acetone for bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• acetone for bearings

has anybody used this to clean bearings would of thought if races are plastic which they can be. would the acetone melt the plastic.

just a another useless thread
    did you know panel pins comes in diff sizes ?

john the best thing to use for your bearings is grease no m8 try muc off its what they use to degrease disc brakes leaves the bearings bone dry and does not leave any residue in the bearings get it from motorist discount or halfrods they also use it to clean discs on cycles.

Comment

John,

"Stain Devils" that stuff you get to remove various stains (stop tittering you lot) do one which includes acetone and they com in plastic bottles.
      aka "Frodo Baggins"

Comment

yes bazz i can remember you on about that stuff before yes very good but you have to be carefull with ceramics some of them have plastic races. i dont need owt in my bearings they dont run that fast anyway.

Comment

it doesent effect plastics or rubber john thats why they can use it on brake discs specialy designed for that purpose

Comment

hi bazzzzzzzzzz are you on about that smelly stuff that means i would have to buy that

Comment

youre getting to be a right tight arse in your old age

Comment

pardon if owt my arse has been a bit loose if out

Comment

SO THATS WHY WE HAVENT SEEN YOU AT THE OCHE YOUR ARSE HAS FELL OUT

Comment

Bearing cleaning.

Hi John,
                    I'm not sure about acetone, I've worked on flux tanks for soldering electrical contacts and they used an acetone solution for thinning the flux and whilst it certainly cleans muck and grease it also melted the handles on my pliers and screwdrivers.
                    Good old lighter fuel works well, (I used a couple of small jam pots, one dirty and one clean), but I've found that these solvent cleaners from R.S. Components work very well, they come in aerosol cans so you blast any dirt out of your bearings, they claim to be harmless to most plastics and they evaporate quickly leaving no residue.
                    Try www.rswww.com stock numbers 101-4965 for the Ultrasolve and 180-803 for the solvent cleaner.
                    There is an R.S. Components on the Team Valley, Gateshead.
                    Hope this has been of some use,
                    Regards Ian.

Comment

hi ian have you not got any of that stuff for me yet not going to buy it am i.
                      john

ps not got me a job yet

Comment

I've just cooked up some freebase and have a little acetone left if anyone wants to come round my house for a cheesless pizza and an ear bashing and what ever I've got left.
                        "I mock thee not, though I by thee am mockéd.
                        Thou call'st me madman, but I call thee blockhead"

Comment

Lighter Fluid always works for me!
                          "And I looked, and behold'a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was death, and hell followed with hi, and power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword and with hunger, and with the beasts of the earth"

Comment

I mostly use thinners, I know where there is some stuff that is now banned from commercial use, it degreases everything including your veins!!!!
                            N.W.S.A straight outta Cockerham

Comment

on another forun i asked niel mackellow about cleaning bearings out ,he said he spent weeks with tg developing bearings already cleaned dry nothing inside he said you had to be very careful as some ceramics have plastic races and even if left in lighter fuel too long it could destroy the races,tgs comes dry and with both dust covers intact and i have been using them for alittle while now and i do rate these

Comment

Working...
                              X