Freezing Mackerel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezing Mackerel

Does it keep for eating as well if frozen?

Have enjoyed fresh quite often this summer and would love to continue chomping over the cooler months...any ideas?
    Ooh a new vid!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
    I AGREE

it goes to mush pretty quick tony,i guess blast freezing would help,or perhaps theres some way of pre-freeze preparation that helps or perhaps part cooking before freezing
    AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

Had this conversation recently as I wanted to do the same. Have been told you should lightly salt them first, then freezer bag individually. I have done that, so will take one out soon and see if it works. Keep you posted.
      2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Comment

side filleted first and induvidually rap tight with cling film ,when taking out to defrost for fishing its still nice and firm when defrosted
        Panel Pin Champ

Comment

Originally posted by codseeker View Post
          side filleted first and induvidually rap tight with cling film ,when taking out to defrost for fishing its still nice and firm when defrosted
          Aye agree way aye do mine
          Cod can only juge me if am a haddock https://www.facebook.com/groups/141034916010629/

Comment

maki

Originally posted by codseeker View Post
            yeh thats how i do them but a find it helps if you can put some baking trays in to freezer the night before then put maki on them it seems t help feeze them so much quicker

Comment

Just get some fresh from asda or Morrisons

Comment

Originally posted by Darnc View Post
                Just get some fresh from asda or Morrisons
                They don't sell FRESH fish
                Cheers, Keith.

Comment

Hey Tony, there are a few things you can do to improve the quality of your frozen mackerel. Firstly, make sure any that you catch go straight into some sort of coolbox or bag; there's an old saying that "mackerel is the only fish that starts to go off before it's dead" so it's important that it's kept as cold as possible until you clean & fillet it, which you want to do as soon as you can.

Then pat dry your fillets on kitchen paper to remove as much surface moisture as possible - this will help the cling film "cling" to the fillets, which I wrap tightly as lads have described above. You could try salting the fillets first - 30 minutes will do (see my post on marinating mackerel for how to do it), but rinse off the salt & pat dry before wrapping.

Next thing is to freeze them as fast as possible. If your freezer has a "fast freeze" setting, use it. Metal trays etc. placed in the freezer first are good, but I've found the best thing are the freeze-blocks that go in my cool box. I lay a few of them flat on one shelf of my freezer, then lay the wrapped fillets on top of them (I do the same with my frozen crab) - they really seem to get stuff frozen down double quick!

Lastly, don't try & keep them for too long; they'll be spot on for a month or two, but I wouldn't go longer than three months for any frozen fish. I've eaten a few frozen fillets this summer (in between catching some more fresh) that have been frozen for 3 or 4 weeks, which have been indistinguishable from fresh when thawed. So the end of season mackerel that I catch will have been eaten by Xmas - any that are left by then are relegated to the bait freezer.

Gary
                  ....fishin' accomplished......

Whitley Bay Angling Society
                  on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/whitleybayanglingsoc/

Comment

Originally posted by g-force View Post
                    Hey Tony, there are a few things you can do to improve the quality of your frozen mackerel. Firstly, make sure any that you catch go straight into some sort of coolbox or bag; there's an old saying that "mackerel is the only fish that starts to go off before it's dead" so it's important that it's kept as cold as possible until you clean & fillet it, which you want to do as soon as you can.

Then pat dry your fillets on kitchen paper to remove as much surface moisture as possible - this will help the cling film "cling" to the fillets, which I wrap tightly as lads have described above. You could try salting the fillets first - 30 minutes will do (see my post on marinating mackerel for how to do it), but rinse off the salt & pat dry before wrapping.

Next thing is to freeze them as fast as possible. If your freezer has a "fast freeze" setting, use it. Metal trays etc. placed in the freezer first are good, but I've found the best thing are the freeze-blocks that go in my cool box. I lay a few of them flat on one shelf of my freezer, then lay the wrapped fillets on top of them (I do the same with my frozen crab) - they really seem to get stuff frozen down double quick!

Lastly, don't try & keep them for too long; they'll be spot on for a month or two, but I wouldn't go longer than three months for any frozen fish. I've eaten a few frozen fillets this summer (in between catching some more fresh) that have been frozen for 3 or 4 weeks, which have been indistinguishable from fresh when thawed. So the end of season mackerel that I catch will have been eaten by Xmas - any that are left by then are relegated to the bait freezer.

Gary
                    Good advice Gary, wish you had posted it before I froze my Mackerel, as I didn't rinse salt off! Ooops

Comment

Originally posted by KeithB View Post
                      They don't sell FRESH fish
                      how right you are keith
                      AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

Tony,

Probably worth having a good coolbox on board well stacked with Ice specifically for this reason

next seasons first "must get" listed item

something like this but packed with Ice boxes Easy Camp 24L Litre Capacity Electrical Coolbox 240V AC & 12V DC Cool Box 5709388032683 | eBay

and of course it doubles for the white wine, iced lager and cold canapes

norm
                        ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                        . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
                        ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Norman View Post
                          Tony,

Probably worth having a good coolbox on board well stacked with Ice specifically for this reason

next seasons first "must get" listed item

something like this but packed with Ice boxes Easy Camp 24L Litre Capacity Electrical Coolbox 240V AC & 12V DC Cool Box 5709388032683 | eBay

and of course it doubles for the white wine, iced lager and cold canapes

norm
                          Oooh nice. Can we come out with you next summer please!?

Comment

you have to come dressed for the occasion mark ......

norm
                            ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                            . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
                            ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Norman View Post
                              you have to come dressed for the occasion mark ......

norm
                              pmsl that get-up wont look good with pink crocs
                              AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

Working...
                              X