Which Reel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Reel

Am thinking of replacing my reel just for use over grass at the moment i use Diawa 7HT i am looking at either a Abu Premium Mag or C3 Mag Pro which i could change bearings and possibly the frame not sure which is the best route to go down any help would be great.

Thanks Mark

Originally posted by m ruff View Post
    Am thinking of replacing my reel just for use over grass at the moment i use Diawa 7HT i am looking at either a Abu Premium Mag or C3 Mag Pro which i could change bearings and possibly the frame not sure which is the best route to go down any help would be great.

Thanks Mark
    if your comfortable with the 7ht why not
    get a mono mag kit fitted??
    i will send you a link later mate!
    if not i would try an akios mate much better
    than the abu's at the moment!!

Comment

Thanks for the reply the 7ht i use ive had since they first came out so its old and seen better days so think ite time for a new one mate

Comment

There's nothing wrong with a 7ht but as a tournament reel you need to seriously tinker with them!!! You can chop the spindles and mono mag them but leave it to a professional. Buying a new casting reel then look at an akios tournamag or shuttle. The shuttle can also be used as a fishing reel, and for the field just remove 2 mags and the plastic ratchet cog.
        If it were me and I was looking for a first field reel I'd look for a used tournament monomagged Abu 5500 or 6500 reel, you should pick up something decent for around £70-80. If your feeling flush look at a qtc monochrome.

Forget fancy bearings and look for a true running reel with a good frame and well balanced spool, check there's no big gap down the side of the spool and there's very little play on the spindle.
        Last edited by CHUKKA; 02-04-2013, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CHUKKA View Post
          There's nothing wrong with a 7ht but as a tournament reel you need to seriously tinker with them!!! You can chop the spindles and mono mag them but leave it to a professional. Buying a new casting reel then look at an akios tournamag or shuttle. The shuttle can also be used as a fishing reel, and for the field just remove 2 mags and the plastic ratchet cog.
          If it were me and I was looking for a first field reel I'd look for a used tournament monomagged Abu 5500 or 6500 reel, you should pick up something decent for around £70-80. If your feeling flush look at a qtc monochrome.

Forget fancy bearings and look for a true running reel with a good frame and well balanced spool, check there's no big gap down the side of the spool and there's very little play on the spindle.
          am looking to spend about £160 was looking at the abu mag pro and a few quid to tinker with it any ideas what needs to be done to a reel to get it up to tournament standered

mark

Comment

am looking to spend about £160 was looking at the abu mag pro and a few quid to tinker with it any ideas what needs to be done to a reel to get it up to tournament standered

mark
            PM sent mate!

Comment

mark
              Chukka's advice is spot on. I'd also add that I was a regular 200 metre (220 yard) caster wiht a vanilla 7HT Mag, .31mm line and a drop of yellow rocket fuel in the bearings. Mark Jakins had the prototype 656 CTM from Akios for testing and cast over 240 metres with an unmodified reel.

Best place to pick up a modified reel is at a casting day, there will almost always be someone there with reels for sale and if you ask nicely you may even get to try before you buy.
              CLIP IT AND WHACK IT

Comment

mark
                I wouldnt buy a new Abu, the Akios is the best reel out of the box and is easily converted without spending any more money, just add the smaller handle and drag, notch the spool release button so that it doesn't jump into gear if you knock the handle. Remove one or 2 of the magnets, remove the plastic ratchet cog, thoroughly clean out the bearings with lighter fluid, allow to dry and add a tiny drop of oil to each bearing and smear the spindle with a tiny bit of thicker oil so that the bearings don't rotate or vibrate on the spindle. Centre and balance the spool,ie hump the line in the middle, hump the line on both sides and fill level, then fill with as much line as required. 0.31 is normal casting line but you can try anything tbh. For on the field you want your line filled to the brim but bear in mind it makes your reel rather lairy!!
                Next is to get the starting mag settings - on full mags you want it spinning for 8-12 secs max. Any faster and you will get overuns. When casting you can loosen the mags for extra distance but first steps first!!
                With the mags off it should spin for 40 secs plus which is way fast enough for most.

Add some 0.75 hi viz shocker min 8 turns, lead link 150gr sinker and off you go.
                Last edited by CHUKKA; 02-04-2013, 07:33 PM.

Comment

I wouldnt buy an Abu, the Akios is the best reel out of the box and is easily converted without spending any more money, just add the smaller handle and drag, notch the spool release button so that it doesn't jump into gear if you knock the handle. Remove one or 2 of the magnets, remove the plastic ratchet cog, thoroughly clean out the bearings with lighter fluid, allow to dry and add a tiny drop of oil to each bearing and smear the spindle with a tiny bit of thicker oil so that the bearings don't rotate or vibrate on the spindle. Centre and balance the spool,ie hump the line in the middle, hump the line on both sides and fill level, then fill with as much line as required. 0.31 is normal casting line but you can try anything tbh. For on the field you want your line filled to the brim but bear in mind it makes your reel rather lairy!!
                  Next is to get the starting mag settings - on full mags you want it spinning for 8-12 secs max. Any faster and you will get overuns. When casting you can loosen the mags for extra distance but first steps first!!
                  With the mags off it should spin for 40 secs plus which is way fast enough for most.

Add some 0.75 hi viz shocker min 8 turns, lead link 150gr sinker and off you go.
                  SUPERB advice there chukka spot on that!

Comment

I wouldnt buy a new Abu, the Akios is the best reel out of the box and is easily converted without spending any more money, just add the smaller handle and drag, notch the spool release button so that it doesn't jump into gear if you knock the handle. Remove one or 2 of the magnets, remove the plastic ratchet cog, thoroughly clean out the bearings with lighter fluid, allow to dry and add a tiny drop of oil to each bearing and smear the spindle with a tiny bit of thicker oil so that the bearings don't rotate or vibrate on the spindle. Centre and balance the spool,ie hump the line in the middle, hump the line on both sides and fill level, then fill with as much line as required. 0.31 is normal casting line but you can try anything tbh. For on the field you want your line filled to the brim but bear in mind it makes your reel rather lairy!!

sounds a doddle chukka lol

Comment

if your going to spend £160 you can't beat the akios shuttle for build quality with a top notch frame you get the best of both fishing or casting you'll not regret it.
                      I have both shuttle and tourno and the shuttle is right up there

Comment

sounds a doddle chukka lol
                        Where are you based, north or south of the Tyne? Im N/Tyneside, If your able to bring a donor reel to me I will sort for you FOC. It sounds worse than it is and is only about 20-30 mins work. You can keep the spare bits if you want to go back to a fishing reel.

I need to get out for some practice so your welcome to tag along some time.

Comment

I have a abu 6500 cs roket with a mono mag fited used on field few times n it flys out its up for sale 65 pound if any body intersted it the chrome 1

Comment

Where are you based, north or south of the Tyne? Im N/Tyneside, If your able to bring a donor reel to me I will sort for you FOC. It sounds worse than it is and is only about 20-30 mins work. You can keep the spare bits if you want to go back to a fishing reel.

I need to get out for some practice so your welcome to tag along some time.
                            Thank you very much for the offer Chukka my 7th is on it's last legs mate going to look at the akios reels in the next couple of weeks

Cheers Mark

Comment

Thank you very much for the offer Chukka my 7th is on it's last legs mate going to look at the akios reels in the next couple of weeks

Cheers Mark
                              No problem Mark

Keep your 7ht as a safe practice reel!

The 65 for sale above could be well worth a look. For a field reel you only need to replace the handle for a smaller paddle one.

Your certainly not going to lose much on that reel if it's not for you.

I use two chrome rockets myself, with monochrome frames and they are the dogs danglies but purely casting reels and no good anywhere near sal****er.

Comment

Working...
                              X