backcasting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backcasting

I've recently just started backcasting for no other reason than I find it easier than pendulum casting in terms of timing and getting a cast away smoothly. At the moment I am casting with a fixed spool low down as I'm using braid and I'm not that confident with it on a multiplier even though I've used them all my life.
    Anyway I've been doing some reading up on it, watching vids and of course practicing. I'm right handed and a lot of people say that you should come over your left shoulder, controlling the reel with my right hand but this feels completely alien to me, I've tried, I have much more control and I'm able to dial in power easily coming over my right shoulder, controlling the reel with my left hand.
    Is this gospel or do you just do what feels right ?
    Regards Nicky.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

i m sure you'll get a better answer from someone else. . i backcast for fishing sometimes when required. whatever feels right and whichever gets u further mate. if i use the fixed spool reel down its coupled with a thumbbutton but nowadays tend to use multipliers and only use fixed spool with braid on the lighter gear. good luck .i m right handed n use my left hand to control the rod.
    Punch and pull then let rip

NESA Lure Fishing Challenge 2011 Winner

UK species : Cod, Whiting, Poor Cod, Whiting, Mackerel, Coalie, Pollack, Rockling, Bass, Plaice, Flounder, Dab, Grannylasher, Pouting, Launce, Weaver, Sandeel, Ballan wrasse. eelpout

Global species: jewfish/big eye croaker,catfish(Sagor/African/Silver), whip ray, snapper, grouper, pufferfish,threadfin, trevally,stingray, mangrove shark, flowerhorn,

2014 combo:
    Kompressor SS /slosh30
    tt sport /525 mag

Comment

Thanks for the reply mate. I'm right handed as I've said but control the rod with my right hand and come over my right shoulder. Coming over my left shoulder with my left arm just isn't right but it's said that's what shoulder you should come over when your right handed. Unless I've interpreted it wrong lol
      Regards Nicky.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

Comment

Originally posted by topbanana View Post
        Thanks for the reply mate. I'm right handed as I've said but control the rod with my right hand and come over my right shoulder. Coming over my left shoulder with my left arm just isn't right but it's said that's what shoulder you should come over when your right handed. Unless I've interpreted it wrong lol
        Message aaron scaley on here really good back caster mate

Comment

Originally posted by topbanana View Post
          Im right handed and backcast over my left shoulder I can do it over my right shoulder but the left seems more comfortable , its entirely up to yourself , whatever feels right . Ive had distances over 220m over the left but maybe 20m down over the right .
          Bob

NORTH EAST SURFCASTING ASSOCIATION

Comment

I'm no expert backcaster but to me its a pulling action. If holding the top of the rod with the right arm your pulling the rod over your right shoulder, by doing this your using your back and leg muscles. I stand to be corrected however! As Bob says whatever works and feels right, casting is different for everyone.

Comment

arran is the young man to ask he is awesome
              Rodbuilding & rod repairs

Comment

Thanks for the replies and help chaps.
                Regards Nicky.

Comment

imagine the rod as a shovel and your are throwing soil over your shoulder ..... which ever way you do that then that's the way you should be back casting, i'm right handed and use the right hand to hold the reel and the left holds the top of my rod .... drop me a pm if you need any help, arran

Comment

also sent you a pm topbanna

Comment

Originally posted by scaley View Post
                      imagine the rod as a shovel and your are throwing soil over your shoulder ..... which ever way you do that then that's the way you should be back casting, i'm right handed and use the right hand to hold the reel and the left holds the top of my rod .... drop me a pm if you need any help, arran
                      Im right handed but would use my left hand to control the reel, just the same as cating reel down pendulum.

Using it the way you do would be like casting left handed. My right arm has been trained over the years to do the tossing!

Comment

if your right handed you pull with your left in a pendulum, and in a back cast you should pull with your left your body does the work

Comment

Working...
                        X