Few chucks today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Few chucks today

Went out for a few practice chucks today as i've been trying to improve my casting over the past few weeks

Ended up having a right nightmare of a time...

Went to NETS first for new line got a spool of 18lb 0.35mm Sakuma Nite Crystal

So i spooled my 6500ct powerhandle up on the prom, tied on a 70lb ultima powerflex leader and had a few gentle chucks to get used to the line and see how reel was dealing with it... everything going smooth so i step it up a gear and try a decent OTG cast - cast went great - fantastic distance, line didnt lift all spot on.... good stopped my recording on my phone and go to reel in.... stuck in the water , so i started to pull the line with me hand as was weel and truely in there - no joy, put som egood effort in.... slip line slices through me finger about 3mm deep.... ouch and then it has the cheek to snap finally about 30ft away from where i was holding it (damn that new shockleader knot being too strong) so theres half a spool of brand new line gone! Sickener!

So, swap reels from abu to my 525 mag xtra lined with 20lbs berkley xts and 70lb shocker - good cast but not enough line ran out of line mid air... thats nee good..

So back to reespooling the 6500, again!

All spooled up i move down the prom out of the way of the rocky bit... so im casting one or 2 good casts... few decent ones recorded on me phone then i chuck out a cast - seemed like a good one too.... got a little bit out - 20yrds or so and bang - my good old freind mr krakov! luckily this time only a little line lost, no biggie.... at this point im all out of 175g leads and now only a 150g (2 snagged up one crack-off) so i tie on new shocker gentle lobs to sort me line out make sure all ok - looks good

Had 2 good casts then recorded one last vid - and it seemed to be my best of the day so i left it at that - on a high note!

The Rod is Greys Platinum GSI 14ft and reel used was Abu 6500CT Power handle with upgraded to ABEC3 bearings (no mags)

Anyway, heres the vids (adding as they upload)

Think this was the last cast!

Say hello to mr krakov

Arms arent straight enough on this one

All comments, advice and feedback welcome - good and bad
    Last edited by lambengland; 17-02-2012, 01:33 AM.

Few chucks today

Davey you can't cast for ****.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Davey-m; 16-02-2012, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Keep practicing and you might be as good as danny one day --->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uauuAtnzN1c
      Last edited by shaun; 17-02-2012, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Davey-m View Post
        Davey you can't cast for ****.
        Dont talk so wet you haha

Comment

Originally posted by shaun View Post
          Keep practicing and you might be as good as danny one day --->kompressor ss - YouTube
          Or me... when am in the zone
          South Shields & District SAC

Comment

Originally posted by shaun View Post
            Keep practicing and you might be as good as danny one day --->kompressor ss - YouTube
            link doesn't work shaun whoooops..................

Comment

did you hit any lamp posts today????
              Rod building.................

Comment

Originally posted by adam123 View Post
                link doesn't work shaun whoooops..................
                Spoilsport

Comment

Originally posted by PRIMO MAN View Post
                  Almost... i'll post that one up in a sec.... stair railings :P

Comment

Originally posted by lambengland View Post
                    Almost... i'll post that one up in a sec.... stair railings :P
                    have you been getting lessons of john in how i catch things when casting???
                    Rod building.................

Comment

no marra, he uses pie tins as beads... i dont do that lol... you probably havnt heard that one yet.... almost knocked himself out cos the bit of pie tin he used as a stopper bead sliced the line and it went up and straight down.... skimmed his hat lol

Comment

keep it up mate cos you got a good strong hit & we all have bad days, ya might need to tame your reel down a touch but just keep at it
                        www.akiosfishingtackle.com

www.rhinopower.co.uk
                        "RHINO POWER"
                        SUPPORT TEAM ENGLAND@ smartrig.webs.com

Comment

thanks

yeah the reel really needs magging to be any kind of tame imo but i cant decide wether to spend money magging this or to wait and get a better reel to mag (7ht or a better model 6500)

I'm really wantig to try a 7ht i think they look to sit better on the rod.... but then again 6500's are so versatile

Comment

Heres my advice/help matey...

Originally posted by lambengland View Post
                            thanks

yeah the reel really needs magging to be any kind of tame imo but i cant decide wether to spend money magging this or to wait and get a better reel to mag (7ht or a better model 6500)

I'm really wantig to try a 7ht i think they look to sit better on the rod.... but then again 6500's are so versatile
                            I will agree with you.

I myself own a Daiwa 7HT Mag (the blue one), and its a hell of a reel for casting. The mag control offered on this reel is simply brilliant, the 'magnofuge' system offers an excellent and precice level of casting control, and with good and fast retrieval power, 5.8:1 ratio.

I used to have a magged Daiwa 7HT Turbo (the red one), and this was also brilliant too, though I did swap it, but if i get another, I'd probably not mag it, as the reel was very weird to handle when reeling in as the maggy knob stuck rite out of the side of the reel, often bruising my arm. Not that the mag system was bad, it was very smooth to cast and would cast a long way, but I just felt the reel would probably give more without the mag system and just running on the centrifugal tension and brake blocks.

As for Abu's the three best that I've seen casting to date are the 6500 i TSR, the 6500 Mag Pro and the 6500 Mag 'high speed'. I used to have the last of the reels I mentioned, and it was a great caster with a very fast retrieve, a ratio of 6.3:1, hense the name 'high speed'.

There's many reels on the market today that are built for casting, but remember at the end of the day you want a reel that can cast you the distance but you can also fish with and handle the 'big one' when it comes along and takes your bait.

A hope this info influences your decision on what to get mate.
                            South Shields & District SAC

Comment

Originally posted by PRIMO MAN View Post
                              Not today for me mate but did last year at walkway.

It's amazing the tone you get out of those lamp posts and it seems to last forever.

Comment

Working...
                              X