New to casting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to casting

Been having some lessons on pendulum casting in the last few months. Wondered if there was room for middle aged beginners at competitions. Seem to be getting on ok and am not expecting to break any records but get as much enjoyment out of casting as I do out of fishing, quite often more!!!

Hi Colossus...sounds like you have been smitten with the casting bug!!...!
    join the club... I got hooked about ten years ago.

Why not come along to our next event at the NWSA on 26th June...

Its a good day out.

Len
    Len

Comment

Thanks Len. Where does it happen and would I be able to actively participate or would I just be a spectator? As it happens I have got a free day on June 26th so if I can get time off for good behaviour I could come along.

Comment

Just seen your post with directions. Cheers.

Comment

Colossus I started casting last may at the age of 46 .
          just come to the nwsa on the 26th cast and have fun and a good day out the only man to beat is yourself

Comment

Thanks Dave. Am 46 myself. Will try to get along there. What time does it start?

Comment

09.00 but if you get there 08.40 you can talk to len and a few of the lads and see how we set the show up .
              and dont forget you rod and reel you will want to cast.

Comment

Thanks Dave. Having decided to try to get there I had the worst casting session I\'ve had for some time. Cracked off twice and could feel the lead jerking around behind me but couldn\'t work out what was going wrong. Didn\'t manage more than about 120 paces which I assume relates reasonably close to yards. Looking forward to learning a lot. Would love to cast 200 yards+.

Comment

sounds like you are trying to do everything too fast.you should slow it down , the slower you start means the faster you can finish , if you start fast it means you have to finish even faster to keep the compression in the rod other wise you lose the compression and you are casting off an uncompressed rod which means no distance .

Comment

hi pete what happens when you are slow all the time like me i fall asleep during mycast so i have been told ,do you use longer softer rods for slow action , i can remember when i was about level with u at kirkleathem but now you would be way past you have been doing well i think john

Comment

Thanks Pete.
                      I went out again this morning and just went back to basics. Didn\'t gain hugely in distance but was 20 yards better with less effort. Excessive speed isn\'t usually my problem. My instructor, Barry Russell, said I was amazingly slow, which I was gratified to realise was a compliment. I think I was doing well until Easter then I was ill for some time and have been trying too hard to regain lost ground. Am using a Penn 525 mag with a Penn Viper. Before Easter was managing 170 yards with mags turned low. Am not really managing at moment with mags turned below full but today was better. Will try again tomorrow. Incidentally, in case I make it to the meeting , my name is Mike Gerrard.

Comment

Hello John I still use my through actioned rods for tournament casting but also last sunday I also pulled out a primo FT that I have had for a few years gathering dust and gave it a work out and I still used the same slow style and did the same distances with it all I did was alter the arc slightly to put the lead in the same area of the court after a couple of casts

Comment

hello Mike is your instructor any relation to billy (tenbellies )Russell of stranraer .One of the best people to watch cast is Peter thain he is basically a casting machine slow and smooth then an explosive hit at the end of the cast , when you come to the NWSA casting event you will see many variations on a theme but he is the one to watch

Comment

Thanks for the picture. I\'ve heard that name a lot in the last couple of months. Look forward to watching him.

Comment

unfortunately colossus , the picture you have looked at isnt thainy but actually pete the perve ingham. following his style will undoubtably lead to lost yards AND WORRIED SHEEP. if you turn up at nwca theyre a great bunch of lads, and will soon iron out any flaws. might even c u there meself. martin

Comment

Working...
                              X