Anyone tried smoking Trout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone tried smoking Trout?

Thinking of buying one of those small smokers and would be gratefull of any recomendations and honest opinions of them

Thanks in advance guys

tend to need 2 or 3 king size papers for each fillet, can be a bugger to light though!

assuming you mean ones that are like

they are all much of a muchness really and a doddle to use. great for trout if you are wanting to eat stockie/stillwater fish as they usually taste like ****e on their. get some mackeral fillets in one and you are into a different league altogether

really simple to use, only thing I would say is don't be tempted to overdo the sawdust/woodchips. you only need a tiny amount, I use maybe 2 level teaspoons tops, one each end and 2 bog standard firelighters under each sprinkling of woodchips. by the time the firelighters have burnt out it will have heated the inside of the smoker enough to cook and smoke the fish thoroughly. maybe 10 minutes
    ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
    Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

Yes thats the ones I mean , Thanks for the advice Mark , and very witty on the tab papers

Comment

trout

Last edited by d-a; 04-05-2013, 07:50 AM.
        old anglers never die -they just smell that way

Comment

Nice tip about using the fire lighters, I have only used meths upto now so I will give your method a try.

seddo

Comment

The best and cheapest way is to get a old tin bread bin (I've used a roses tin but there plastic now) and drill holes in it to take coat hanger wire , pass the wire through and bend the ends to hold in place on top of ya wires place a bit chicken wire to hold the fish or fillet ,put a couple of bent wires to lift it out when cooked , all you need is a fire set in a barbecue with sticks a handful of oak chips or shavings in the bottom and the fish in the tin with lid on and sit on the fire for 5 mins depending on fish size.
            5mins does for mackerel fillets also lightly oil the wire to prevent sticking and put skin down . Tip for mackerel fillets , salt for 1/2 hour then rinse and dry with kitchen paper , the smoke adheres better .
            I've done chicken fillets ( which are great on a saled) and boiled eggs shelled and put in for 4 mins ( great in egg mayo )
            Hope this helps and if you need some oak chips I have a sack full , ya welcome to experiment with some
            Have fun , Paul
            I am a fisherman !
            It is not merely something that I do
            It is who I am !
            Fishing is not simply my escape.
            It is where I am supposed to be.
            It is not a place that I go
            But a lifelong journey that I am taking
            It is a passage that was shown to me and that I will continue to show others.
            When you understand all of this you will then know me .
            And we will fish together

Comment

Thanks Paul

That helps with some ideas i can mull around

Comment

If you don't want to make your own, Clas Ohlson have an Abu smoker in for £30.... Snaggeduplad (Carl) has posted a sticky thread so you can get 10% off aswell....

I have never tried smoking trout but I have bought smoked rainbow trout from Asda and it was lush!!
                "In order to becomes old and wise, first you must be young and stupid."

PB. Ling - 12lb 6oz. Cod - 11lb 6oz, Coley - 3lb 6oz, Pollock - 4lb 1oz, Flounder - 1lb 11oz, Plaice - 1lb 10oz, Whiting 1lb 9oz.

North east bass fishing addict.
                PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

Have a google and see what marinades you can use, a marinaded trout fillet can taste really yummy.
                  Marinade as per instructions then smoke your fish for about 7 mins and that should do the trick.

seddo

Comment

i fined them a bit hard to rol mate

Comment

Comment

Smoking trout and bass is easy and lush.
                        I uses a wok with tight lid, tea towel for the seal, and put a decent Tea and your chosen flavour in a silver foil package, light it and blow it out.
                        Stand trout etc above it and put on heat for 10 to 15 mins
                        , lovely smoked fish dish.

Comment

Working...
                        X