length of drop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• length of drop

ok lads going to give this tournament casting a go this year after I a bit of practice. but was just wondering what governs the length of drop you use baste on a pendulum cast is it just something your happy with or dose it depend on what length of rod your using or size of weight your going to cast.

It don't matter I don't think just the longer the drop the further u shud cast theoretically
    Species 2013 : crabs, warts

Comment

most people would use a drop on a full pendulum , round about where your top hand sits on the butt of the rod , however you can shorten it to make a soft rod work better , and lengthen it to make a stiff rod feel a little softer , you have to try and find out the perfect drop for each individual and each rod

Comment

Send Arc a pm i'm sure he will give you the best advice on this

Comment

Most lads have different length drops it really depends on your style, stiff or soft rod if your casting style don't suit the drop it ain't gona work.
          When casting if ya weight keeps catching the ground lengthen the drop or that's what I was told.
          Av seen some of the guys have the drop right down to the end of the butt.
          But as mentioned on one of the other posts get in touch with Arc (Bob) great guy knows his stuff, he does lessons at Seaton beach he helped me out big style, it's way better than taking advise off a mate who thinks he knows what to do.
          www.home-improver.com
          Where quality counts

Comment

Originally posted by OuTkast76 View Post
            Send Arc a pm i'm sure he will give you the best advice on this
            Cod Magnet's advice is exactly right

Comment

[QUOTE=OuTkast76;535359]Send Arc a pm i'm sure he will give you the best advice on this[/QU
              cheers lads PM sent

Comment

Originally posted by cod magnet View Post
                most people would use a drop on a full pendulum , round about where your top hand sits on the butt of the rod , however you can shorten it to make a soft rod work better , and lengthen it to make a stiff rod feel a little softer , you have to try and find out the perfect drop for each individual and each rod
                Originally posted by GerryBerry View Post
                Cod Magnet's advice is exactly right
                Thirded. Drop to your top hand is a good starting point. If (and this is a big if) the mechanics of the rest of the cast are good you can then start moving it about until you find a drop thay suits you and the rod you are using.

It is entirely personal and no-one can tell you exactly where your drop should be for you. When I was field casting (CM Crest, QTC 6500, mid-swing pendulum) I ended up with my drop level with my reel (but then I did kind of model my cast on Mark Jakins, the guy who taught me to cast).
                CLIP IT AND WHACK IT

Comment

Lots of variables affect the drop length. Best advice is to stick to the same shockleader as this has a big impact on the feel, some leaders stretch considerably. Powerflex 0.75 is std tournament leader so is a good starting point. Put a couple of tape rings on the rod, start at the top of the hand and gradually try dropping an inch or so at a time. For me the ultimate drop is about 3inch below my top hand but for fishing i use about 6-8 inch less. For the heavier 175gr+ leads it sometimes pays to shorten the leader due to the rod compressing and shortening more but its all about what works for you. Powerful rods like a TXL aren't really affected much no matter what size lead you have on. Something softer will shorten considerably when even 150g+ is used.

The longer drop gives the biggest arc (potentially the longest distance) and also allows more time for your cast but if you use a long drop you can hit the ground on the outswing and if you lay into the cast too early you will probably cut the arc and come over the top losing yards.

Distance casting is all about getting the lead to follow the biggest arc possible with a fast powerful last minute finish. Easier said than done!

Comment

Originally posted by BIG HITTER 1 View Post
                    ok lads going to give this tournament casting a go this year after I a bit of practice. but was just wondering what governs the length of drop you use baste on a pendulum cast is it just something your happy with or dose it depend on what length of rod your using or size of weight your going to cast.
                    Send mr berry a pm he put's a lead a Lang way so Iam lead to believe

Comment

Working...
                    X