Haddock.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haddock.

Can you still catch Haddock. When i were a lad we used to catch this fish regular on my uncles boat off Hartlepool.

Mick.
    Personal best, 12.5lb Tope Scotland. 22/05/2012.

You still get them of the boats but they are somewhat a rarity now, you get them of the shore and boats at Ireland and Scotland. In the last three years i have only seen two caught from the shore. There numbers have fallen compared to years ago this is through the nets depliting stocks.
    You still get scottish haddock of the piers etc but you don't get as much haddock as say 15years ago.

Comment

Yes i can even remember big bags of haddocks being caught from trawlers in the late 80s and early 90s and was told from my grandad who was a cobble owner during the 70s and 80s that they used to catch loads on the handlines just half a mile off the blast beach during the pit hay days.I have a photograph of him holding up some very big haddock.
      Pity those days are gone now.

Comment

Caught 2 off the beach at sandy bay about 8 years ago, only small but nice to catch a different species

Comment

haddock

a couple of miles of ryhope dene you used to catch jumbo haddock by 1970s disaperard very rare now tony

Comment

only place i know where you can catch haddock in good numbers is around the pumping station off Blyth, some fifty mile off though. there is a mark off Amble where you can still get quite a lot. But the areas such as off Souter where you could get a lot years ago no longer hold them
            Alan

Comment

theres still a lot of haddocks down hendon way ,,but they leave there used needles lying around
              Panel Pin Champ

Comment

Two friends fished off hartlepool at the last bank holiday and had a few haddock. Only small but they all count . Not sure where as the skipper of flamer2 would not tell me ...only kidding john if you are reading this.

Cheers
                dave
                Save our Sharks Member
                SACN NE Regional Co-Ordinator
                NSFC RSA representative

Comment

yes they have certainly vanished somewhere, again they may make a comeback just like codiling as year by year you always see a good run of summer codling pound-pound half fish upwards so maybe they could possible return but again its whether the nets are catching the bulk head of them which are fairly close to the shoreline. However its like bait beds if it gets dug for years and years and if not left for some time the worms will not have time to spawn and grow.Like boulmer not many people dig their in the summer so the worms have got time to spawn and grow and this is why theres lots of worms their because it only gets hammered(well dug) in the winter.

Comment

I think some of the Eyemouth boats still fish for Haddock on the soft ground a few miles out from the Craster area. I could be wrong but I have seen them down that way before .

Neil.
                    .................................................. ................

Neil.

Comment

Working...
                    X