intermediate level rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intermediate level rod

alreet lads , i`m looking for a rod that i can learn the ropes of distance casting on . my local tackle shop states that the powerstorm rods are capable of big distances i think i was morpheus nereus or helius. i`v had a look around and they do seem to fit my budget...i know the real good one will be century zzipys and conoflex tc but my budget unfortunately is under 100 quid. its a rod i`m looking to purchAase to learn the ropes. in fact two tackle shops i`v been to have been recomendind the 13 6 morpheus with reducer. has nayone used them and can anyone offer any commetns please. i use a penn 535 mainly with 25 pound sline plus shockleader or this shakespear multiplier i got a the car boooty for back up . mainly clipped down rigs with drags as well . cheers
    Punch and pull then let rip

NESA Lure Fishing Challenge 2011 Winner

UK species : Cod, Whiting, Poor Cod, Whiting, Mackerel, Coalie, Pollack, Rockling, Bass, Plaice, Flounder, Dab, Grannylasher, Pouting, Launce, Weaver, Sandeel, Ballan wrasse. eelpout

Global species: jewfish/big eye croaker,catfish(Sagor/African/Silver), whip ray, snapper, grouper, pufferfish,threadfin, trevally,stingray, mangrove shark, flowerhorn,

2014 combo:
    Kompressor SS /slosh30
    tt sport /525 mag

Have you thought about second hand? I learned to cast on a Century CME (which saw me over the 200 metre line) that I paid £125 for, a bit above your budget I know but if you are patient and look around something will turn up. More recently I picked up a mint Tip Tornado Sport MK 1 for £87 off fleabay, another lovely rod and like the CME great to learn on and more than capable of putting a lead 200 metres on the field.

Why are you wanting to learn to cast? I ask as your set up (Penn 535, 25lb line) is not really geared to getting any kind of distance but seems more a set-up for rough ground work. If you are wanting to learn for fishing open beaches and cleaner ground then I'd recommend spending your money first on a 6500 or 7HT size reel / 15lb line to go with your current rod and look to upgrade your rod later. Most rods (unless they are really cheap and nasty spaghetti wands) will deliver 150 metres on the field with the right technique but a heavy duty multiplier and high diameter line will kill your distance before you even start.
    CLIP IT AND WHACK IT

Comment

i did think of 2nd hand etc ...although did fancy a new one ...i have been thinking of going down in terms of say 18lb line and shockleader ...i mean i have lgoogled this powerstorm morpheus tsf gives it an alright review the main thing is i do fancy a new rod but if the right opportunity comes i will go for it ....the main thing is i was real curious to see if anyone on the casting scne has used it . i have seen quite a few lads of seaham using it for match fishing etc . cheers for ur response malcolm

UK species : Cod, Whiting, Poor Cod, Whiting, Mackerel, Coalie, Pollack, Rockling, Bass, Plaice, Flounder, Dab, Grannylasher, Pouting, Launce, Weaver, Sandeel, Ballan wrasse. eelpout

Global species: jewfish/big eye croaker,catfish(Sagor/African/Silver), whip ray, snapper, grouper, pufferfish,threadfin, trevally,stingray, mangrove shark, flowerhorn,

2014 combo:
      Kompressor SS /slosh30
      tt sport /525 mag

Comment

i am am wanting to cast to maximise potential and chances whilst fishing at the same time just wanting to improve gneral casting ability .....i have had someone mention i get a canny distance using what i have ...but they may have been taking the mickey ...just wanna you know learn more do more ......cheers guys

2014 combo:
        Kompressor SS /slosh30
        tt sport /525 mag

Comment

You mention the Seaham club - do you live that way? I'm in Durham but get over there now and again, I'd be happy to meet up and give you a casting lesson for the cost of a pint or I'm sure there are plenty of other lads in Seaham who can give you some pointers.

As for the rod I've no idea but if you know someone who has one then ask if you can have a go with it. Different rods suit different people and if you get the chance it is always a good idea to try before you buy.
          CLIP IT AND WHACK IT

Comment

might take you up on that mate....might just take u up on that ..i will pm you soon .

2014 combo:
            Kompressor SS /slosh30
            tt sport /525 mag

Comment

casting

Tucker is spot on. Get a second hand century. A good kompressor sport for 120 is a good powerful casting/mix ground rod to learn on. And any diawa 7ht with 14 - 16 lb line on will be perfect. Danny has hit 270 meters with a 7ht mag straight out the box. Its on u tube. Top casting rods are ttr, komp ss, m427, harrison p3. But they are beasts to learn on. A heavey match rod like, century ttsport, komp sport, or even a cme or all good to learn on and capable of 250 plus yards. I learned on a harrison p2 and now use a p3.

Comment

p3

Got a p3 for ya

Comment

Working...
                X