Reels for Tournament Casting / light fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reels for Tournament Casting / light fishing

Advice, Can you tell me what you have found best out of the diawa 7ht and abu 6500 range for Tournament / distance casting and fishing.

I mainly use penn 525 mags for fishing and have an older abu 6500 blue ct elite in mint condition but want to upgrade it to something new this summer but dont want to buy something i have already got.

Cheers
    Davey.

reel

Im using a diawa 7ht mag for tourny casting. They are widly used now they are better for 175-200g casts but the chuck 150g fine. They are good straight out the box for fishing distance but for tourny just add a washer to the collar and it makes them ready for your first comp. There are a few other mods you can do which involves taking spacer out of magnet side bearing and drilling holes in centrifugal blocks. But im happy with the washer in the collar

Comment

Originally posted by Piscatorial Pirate View Post
      Advice, Can you tell me what you have found best out of the diawa 7ht and abu 6500 range for Tournament / distance casting and fishing.

I mainly use penn 525 mags for fishing and have an older abu 6500 blue ct elite in mint condition but want to upgrade it to something new this summer but dont want to buy something i have already got.

Cheers
      Davey.
      For field work just fit your 6500 Elite with a mag conversion ( either centre or mono mag , QTC ,Chris Macey and Blackdog tackle all do good ones ) clean and oil the bearings , fill with 0.31mm /0.35mm line 0.75mm shockleader and your ready .
      For distance fishing I prefer my 7ht mags over my green mag elites ( never thought id say that !!!) but for the field its abus especially in the 5500 sizes for 100/125 even 150 gram work .
      Last edited by arc; 18-03-2011, 10:54 PM.
      Bob

NORTH EAST SURFCASTING ASSOCIATION

Comment

I posted a while ago whether there was much advantage of a 7ht mag over a turbo as I was thinking about getting the former and already use the turbo and someone replied (think he was a tourney caster) that they were both similar for casting ability. Not a tourney caster myself, and never will be but the point I'm trying to make is why spend the extra for a mag if not necessary! I was on the verge of getting the mag but didn't bother after I got the reply to my post.

Comment

Originally posted by g.ordon View Post
          I posted a while ago whether there was much advantage of a 7ht mag over a turbo as I was thinking about getting the former and already use the turbo and someone replied (think he was a tourney caster) that they were both similar for casting ability. Not a tourney caster myself, and never will be but the point I'm trying to make is why spend the extra for a mag if not necessary! I was on the verge of getting the mag but didn't bother after I got the reply to my post.
          Ive never had the turbo but I do have 2 black 7ht originals and I feel the mag version is more versatile in a fishing situation as it is easier to set up a level of control via the mags for either punching a bait into the wind or after maximum distance with a tail wind .
          I think you will find that most of the turbos when used on the field have had a mag unit fitted .
          Bob

NORTH EAST SURFCASTING ASSOCIATION

Comment

Originally posted by arc View Post
            Ive never had the turbo but I do have 2 black 7ht originals and I feel the mag version is more versatile in a fishing situation as it is easier to set up a level of control via the mags for either punching a bait into the wind or after maximum distance with a tail wind .
            I think you will find that most of the turbos when used on the field have had a mag unit fitted .
            Cheers for the info Bob

Comment

hi davey, the thing about the 7ht mag in the fishing perspective is the 5.8 retrieve.

john
              did you know panel pins comes in diff sizes ?

Comment

Tunning my 6500 ct c3 elite

So far i have the brass bullet and set of abec 7 bearings (not in the reel yet)

I am after an 6500 abu ct c3 left hand side plate (blue) to drill into.

I need to know what mag conversion kit to buy at a good price.

Cheers
                Dave

Comment

hello mate, a use the blackdog monomags on my reels and a would swear by them, think they about £19 if a remember rightly and ya get the fitting instructions with them, drill an 8mm hole job done
                  www.akiosfishingtackle.com

www.rhinopower.co.uk
                  "RHINO POWER"
                  SUPPORT TEAM ENGLAND@ smartrig.webs.com

Comment

Originally posted by Piscatorial Pirate View Post
                    So far i have the brass bullet and set of abec 7 bearings (not in the reel yet)

I am after an 6500 abu ct c3 left hand side plate (blue) to drill into.

I need to know what mag conversion kit to buy at a good price.

Cheers
                    Dave
                    as jay says blackdog as good as anywere had them off him myself very helpful pleasant guy and fast delivery.

sideplate he may possibly have one of these if not plenty on ebay.
                    did you know panel pins comes in diff sizes ?

Comment

Should the mono mag sit underneath the lip of the spool when fully tighted as the one i have when fully tightened it hits the edge of the inside of the spool ?

Comment

Working...
                      X