Just Curious?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Curious?????

I am curious to know what rods you guys use for casting purposes?

Are they special manufacturerd rods or just the standard Century, zippies etc avaialble form most shops.
    Wishing I was Fishing...............

Standard rods, reels can be 'tweeked' a bit for braking but nothing you could not fish with.

HT
    ~~Level 2 Sea Angling Coach~~
    The Internet Sea Fishing Magazine
    www.planetseafishing.com

Comment

Thats what I thought, but armed with a 14ft WR300, 13ft WR300 an old Century Vectra Grand Prix and a Reelsport Long Beech, I'm wondering if these are suitable for achieving the distances.

Also with SL20SHV's, SL30SHV's, Penn 525, penn 525 supermag and ABU 6500 CT for every day fishing reels are any of these suitable?

Comment

Hi M8 im from your area and looking to get back into casting myself. Your rods will all do the job and are more than adequate for casting 125gr to 175gr.

As for reels a 6500 ct or 5500 ct is about all you need. You may wish to mag these though.

Comment

Originally posted by tubbie2shoes View Post
          ... but armed with a 14ft WR300, 13ft WR300 an old Century Vectra Grand Prix and a Reelsport Long Beech, I'm wondering if these are suitable for achieving the distances...
          Not wanting to sound cheeky here, but... the tackle does not cast the distance, its the man behind it; without a sound technique it does not matter what you use. All the gear listed is very capable in the right hands.
          HT
          www.planetseafishing.com

Comment

Haggis_tosser. Don't worry you won't offend me, however if big Danny M. tried casting with a 12ft diawa moonraker and a £25 reel with a level wind then I bet he would not achieve any where near the distances he gets currently with whatever rod, reel and line he uses.

However,I am deliberating as to whether or not tournament casting is something worth pursuing during the summer months. I dont want to fork out money for new gear, so I want to be able use my existing gear albeit requiring a few tweaks. I think concentrating on distance casting during the summer months will help my distance during normal fishing during the winter.

I posted the question to see if the regular tournament casters would simply list the type of gear they use. but it didn't?

Chukka - where did you use to practice? and what distances were you getting? and what set up were you using?

Comment

You have a pm!

Comment

In my opinion tournament casting will pay off when on the beach and you have gained those extra yards, as you will be able to cover more ground if required. You will also have a sound technique and not (hopefully) get overruns etc. No need for new gear, just use your fishing gear, if you become hooked (no pun intended) then you can modify a reel, but there is no need realy.

"I posted the question to see if the regular tournament casters would simply list the type of gear they use. but it didn't?" >>> Century TT-R / Zziplex LT Bullet and mix of Abu 6500 & 5500, some with QTC cages some without. All reels modified with a single rare earth magnet only fitted. My favourite reel is still my original 6500 which used to be my fishing 6500!
                HT
                www.planetseafishing.com

Comment

Working...
                X