugar, garlic and ginger, or you can add soy sauce, or anything you like really. If you do this soak the fillets in the brine overnight in the fridge before smoking. We have tried this method which works great, but usually we just bung them on fresh.

The smoking process is pretty easy and smokers are fairly cheap these days in DIY stores, or you can make your own from a calor gas bottle, an old metal bread bin or any metal container really, if unlike me, you are good with your hands. We were lucky and a friend made one for us from an old calor gas battle.

There are a few ways to create the smoke, but this is what we do. Get yourself some charcoals and spread them evenly over your smoker(not in a pyramid as you may do with a BBQ). screw up newspaper(like you used to do to light the fire at home) and light the paper. Do not use briquettes, as they are soaked in petrol and will ruin the taste of the fish. Once the charcoals are about halfway to becoming white hot, add the wood chips to the flames. We use Johnny Walker wood chips which are about £6 for a small bag that should do 4 smokes. You can also just get ordinary wood chips and soak them in whisky or rum, experimenting until you find what you like best is part of the fun. Once the charcoals are white hot, place the fillets, skin side down, on the smoker, close the lid and leave for about 15 minutes, you can check the fillets if you like, the smoke quickly builds up again. Soon you will have your smoked fillets.

The fillets should look something like this after smoking. If you have soaked them in brine, you will get a brown covering on the fillets.

I am sure there are more complicated ways of smoking fish, but the above method is quick, easy and seems to work a treat.

Fresh smoked fish is amazing and Mackerel can be eaten hot off the smoker, or cold the next day. We often take the cold fillets the next day and make smoked mackerel pate. Again there are many recipes for pate, but this simple one works for us.

Ingredients : Smoked mackerel, creme fresh, onion, sea salt, black pepper, garlic cloves, chilli flakes.

Method : Chop the onion and garlic cloves, take 4 parts mackerel to 1 part creme fresh, add the sea salt garlic and chilli flakes, put everything in a bowl and mash them all up, or put all ingredients in a blender if you are posh!

Hope the above is of interest.

PS Don't forget the cold beer/wine while you wait for the fish to smoke!
    Last edited by kayos; 21-08-2015, 07:35 AM.
    2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

sounds good.

just a point about the calor gas cylinder, I would think you would need to make sure it was properly purged before starting to cut it up and make the smoker otherwise yer might find yerself being smoked

Comment

Originally posted by g.ordon View Post
      sounds good.

just a point about the calor gas cylinder, I would think you would need to make sure it was properly purged before starting to cut it up and make the smoker otherwise yer might find yerself being smoked
      Absolutely Gordon!

Comment

love the gas bottle idea mate ,,,,what did you cut it with a grinder or torch? im going to have a go at copying that

Comment

Originally posted by wild321 View Post
          love the gas bottle idea mate ,,,,what did you cut it with a grinder or torch? im going to have a go at copying that
          It was a grinder. I can't take the credit for it though, a friend made it for me.

However if you do make one, like Gordon says, make sure the bottle is properly purged!
          Last edited by kayos; 29-08-2015, 01:35 PM.

Comment

smoker

how do you purge the gas bottle

Comment

Well I am a technophobe so someone did it for me. I'm sure if you google it you will find out how. I imagine strip the valve off and fill it with water or some other liquid and leave it for a couple of days, but don't quote me!!

Comment

it works then kayos.....!

Comment

It sure does Davey, thanks so much!

Comment

I need to invest in a cold smoker, for some reason Mrs B won't touch the fresh cod I bring home but enjoys smoked cod.

I just paid £10.50 for one fillet, admittedly it's probably from a good 7-8lb fish but seems a lot when I give bags full of prime cod away.
                    Cheers, Keith.

Comment

Why a cold smoker? Not that I know much about them(or hot for that matter!) but apparently it takes 5-8hrs.

Comment

Originally posted by kayos View Post
                        Why a cold smoker? Not that I know much about them(or hot for that matter!) but apparently it takes 5-8hrs.
                        .i gather thats how you smoke fish properly,ps,like you dont know much about them,think ive mentioned it before,just grill our mackeral.

Comment

Originally posted by kayos View Post
                          Cold smoking doesn't cook the fish - hot smoking does.

Gary
                          ....fishin' accomplished......

Whitley Bay Angling Society
                          on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/whitleybayanglingsoc/

Comment

Originally posted by g-force View Post
                            Cold smoking doesn't cook the fish - hot smoking does.

Gary
                            haway than gary {had a few can for a change},what does cold smoking do?.

Comment

Originally posted by regpude View Post
                              haway than gary {had a few can for a change},what does cold smoking do?.
                              Cold smoking just imparts the flavour Reg - think smoked haddock etc (not that horrible dyed-yellow stuff though!) which you can then poach or cook in whatever manner you like. You can also vary the intensity of the smoky flavour with a cold smoke. The hot smoking cooks the fish at the same time (more like steaming, but with smoke) so is a quicker, all-in-one method.

Gary
                              ....fishin' accomplished......

Whitley Bay Angling Society
                              on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/whitleybayanglingsoc/

Comment

Working...
                              X