Casting in dark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casting in dark

Hi everyone, any info on how I can win the battle with my multi casting in the dark, I just can't seem to get the hang of it, I have tried everything but seem to lose confidence as soon as the lights out. This confidence loss results in nests lol, I have managed to get the hang of casting it in daylight no probs and whack it a fair distance.

Originally posted by Pete from shields View Post
    Hi everyone, any info on how I can win the battle with my multi casting in the dark, I just can't seem to get the hang of it, I have tried everything but seem to lose confidence as soon as the lights out. This confidence loss results in nests lol, I have managed to get the hang of casting it in daylight no probs and whack it a fair distance.
    Is your reel further up your rod.if so try moving it down if your reel seat moves this helped loads with me.you will find that it is more forgiving if something goes wrong with casts.i get hardly no nests at all now and can pendulum this way hitting it about 180 yards.
    Species 2012 - Cod, Flounder, Dab, Plaice, Pollock, Eelpout, Common eel, Granny Fish, Whiting, Coalie, LSD, Rockling, Bass.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete from shields View Post
      Its just practice makes perfect mate.....

I usually turn my headlamp up to full power when casting in the dark so I can see where my lead is relative to where am casting from. This helps me loads and 9 time out of 10 results in the lead and bait going the distance.

You just have to get used to it, you can use all the aids you want to help but in the end its down to you feeling comfortable with casting in the dark. Just keep practicing mate and you'll get the hang of it in no time.
      South Shields & District SAC

Comment

Casting in the dark

Hi Pete my reel is up on my rod and i have no problem at all as i dont think of it being dark as i just belt it out just like being in day light and i used to have that problem and just used a mutiplier untill i got used to it and to me its all in the mind and you must be tensioning up so just relax and how much brake are you letting off as i have practically no brake on at all and i just let it go so there you are. It is really just practice untill it comes to you so the best of luck to you regards Jim.

Comment

Hi Pete i would suggest not trying to belt it out this is were a lot go wrong put some brakes on and just through short forty fifty yard until you build your confidence up then gradually take brakes off

Comment

May sound daft mate but count from when ya take ya thumb off the reel to the sinker hitting the water try this in day light and then try it in the dark takes a bit time to get used to casting in the dark but like said practice makes perfect.

We all get nest in the dark mate.
            Feel free to take a look at my blog.

http://edds-fishingtales.blogspot.com/

Cheers eddie t

Comment

Thanks for the replies lads, I guess it will just take more practice its just the last 2 sessions I have had, once that nest happens in the dark like I say I lose all confidence in casting.

Yes the reel is up but I am using coasters so can try it in down position, it was also mentioned on WSF that I need to listen to the reel aswell, best just keep at it then during day sessions until its second nature like. I have tried the counting method Eddie but when I stop the spool it nearly takes my thumb off as it must be in mid flight.
              Last edited by Pete from shields; 31-03-2012, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eddie t View Post
                May sound daft mate but count from when ya take ya thumb off the reel to the sinker hitting the water try this in day light and then try it in the dark takes a bit time to get used to casting in the dark but like said practice makes perfect.
                We all get nest in the dark mate.
                sound advice, also try slowiing the cast down till u get used to
                casting in dark and u need to get tension right dont do the obvious and mke te tension too tight

Comment

Cheers Bob I will try that, everything's taken on board.

Comment

You could also cast a normal cast in daylight then mark your line with a marker so when you see the marked line coming get your thumb ready but if you snap any of your mainline that wll be no good the counting method sounds good
                    Goal for 2012 a 30lber
                    http://www.bullrushlake.com/

Comment

It's easier if you start fishing in daylight/dusk and then continue fishing into the dark. This way your used to how long the lead will be flying in the conditions and will be prepared. Other than that it's mainly experience I would say, spool noise is a good guide.

Comment

Thanks for your replies lads, I will stick with daytime fishing to get properly used to using the multi, its still only been 3 months (once a week if I'm lucky) so maybe getting ahead of myself using it in dark.

Comment

put a blindfold on during the day wen casting out take it off and pic the birdie out its easier than during the day you will soon get the hang of it its like riding a bike.

most suffer at night at first but you will soon sort it out .
                          did you know panel pins comes in diff sizes ?

Comment

Originally posted by john/r View Post
                            put a blindfold on during the day wen casting out take it off and pic the birdie out its easier than during the day you will soon get the hang of it its like riding a bike.

most suffer at night at first but you will soon sort it out .
                            Or fish in the fog like the saturday before last. Wierd like seeing yer lead flying out and then hey presto, gone, all of a sudden yer fishin in the dark

Comment

Thanks for the replies lads there appreciated, thanks for the PM and offer Bob again very much appreciated thanks mate.

Comment

Working...
                              X