Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• distance ?

i have a abu mag elite 6500 i use it with a 12ft beachcaster

what sort of casting distances should i be looking for ?

what sort of distances does everyone get and with what gear ?

be honest chaps answers in feet and inches
    cheers Bri

anglingnortheast.com

Kompressor Sport and 535.....with 30lb line and 5 oz weight

Always just used the \"overhead thump\" technique until last year, when I started practicing OTG on a local playing field.

Standing next to the goal posts at one end of the pitch, I was just about reaching the goals at the far end using the o/h thump (100yds).

After practicing the OTG for a while, I was consistently getting about 10 - 15 yds beyoned the far goalposts.

I suppose if I used lighter line I could get a bit further.....but is there REALLY any need.

That\'s OK on a field, but it\'s a different ball game when it comes to casting out a big bait.....doesn\'t \'arf reduce your distance.

Still tend to stick to the o/h thump when fishing, as there often just ain\'t the room for OTG (or the need).

[Edited on 19/8/2004 by TC]

Comment

OTG ???
      i use the overhead cast but i doubt i could class it as a thump lol more of a gentle bump my pal uses the pendulum cast ,if thats what its called ,but everyone has to back off if theres a few of us

as ive said earlier ive just started back up and on average i can say cast halfway across the river blyth ,not sure how far that is,and my rods not the best in the world,roll on xmas hehe

[Edited on 19/8/2004 by bribones]
      cheers Bri

anglingnortheast.com

Comment

Off The Ground

Comment

If you look at the results of the NWSA casting events in this section of the forums you will get a good idea of the distances that can be achieved.

I am a relative beginner to serious casting with a personal best of 174 yards with a 14ft Daiwa TDSS 140FA coupled with a Daiwa Emblem-X 5500A (fixed spool / coffee grinder/ mangle), 0.28mm diameter main line and 125 gram weight. My style (if you can call it a style) is South African off the ground. However, I have a serious flaw in the style (all right and no left arm power) which according to the experts is costing me a serious amount of yardage - but 40 years of over head thump is a hard habit to break. Jim Foy is another fixed spool user and is hitting over 207 yards with a 14 ft Century Euro and Penn Surfmaster 70. Jim and me are regular mangle users and occasionally Peter Thain and Peter Ingham will use a fixed spool (these lads regularly compete at national level events). Most of the other lads at the events appear to use multipliers with modified abu 6500 (and variants thereof) being very popular. Popular rod manufacturers are Zzipplex and Century with various models out on the field. Pendulum style casts are very popular and the regular guys are hitting up to about 240/250 yards depending on the casting weight. The pros are hitting up to some 40 yards further with regular distances around 270 yards or more.

Some of the lads are built like B.S.Hs, and some are normal size/weight. Sheer grunt isn\'t the major factor in getting the distance but, good style is.

The bottom line is that a relatively stiff rod (you don\'t want a rod which you can tie Knot in). Coupled with a standard half decent multiplier or fixed spool reel is well capable of hitting 200 yards with a standard Brighton / Uni-tech off the ground cast. When fishing and using a fully baited rig with heavier main line, the distances will drop by 10 to 20 % or more.
          aka "Frodo Baggins"

Comment

yeh ive been looking at the casting results one thing though it tells you what day there on but not where the field is lol ,i think im due a trip to the park with the old tape measure in tow
            cheers Bri

anglingnortheast.com

Comment

Often wondered myself where these \"meets\" take place,i suppose if you are a member/regular you\'ll know the crack,I do know theres some done in Stranraer from the info that was on the old NESA site,no doubt someone will inform us lol
              Cheers Alan...

Comment

this casting malarky is like rocket science lol take into account
                length and flex of rod
                type of reel
                weight to be cast inc bait
                length of trace (i think this makes a difference)
                type of cast OTG overhead pendulum etc
                weight of person doing the cast
                the weather
                also wether youve had 5 pints or not as i think you think you cast furthur when slightly pi@~ed
                cheers Bri

anglingnortheast.com

Comment

the nearest casting event is at Cockerham, near Morcombe on the west coast, They maybe a one in the north east sometime in the future if there is enough interest and if we can find a field.
                  I would suggest if you want to learn to cast, get lessons from someone who knows what they are talking about, an (overhead thump) style done properly will cast a baited trace 150yds+, anyone who is casting 50 to 100 yds can add on 50yds in a couple of hours with a good casting instructor. Its when you get over the 200yd mark that things start to get a bit harder and gains aren\'t as big.
                  Many a true word is said in jest!

Comment

Working...
                  X