macky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• macky

When bait fishing, sometimes when reeling in I get hit by a canny macky. To date I just throw them back in but I know wor lass would like macky so I thought the next time at the end of a sesh if I get hit by a one I'll keep it as it will be super fresh when I get back home. So my question is what's the best way to prepare and cook a one.

tandoori with loads of lemon and wrap it in foil then bbq it

Comment

Just about my favourite way is Mackerel marinated in ginger sauce & deep fried. You'll need a bottle of Sake (you can usually find it in the world foods section of good supermarkets, or any asian one) some good, dark soy sauce (Kikkoman's is far & away the best!). You'll also want about a one inch piece of fresh ginger, & some potato starch (or cornflour).

For the marinade, combine 4 tablespoons of sake, 3 tablespoons of soy sauce & the piece of ginger, peeled & finely grated.

Remove all the bones from your mackerel fillets (including all the little pin-bones along the lateral line; I usually cut them all out in one go by carefully removing a narrow strip of flesh the length of the fillet). Cut the mackerel crosswise, but don't cut straight down - place the blade of your knife at about 30 degrees & cut into pieces about half an inch thick. Lay the pieces flat in a shallow dish/plate & pour the marinade over them and set aside for about 15 minutes.

Then drain the pieces (but keeping as much of the ginger pieces on as you can) and dredge them in the potato starch or cornflour. Heat some oil in a deep fryer or wok to about 160 degrees C and slide in the pieces and cook a few at a time for about 2 minutes, turning 2 or 3 times whilst cooking. Drain well on a wire rack & serve hot with wedges of lemon. Be careful not to overcook or the fish will get dry, but the pieces should be super crispy in a light, snowy batter. This recipe is particularly good if your mackerel isn't super fresh as the ginger will revive it.

Well tasty!! Particularly if you proceed to drink the rest of the sake as well.........

Gary
      ....fishin' accomplished......

Whitley Bay Angling Society
      on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/whitleybayanglingsoc/

Comment

Originally posted by g.ordon View Post
        When bait fishing, sometimes when reeling in I get hit by a canny macky. To date I just throw them back in but I know wor lass would like macky so I thought the next time at the end of a sesh if I get hit by a one I'll keep it as it will be super fresh when I get back home. So my question is what's the best way to prepare and cook a one.
        hi gordon, as maki have a more stronger unique taste i
        simply lightly grill, microwave or fry in very litle oil and
        again do not over cook

if you go on wsf site there are loads of maki recipes on makki, and one i tried was with a few herb, spices with maki scrambled egg toast it was booooooootiful

and as there are usully loads of maki to be taken, just use imagination and experiment for example maki fishcakes , on a nice bed of basamati rice, or dipped in a marinade of lemon juice grlic and runny syrup lightly fried

Comment

i am a great fan of rolled mop herring lads and have saved the juices from it when ive eaten them in glass jars,ive had some sucsess pickling fresh mackerel fillets in those juices.if you want to make up your own pickling liquid just get some white vinegar,add a few fresh gherkins,some very finely chopped challottes,some grated nutmeg,a touch of paprika and bung the fillets in an old glass jar,leave it in the cupboard for a bit and let the pickleing begin,its lovely with mayo and crusty bread
          sometimes i sits and thinks,but thinks better whilst sitting on a rock fishing

Comment

Originally posted by g-force View Post
            Just about my favourite way is Mackerel marinated in ginger sauce & deep fried. You'll need a bottle of Sake (you can usually find it in the world foods section of good supermarkets, or any asian one) some good, dark soy sauce (Kikkoman's is far & away the best!). You'll also want about a one inch piece of fresh ginger, & some potato starch (or cornflour).

For the marinade, combine 4 tablespoons of sake, 3 tablespoons of soy sauce & the piece of ginger, peeled & finely grated.

Remove all the bones from your mackerel fillets (including all the little pin-bones along the lateral line; I usually cut them all out in one go by carefully removing a narrow strip of flesh the length of the fillet). Cut the mackerel crosswise, but don't cut straight down - place the blade of your knife at about 30 degrees & cut into pieces about half an inch thick. Lay the pieces flat in a shallow dish/plate & pour the marinade over them and set aside for about 15 minutes.

Then drain the pieces (but keeping as much of the ginger pieces on as you can) and dredge them in the potato starch or cornflour. Heat some oil in a deep fryer or wok to about 160 degrees C and slide in the pieces and cook a few at a time for about 2 minutes, turning 2 or 3 times whilst cooking. Drain well on a wire rack & serve hot with wedges of lemon. Be careful not to overcook or the fish will get dry, but the pieces should be super crispy in a light, snowy batter. This recipe is particularly good if your mackerel isn't super fresh as the ginger will revive it.

Well tasty!! Particularly if you proceed to drink the rest of the sake as well.........

Gary
            What a recipe!!

Cheers all, seems like the macky is a canny exotic fish like

Comment

Hello, g-force (Gary) that sounds a fantastic way to cook mackerel. I'm going to try that for sure.
              I take the pin bones out of my fish the way you describe, it's much easier isn't it.

I mix some mustard powder with seasoned flour in a plastic bag and drop the fillets in and shake it up, then shallow fry them. Sometimes add some chilli flakes too.

Regards Ian

Comment

Great choices there. I usually just season with sea salt, black pepper, sometimes chilli flakes. Shallow fry in hot oil, skin side down first for 2 mins, turn for 1 minute

A couple of weeks ago, we caught a lot, so Lynn baked the fillets in tin foil. When cool, she added juice of half a lemon, salt pepper, garlic, cream cheese, spring onion. Mixed in a bowl and we had beautiful mackerel pate and so easy! No measurements of ingredients, just to taste.

Serve on warm toast, side salad and cold white wine.
                Last edited by kayos; 21-06-2012, 07:58 PM.
                2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Comment

This is better than that guy on the telly, Rick Stein

Comment

I like mine similar to Kayos !
                    First de-bone the fillets wash with cold water then season with sea salt and cracked pepper.
                    Melt some butter in a frying pan and dip both sides of each fillet into it, fry flesh side down for 3 mins or until golden, then skin side for 3 mins.
                    Chuck the lot onto a big slice of tiger bread and wash it down with a couple of bottles of Stella!
                    Stay safe!
                    Enjoy your fishing!
                    Take your rubbish home!
                    Rocker.

Comment

lads, years ago me mam used to make maceral pate, we used to spread it on toast, bring`s back memorie`s,
                      anyway, she`s long gone, but a would love to make that pate,
                      any help please........?

Comment

250g packet smoked mackerel fillets
                        250g soft cheese
                        1 tbsp horseradish sauce
                        2 lemons, 1 juiced and 1 cut into wedges
                        1 tbsp chopped chives
                        Sliced wholemeal bread
                        Drizzle of olive oil
                        Method

Remove the skin from the mackerel and break the flesh into chunks. Place the flaked fish in a food processor with the cheese, horseradish sauce, and lemon juice. Blend into a smooth paste. Season with salt and pepper.

Remove the crusts from the bread and use a rolling pin to flatten the slices. Cut into evenly shaped portions. Drizzle with olive oil, and grill on both sides until golden.

Serve with wedges of lemon and chopped chives.

Got this online. I suppose there's no reason why you couldn't use fresh mackeral. You can also use creme fresh instead of soft cheese. Thought it might help bring some memories back for you
                        Regards Nicky.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

Comment

thanks very much m8

bet you can`t guess what av been making.....!

cheers davey.

Comment

pier chav cooked mackerel

1.target mackerel with 12 feather setup(2 sets joined together)
                            2.take break quench thirst with can of lager
                            3.see,s bloke pull in mackerel
                            4.whilst bloke takes mackerel off chav jumps in spot
                            5.chav hits mackerel whilst pulling in 10 other lines
                            6.lay mackerel on the ground whilst fishing
                            7.cook in sun for one hour
                            8.eat mackerel washed down with another 8 lagers
                            9.brag to other anglers how many you caught
                            10.then on the way off dump them by the gate

Panel Pin Champ

Comment

that`s a posh one trev,
                              the chav`s where we go drink cheap cider not lager......!

Comment

Working...
                              X